First bactch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. Next time I need labels ( George supplied some labels for my Blueberry Shiraz ) I'll do my own images in photoshop and InDesign (Put my college education to use). I also have little white labels I'm probably going to stick on the back of the bottle with the date on it.

It tastes good for being so young. It's got the sulphite bite but it's aromatic, clear and has some legs in the glass.
A bit thin, but it was an inexpensive kit to learn on. It also has a bit of a jolly rancher to it but I think it's barely noticeable.
I think it will mellow out with some time. I plan to open one of my tester bottles up next month at the wine tasting we're having at the house.
Me and Kat decided to have friends over once a month and everyone brings a bottle to try.

20091119_204156_wine0121.jpg

So, I checked on my wine today and there is some sediment in the bottles.
Only a couple of them are really bad and some are crystal clear.
That's even after letting the carboy set an extra few days and racking to a clean carboy before bottling.
Maybe it's just the effects of not having a filter.
So, perhaps I'll invest in one. I'm just a college guy with a family so money is pretty tight. Any economical recommendations that will work with my better bottle carboys?

Most people don't filter red wines - just white and fruit wines. The wine probably just needed to settle a bit in the new carboy before you bottled. I would guess that the really bad bottles were the ones at the end, when you were (of course) trying not to waste any wine and you got the sediment that was more concentrated towards the bottom of the carboy. It probably would have settled in a day or two and then you could have either racked once more or been veryveryvery careful when you bottled.

I recently started filtering some of my fruit wines and I use a gravity filter. It is affordable but it takes a lot longer than the much more expensive options - the 5 gallon batch I filtered took about an hour. There are some tutorials on this forum you might want to look at if you are interested in filters.

Another inexpensive option would be to use a fining agent like Sparkalloid or Super kleer. But a lot of people make wine without ever filtering it - just letting time do its magic.

Congrats on your finished wine though! I had a batch like that once and I just kept the sedimenty ones for serving at home (pouring carefully - no one but you will notice).
smiley1.gif

Well for my reds, I'll have to rack to clean carboy, degas and maybe rack once again giving plenty of time to settle.
First kit was meant for learning anyway.
But I'm stil linterested in getting a filter setup as I plan on making a crapload of fruit wines soon.

Sometimes all the sediment does not completely clear out and with red wines its hard to tell. A couple of extra weeks in the carboy after racking it off the clearing sediment may have helped. Most folks are just trying to get that first batch in the bottle, so its not all that uncommon. When you drink the ones that are really bad, pour them through a coffee filter before serving.
I would put that gravity filter on my wish list if I were you. For something inexpensive it can sure make those while wines shine and they work great for small batches.
VC

I use the Vinebrite filter, too, even on reds. It is important to have a well clarified wine before filtering or the filter pad will load up. If that happens you have to tear the whole thing down and put in a new pad. I don't filter until I have done several rackings and the wine looks clear. Even a white that looks clear will look clearer after filtering.

Yes, the first time I filtered I didn't expect much at all because it *looked* clear before I did it. When I was done, that wine was sparkling! What a difference (and that was just usinga gravity filter).

Yesterday was the first time I used my filter on a white wine... I absolutly could not believe the results. I thought the wine was clear before, I didn't know if filtering would help.... NOW, the wine is glowing!!!!

Glad to see some positive results of filtering. Now I just want payday to come so I can place my order. I'll have my $500 in for the FWV Club in no time lol.

I bought a beer/wine filter plate and instead of applying pressure I used my aspirator pump and pulled the wine through the filter plate.

The first wine I filtered was my dandelion and boy what a difference!!!!!

BOB

fivebk said:
I bought a beer/wine filter plate and instead of applying pressure I used my aspirator pump and pulled the wine through the filter plate.

The first wine I filtered was my dandelion and boy what a difference!!!!!

BOB

If I was using glass carboys, I'd go that route but costs are currently limiting me to better bottles.

Back