First bactch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20091026_095108_wine7.jpg

Boxed wine? ;) I did this to keep light out since I don't have dark places in the basement apartment we have.
20091026_095301_wine8.jpg

This is what's left of the lees

I didn't see a spigot on your Primary?

When transferring from Primary into Secondary (fermentation) its much easier to just use the spigot and the transfer tube that came with your kit. Since your transferring everything including the yeast it only takes about 5 min and your done.

Further rackings you will always be trying to leave stuff behind (lees, sediment, etc) so you will want a racking cane for sure after that.

God job!

ibglowin said:
I didn't see a spigot on your Primary?

When transferring from Primary into Secondary (fermentation) its much easier to just use the spigot and the transfer tube that came with your kit. Since your transferring everything including the yeast it only takes about 5 min and your done.

Further rackings you will always be trying to leave stuff behind (lees, sediment, etc) so you will want a racking cane for sure after that.

God job!

No spigot on the primary, didn't come with one.
I have a racking cane and tubing. It was interesting and took a bit to get used to but it worked. I've seen spigots in Georges kit's. Next primary I buy just may be from him.

I don't like using the buckets with spigots and have never had a problem. But you still need to have several buckets so you can have several wines going at the same time
smiley4.gif
! You can always just cover the carboy with a towel or t-shirt.
VC

So I checked on my wine today and the bubbles have slowed to a crawl.
It got a little chilly last night so I put the heat on this morning.
The wine stays in the bedroom with us. We have a tiny place.
It's shooting out one clump of bubbles every 30-40 seconds even after a few hours of having the air temp around 75 f and the must temp at 69 f.
Should I worry too much about it or just let it do it's thing?

vcasey said:
I don't like using the buckets with spigots and have never had a problem. But you still need to have several buckets so you can have several wines going at the same time
smiley4.gif
! You can always just cover the carboy with a towel or t-shirt.
VC

I got a towel to cover it with. I gotta save up to get some more fermenters and a couple more wine kits. My job eliminated the retention bonuses they were supposed to pay me and cut our benefits back. In addition to that they raised what we pay for health insurance by almost $100 a pay period. They cut out the company holiday party and christmas bonuses as well.
If they cut any more Christmas will be very tough. Doing direct care doesn't pay a lot as it is, but it's a job while I finish my bachelors degree.

It's the must temp that you really need to watch. At that temp it may take a bit longer but it is nothing to worry about. When you go to degas you'll want to try and get the must a little warmer about 75. You may want to consider a brew belt or I'm sure some folks who live in the north can give ideas. Cold is usually not much of an issue in Fla.

Goodfella, my luck would lead towards the darn thing leaking and I really do not want to take that chance. We do have a bottling bucket for hubby's beer and I could never repeat the things he calls it, really the poor dog hides. He is close to finishing his kegerator so he can retire the bucket soon.
VC

I've been eyeing up the brewbelt, but I'm a bit wary of using it on my better bottles. Are they safe to use on them?

I ordered a brew belt and a few packs of RC 212 just to have some one hand.
The brewbelt is going on the carboy, hopefully to restore some semblance of movement to my secondary fermentation. It put's out a bubble or two every 30 seconds or so.

Today is day four of secondary.

20091029_094345_wine9.jpg

You not going to have a whole lot of activity in secondary even at 70 degrees. What is the SG right now? If its ~1.000 your almost done. If its still 1.020 then you have a ways to go and for sure want to keep this guy warm until he finishes.

ibglowin said:
You not going to have a whole lot of activity in secondary even at 70 degrees. What is the SG right now? If its ~1.000 your almost done. If its still 1.020 then you have a ways to go and for sure want to keep this guy warm until he finishes.

I'll check the SG in a bit. The kit instructions (I know they are but a simple guideline and not concrete) say 10 days for secondary. I'm in day 4.
I'll get right back with the SG

SG is around .997 at 69 deg. f.
I really need to invest in a graduated cylinder...and a longer wine thief.
The instructions say to monitor it for a few days and if it's stable, start the clearing stage. It's been just 4 days in secondary though when it called for ten.
The only thing I can think of is during primary the instructions said 5 to 7 days and i did 7. So... Looks like I may be stirring the sediment (thats the WE instruction) and the clearing agents in the next couple of days.

Check it again in a few days. If its still 997 (and most likely it will) your done. It will not hurt the wine to let it sit a few days longer. There is no hurry as they say. If it has oak stir it to help disperse the oak flavor.

No oak in this kit. I'll check it again on monday if it's stable, I'll get it ready for clearing.

The SG readings have been stable at .996 for three days.
I stablelized with the Kmeta and Sorbate. Used my drill attached mixer (I want the Stainless steel mix stir but could only get the plastic one for now.) Added chitosan and mixed like crazy.
Had the bubbles come up and fizzing loudly. No volcano though. Instead of the 30-60 seconds in the instruction i went for about two mintues, reversing the stirring direction every so often.
Should I degas again in a little while?

Tried to upload a picture of all the bubbles but got an error

Server Error in Forum Application
An error has occured while uploading file/image.
Please check the Dundas Upload Component is installed on the server.
Please contact the forum administrator.

Support Error Code:- err_SQLServer_create_Dundas_Upload_object
File Name:- functions_upload.asp

Error details:-
Server object
006~ASP 0177~Server.CreateObject Failed~800401f3

Should be enough for now. I would degas after your next racking. When degassing you do not want to create bubbles (using high speed) rather stir at low speed

Yeah I can see the gas working it's way out now.
Just placed an order with George.
I have a new kit and some chemistry for starting my first all fresh fruit wine.
As for this batch, it's going to clear for the 14 days and then get racked again.
I have 2 new roughly 3 gallon fermenters (frosting buckets from my buddy's shop) to start some 1 gallon batches I've been meaning to get going.

This is a real adventure and being able to keep a log of what's going on in this thread is a great resource. Thanks to everyone for tips and advice.
Here picture uploader is still broken. I'll put a picture or two up after it's working.

Server Error in Forum Application
An error has occured while uploading file/image.
Please check the Dundas Upload Component is installed on the server.
Please contact the forum administrator.

Support Error Code:- err_SQLServer_create_Dundas_Upload_object
File Name:- functions_upload.asp

Error details:-
Server object
006~ASP 0177~Server.CreateObject Failed~800401f3

Back