First bactch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spent a couple hours cleaning off bottles.
Time for bottling on monday. :)

Goodfella said:
Nice!!! I would like to see some photos, and maybe the labels.

I'll be sure to post some snapshots of my first bottling. I have the WE labels for the Bergamais. They are alright but not mine.

Just ordered some more supplies today
<t></t><table style="width: 416px; height: 318px;" align="center" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0"><t><tr><td nowrap="nowrap" width="10%">
</td>
<td nowrap="nowrap" width="10%">4600</td>
<td width="20%">
<div align="left">Airlock 3 Piece</td>
<td nowrap="nowrap" width="15%"><div align="right">2</td>
<td nowrap="nowrap" width="15%"><div align="right">$1.09</td>
<td nowrap="nowrap" width="15%"><div align="right">$2.18</td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td nowrap="nowrap" width="10%">
</td>
<td nowrap="nowrap" width="10%">6202B</td>
<td width="20%">
<div align="left">Corks - Agglomerate, Bulk #8 X 1.50</td>
<td nowrap="nowrap" width="15%"><div align="right">1</td>
<td nowrap="nowrap" width="15%"><div align="right">$14.99</td>
<td nowrap="nowrap" width="15%"><div align="right">$14.99</td>
</tr>

<tr>
</td>
<td nowrap="nowrap" width="10%">3403</td>
<td width="20%">
<div align="left">Bourgovin RC 212 5 grams</td>
<td nowrap="nowrap" width="15%"><div align="right">$0.85</td>
</tr>

<tr>
</td>
<td nowrap="nowrap" width="10%">3405</td>
<td width="20%">
<div align="left">71B-1122 5 grams</td>
</tr>

<tr>
</td>
<td nowrap="nowrap" width="10%">3410</td>
<td width="20%">
<div align="left">EC-1118 5 grams</td>
</tr>

<tr>
</td>
<td nowrap="nowrap" width="10%">6381</td>
<td width="20%">
<div align="left">Isinglass</td>
<td nowrap="nowrap" width="15%"><div align="right">2</td>
<td nowrap="nowrap" width="15%"><div align="right">$1.49</td>
<td nowrap="nowrap" width="15%"><div align="right">$2.98</td>
</tr>

<tr>
</td>
<td nowrap="nowrap" width="10%">4612</td>
<td width="20%">
<div align="left">Gum Stopper #6 Drilled Rubber</td>
<td nowrap="nowrap" width="15%"><div align="right">$0.99</td>
<td nowrap="nowrap" width="15%"><div align="right">$0.99</td></tr></t></table>
Hopefully these corks are the standard size and will work.
And I'm going off what pelican said about the #6 stopper fitting 1 gallon jugs.

Also go the double lever hand corker. I took a look at the plastic plunger one I have from my kit and there is no way i can do 30 bottles with that thing this week.
Can't afford the floor corker yet but maybe for XMas :)

That dble lever does the job OK. When you do get the floor corker start getting the #9 x 1.75 perfect agglom corks form George, they are the best out there period IMO!

wade said:
That dble lever does the job OK. When you do get the floor corker start getting the #9 x 1.75 perfect agglom corks form George, they are the best out there period IMO!

I will be sure to order those next time. I think I bought #8 recently hope they work.

Wade,

What (if any) is the difference between 2310B corks and 2320B corks?

wade said:
start getting the #9 x 1.75 perfect agglom corks form George, they are the best out there period IMO!

I think it'll be good to have a couple of corkers, the fiance wants to help bottle tomorrow. :)

Last night we bottled.

20091117_184156_wine11.jpg

kat filling bottles
20091117_184245_wine12.jpg

Me starting the autosiphon
one of the best upgrades i made to my kit.

20091117_184750_wine13.jpg

everything bottled. 30 in total.
20091117_184936_wine14.jpg

there is one bottle. labeling will hopefully occur tomorrow afternoon.

Good going on the first batch. Now that it is in the bottle, you have a start to your inventory. I would suggest that you take a bit longer from start to bottling in the future. Although it looks clear to you, if you bottle soon like this, you will likely get a dusting of sediment in each bottle. When it is truly clear, it will sparkle through the glass unless it is a truly deep, extra bodied wine.

Now comes a bit of wait for it to age a bit. Good luck on that one. When you first get started and have nothing else to drink, it is darned near impossible to wait it out!

There is nuthing like seeing your first wine in the bottles. The next best thing is sharing it with friends and have them say " this is better than store bought".

admiral said:
It feels good get the wine bottled, doesn't it?
smiley32.gif
So, what's next?
smiley1.gif

Next is getting the Blueberry Shiraz into secondary. I'm just wait for the SG to drop a little more. May have to pop the Brew belt on since it's starting to get yucky out.
I also have my white grape/peach wine to rack off the lees and rack into glass. I have my new #6 stopper and airlock at the house waiting for me.

appleman said:
Good going on the first batch. Now that it is in the bottle, you have a start to your inventory. I would suggest that you take a bit longer from start to bottling in the future. Although it looks clear to you, if you bottle soon like this, you will likely get a dusting of sediment in each bottle. When it is truly clear, it will sparkle through the glass unless it is a truly deep, extra bodied wine.

Now comes a bit of wait for it to age a bit. Good luck on that one. When you first get started and have nothing else to drink, it is darned near impossible to wait it out!

I do see the point of waiting a bit longer.
Since this kit was a quick kit, I figured it shouldn't do too much harm to get it bottled and my carboy emptied.
One of the local high schools is having a fruit sale this weekend and I'm going to try to get Kat to run up there and get some things for me while I'm at work.

So, I made a couple of smaller bottles of this wine to taste in about a month. I added some extra kmeta so it can age a little longer than the 45 days that the kit recommended. I'm excited about tasting it after it settles down.

The feeling of having an actual inventory is very rewarding. Now to build it up with some variety. I know I'll be giving some away for Christmas presents if it turns out right. Which, so far it has. It's a bit thin but I suppose that is the Kit Taste that keeps being mentioned.

20091118_192007_wine15.jpg
The labels worked nicely. I'm going to put a seperate stick on the back with the ABV and date.

Latest posts

Back