RJ Spagnols First kit in the bucket

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcrnbrd

Reaction score
I finally got my first kit started yesterday afternoon. My only questions today is the directions say I need to wait 14 days to move to secondary. Everything I have read on here is 5-7 days when sg hits 0.998. And also how do you people have so much patience? I want to dip in it now.

Each of the kit manufacturers have their own directions for making their kits based on their methods and ingredients. It is best to follow each one's directions to obtain the best results. Most kits here have been with the Winexpert kits and that is their instructions to wait about a week for first racking. R.J.Spagnols(Orchard Breezin') uses the 14 days. I have noticed that they do take a bit longer initially to get the SG down to the desired range. Follow their instructions. Varying it a day or two if necessary to fit your schedule won't harm anything.

How do we do it with the patience? Simple, get so many under your belt that a day or two on any one won't bother you

After doing quite a few of these kits I actually prefer it over the other's instructions as it makes degassing the kits really easy.

I hope my patience gets better, I have checked that bucket 3 times already. I think I am addicted.

Arent we all! I have 1 in primary, 1 in carboy clearing, and 1 Im waiting for the grape skin pack that was missing from my kit, should be here early this week. Only problem is that i need another brew belt as my mead is plugging along very slowly in the carboy! I really dont want to buy another brew belt but that patience thing might get the better of me this time!
smiley4.gif

Oh yeah, you're addicted alright! And it doesn't get any better, or worse, haven't figured that part out just yet.
smiley5.gif

Colder, slower fermentations are fine, if not better for whites anyways. Some yeast, like EC-1118, premier curv'ee will ferment down to 45 degrees, and D-47 at 50 degrees, the rest are generally higher, in the 60 degree range.

True, just beware as you are voiding the warranties instructions by going that low.

No ya don't........

W.E. even says, "NOTE: The lower your fermenting temperature, the longer it will take to reach this stage"

Thats a quote from their instructions for step #1.

EDIT:

I also checked RJ Spagnols site, and they say the same thing.

However I should add for clrification, that the yeast should only be added to a must temp between 65 to 75 (depending on Manufacturer). Once fermentation takes off is when I lower the temp to slow fermentation, which is ok to do.

Edited by: jobe05

I just read the instructions on W.E site and it says to place in an area with 65-75* temperatures. On RJS's website it says to get temp up to 70-80* . After that it only mentions to have it between 59-66 for clarifying purposes after adding fining agent. Mosti says 70-76*. Now we all know that temps can be lower but it does not recommend that for kits not because it cant be done but because they dont want anyone to have any problems. Whites will benefit from it but a lot of kits dont specify what yeast they are using so you might be taking a chance unless you substitute the included yeast with 1 you know will work and then you have just voided their warranty.

All this raving about warranties gives me a headache. The vast majority of products purchased come with some form of a warranty, exclusions, federal and state regulations, limits, yadda yadda yadda. And the vast majority of these products see very few claims due to them. They are the manufacture stating the quality of there product. Take comfort in that if you need to. Folks, learn the hobby, research a little (like here) make a few small batches of fruit wine, buy a kit, follow the directions the best you can, and enjoy the hobby. Ask questions; share what you learn with others, and learn from your mistakes. If the warranty is the biggest reason to do this, or your greatest concern, find another hobby, this isn’t meant for you, way to risky. Have fun and live a little.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

YES IT CAN GET WORSE&lt;IT PULLS YOU DEEPER AND DEEPER INTO THE GRAPE LIFE AND THERES NO GETTING OUT&lt;AND THATS JUST FINE
smiley2.gif
RELAX HAVE A GRAPE TIME &lt;ENJOY&lt;RIGHT JWM
smiley20.gif
Edited by: joeswine

Ok I moved wine from primary to carboy tonite. I followed directions to a t. Stirred with a drill and got a lot of foam. Sg 0.998 at 70 degrees. Only problem is this foam woyld not go away so I topped off to an inch bellow bung. Is this normal for the foam to stay around?

Sometimes it will do this, there is othing wrong, it should settle down after a few hours.

Yeah I am gonna give til morning and check. To busy watching the snow fall. First time I have seen snow fall in about 5 yrs. Its a special thing down here in the south. Of course it wont stick but it is still nice to watch it fall.
smiley4.gif

dcrnbrd,

Have fun with the snow. Good job! Once addicted to this hobby, you should never waste a opportunity for diversion.
smiley36.gif

Otherwise, you'll find yourself camped out around the perking fermenter counting the seconds between bubbles in the airlock.
smiley22.gif

Or worse, staring longingly at the beautiful wine aging gracefully in your carboy.
smiley24.gif

Or even worse, trying to drown out the voices of the empty carboys demanding that you start another kit, and soon!
smiley29.gif

Have fun
smiley2.gif

Ken

Best to find another hobby to do while waiting for wine. I get lost in my woodworking shop for a diversion!!!
smiley20.gif

Ok wine has been in secondary for a week and tried it today, very blackberry. Good taste just not much as far as alchohol. I plan on bottling it this weekend to free up my carboy(I only have 2). Do I need to degas again before I bottle?

As long as you are not sitting on any lees a little degassing would be ine just to make sure you ave done it sufficiently.

Back