Mosti Mondiale first racking and transfering sediment.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rm-mi

Junior
Reaction score
I am making my first kit and the directions say to tranfer the sediment when doing the first racking. My question is when using a siphon you will not get the sediment, so do you stir and mix or not worry about getting all the sediment up.

You have a few choices. Stir up the lees and then rack, use a bucket with a spigot on it and move with that after a good stir, or rack most of it and then pour the rest in a funnel into the carboy. Good question and

Welcome to the Forum!

It isn't hard to get the sediment over. You can do it with the auto siphon or if you are using the spigot on a bucket just tilt the bucket. You will get it there.

appleman got a little confused on the question ,why would you transfer sediment after primary into secondary,or did i read it wrong?never heard of a kit telling you to move that way.

Mosti wants you to move all the sediment over. Winexpert says to leave it behind. Different companies, different philosophies.

joeswine Mosti uses a different method - and it sure works well for their wine. They have recently refined them even more. Yes, they want you to transfer the solids in the bottom between primary and secondary. Here is a part of one of their direction sheets.

Step

Between a specific density of 1,010 and 1,030, you can now completely transfer the must in a sterile
carboy or demi-john (of larger capacity in order to avoid possible over-spills from the still active
fermentation). Make sure to include all deposits from the bottom of the pail (which still contains a lot of
nutrients for the yeast). Apply an airlock containing a standard solution of potassium metabisulfite (it is
not necessary at this stage to have a full carboy, as the CO2 generated protects the must) and let the must
ferment for one (1) other week. Continue taking your specific gravity readings at least every second day.

Thanks for the replies, I should be racking this weekend and will probably stir up and use the siphon.

Back