First bactch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xanxer82

Reaction score
I just started the must for my first kit.
It's the WineExpert - Vintners Reserve Bergamias.
Going to add the yeast in a few hours.
I also made my first order from George for another Carboy and stopper and a Mix-stir.
:)
I was super careful with sanitizing and all. Can't wait to see some results.

Oh I almost forgot to mention.
SG 1.085
6 gallon batch.
pictures later.
20091019_154334_wine1.jpg

20091019_154600_wine2.jpg

WELCOME !
You chose a great hobby (obsession). Read, follow and understand the directions that came with the kit.
Now, Ckeck back here ir you are not sure of something.]
GOOD LUCK !
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif

20091019_155541_wine3.jpg
Ok So I pitched the yeast after making sure the temperature was good at 70 deg.
I followed the directions from the kit to sprinkle them on top without stirring. I'd have preferred to have activated them in a little luke warm water first, but I'm sticking to the kit instructions for my very fist wine.

This picture is about 2 hours after pitching.

I know another update... Just checked on the wine and it's talking :) I can hear a few bubbles popping every now and again.

xanxer82 said:
ibglowin said:
Thats a good sign, usually things get cooking good by 24 hours.

I think I'm over excited about it.

Nah I doubt that you are ..... Wait til you hear it today...... Snap Crackle and Pop got nothin.......

xanxer82 [QUOTE said:
I think I'm over excited about it.
Nothing like the smell of fermenting wine in the morning ! ! !
smiley20.gif

If your not excited then something is wrong. Don't forget to get an extra hydrometer with one of the orders JMHO.

That's what I was telling my fiance that I needed to order an extra hydrometer.
I'll post a picture of the wine when it wakes up a little more today.

20091020_092104_wine4.jpg
I just checked the wine today and it sounds like rice crispies in milk. Snap Crackle Pop! and Hick-up ;-)
Yesterday, I left the lid just laying on top since fruit flies are all dead this time of year. But now I snapped down the lid and put an airlock on.

What kind of music are you playing it? You are playing it some music aren't you? And give that fermenter a little hug each day, tell it how much you love it and how excited you are about wat it is producing.
smiley4.gif

I did give it a hug and my fiance laughed and laughed.
Been playing rock music in the mornings. In the afternoon it's music from the kid's games.
Today it's bubbling along just fine. First racking will be monday if the bubbles slow down.

I'm going to Rack on Monday. The gear I have to do this is a Racking Cane and siphon tubing with clamp. Carboy wedge.
I know to run the tub to the bottom of the carboy to reduce splashing and go slow to avoid volcano. Also going to put some of the wine into another container to avoid overfilling/volcano.
Anything other things to watch out for?

Make sure to start off with the racking cane high in the full carboy and then slowly work down. This prevents the accidental slip and stirring it all up early in the game and racking a very cloudy wine into your new cleaned carboy. I always keep the carboy tipped when its clearing also so that all the sediment goes to 1 side and then I gently tip it to the other side and rack off the clean side. you get a much clearer wine this way and more of it so less topping up is needed and less rackings. Get yourself an autosiphon also as this cheap tool is just 1 of many tools that makes life so much easier and faster and makes wine making that much more enjoyable.

So today was my first experience with racking.
I bought a big plastic tub and mixed up a couple gallons of water and no rinse easy clean to sanitize everything.
The SG was at .097 -.098
I had to siphon the old fashioned way so I made sure to everything was clean and set the primary on the table and the carboy below.
I decided to rack into the carboy that was inside of a carboard box because I really don't have anywhere light free to keep it.
Here are some pictures :)
20091026_084239_wine5.jpg

Getting the siphon process started.
20091026_084432_wine6.jpg

Nice and sanitized!

Back