First batch for 08

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CajunTim

Reaction score
Hiya All,

OK, I know it’s already 8 weeks into 08 but I now have a little free time to start me first batch of wine. This is going to be a mandarin orange wine. The recipe is from Jack Keller’s site.
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
This is my mandarin tree from where the juice will come.
20080222_062505_m1a.JPG

This may be enough for my 6-gallon batch. I will squeeze them tonight and see if I have to pick more. I need a total of 9 pints of juice.

20080222_062611_m2a.JPG

Nice tree you have there. I am looking to start one of these as well so make sure to keep us posted :).

Scuba

Man I wish we had those up here. I love tangerines. I was going to say they looked just like tangerines and looked them up and viola- I guess they are one and the same! I bet that will be a really good wine!

WOW!!! AWESOME!!!! Fresh fruit...meanwhile we are knee deep in snow.

You folks in the south are very fortunate to have fresh fruit this time of the year...By the time produce gets delivered up here it looks like it's had a birthday.

Thanks all,
It's good to be back, even if it just from time to time. Yea, that tree looks like that every year. I have been eatting from it for6 weeks now and it's still full.

OK, this is what I had left after doing 11 pints of juice.
20080224_063021_o1a.JPG

This is now ready to go and just put the yeast to it last night.
20080224_063208_o2a.JPG

CT what type of mandarin orange is that I would like to plant some also. Can we see a pic of one peeled? They look delicious.Edited by: mississippi mud

M. Mud
I am not sure what type it is, but I will send a pic when I get home. They do make a lot of juice for each orange.

M Mud, this is a pic of how they look peeled.
20080225_031212_o4a.JPG

This is the yeasties doing there thing.
20080225_031347_o3a.JPG

mississippi mud said:
CT what type of mandarin orange is that I would like to plant some also. Can we see a pic of one peeled? They look delicious.

It appears to be an Owari Satsuma, Very popular backyard citrus tree here is South Louisiana. Satsumas are profilic, very sweet, almost no seeds and very easy to peel. The one drawback is they will not survive tempatures below 25 degrees F. I have seen them planted in pots though.

Old Submariner The one drawback is they will not survive tempatures below 25 degrees F. I have seen them planted in pots though.[/QUOTE said:
Alright! I should be able to grow them then.

.......Oh cr*p. I just realized that said below 25 degrees F, not 25 degrees below F
smiley36.gif

Ipurchased plants afew weeks agoat Lowe'sand it was between Owari and the brown select. For some reason I went with th brown select. after seeing this TREE I'll be making some room for an owari.
smiley20.gif
thanks for the pic CT.

ONE MORE ON CHOKES
DO I HAVE A PROBLUM? I GOT IN A HURRY LAST FALL
PICKING. THEY MIGHT NOT RIPE ENOUGH.THEY ARE A
LITTLE ON THE RED SIDE. WAS GOING TO START STEAMING
TODAY. WILL IT MAKE A BIG DIFFERENT ? THATS A LOT OF
WORK TO DO AND HAVE TO DUMP IT. CAN IT BE SAVED IF
THEIR NOT RIPE ENOUGHT?

?

R.E.T. said:
ONE MORE ON CHOKES
DO I HAVE A PROBLUM? I GOT IN A HURRY LAST FALL
PICKING. THEY MIGHT NOT RIPE ENOUGH.THEY ARE A
LITTLE ON THE RED SIDE. WAS GOING TO START STEAMING
TODAY. WILL IT MAKE A BIG DIFFERENT ? THATS A LOT OF
WORK TO DO AND HAVE TO DUMP IT. CAN IT BE SAVED IF
THEIR NOT RIPE ENOUGHT?

?

Are you meaning your Choke Cherries were not totaly ripe????

It seems that ineach cluster some are ripe and some are not so ripe....

Update, today is day three and the yeasties are doing there thing very good. When I get home today I will be throwing the bag out as there is little to none of the orange left and I dan't want the seeds hanging out in there just for no reason.

YES. AFTER YOU PICK THEM AND GET THEM IN THE SUN,
THEY ARE PRETTY RED. THIS IS THE FRIST TIME WITH
CHOKE CHERRY. I WOULD HATE DUMP 45 LB. OUT.

Latest posts

Back