Finer Wine Kit Finer Wine Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you ferment in a Brute, how soon do you transfer to carboys (or other sealed containers)? I've considered this but I've started running EM on pretty much everything I do so containers like this don't work for me. I've been considering purchasing a large fermentation vessel that seals tight and has airlock capability to get around this challenge.
How long is your EM? If it's 6 to 8 weeks, then I agree with you.

If it's a couple of weeks? Wine is heavily outgassing for a number of weeks post-fermentation, so a short EM in a container that is not perfectly sealed should not be a problem.

How long is your EM? If it's 6 to 8 weeks, then I agree with you.

If it's a couple of weeks? Wine is heavily outgassing for a number of weeks post-fermentation, so a short EM in a container that is not perfectly sealed should not be a problem.
Typically 5 to 6 weeks from pitching yeast, so 3 to 4 weeks longer than normal. Long enough that I don't trust a garbage can with plastic wrap. Lol. Plus the inevitable fruit flies would eventually figure out a way in. Would be an awful waste and not worth the risk. Might consider purchasing a large speidel at some point. I've nearly pulled the trigger on more than one occasion already. If I ever see a sale that is too good to pass up, it'll probably happen.

Just pulled a FWK Syrah (Forte) out of freezer to start and realized that I put the skins in the refrigerator when it arrived a couple of months ago. Given comments in this thread about always storing skins in freezer, I am looking for advice:
- Toss them?
- Smell test?
- Other?

I do have another kit in the freezer (skins frozen, too), so could substitute those and order more - would hate to ruin a full batch with bad skins. And hate to throw away two packs of skins.

Just pulled a FWK Syrah (Forte) out of freezer to start and realized that I put the skins in the refrigerator when it arrived a couple of months ago. Given comments in this thread about always storing skins in freezer, I am looking for advice:
- Toss them?
- Smell test?
- Other?

I do have another kit in the freezer (skins frozen, too), so could substitute those and order more - would hate to ruin a full batch with bad skins. And hate to throw away two packs of skins.
If they are bad, they are likely moldy. I would think you could tell by looking at them. If you even think for a second, I would toss them. You can always use your other skins or add raisins, currants or other dried fruit to provide a boost.

Just started preordered Bordeaux FWK with 2 extra skin bags. SG was 1.094 but pH a little high - 4.0. I recalibrate the meter just to make sure and still the same reading.

Just started preordered Bordeaux FWK with 2 extra skin bags. SG was 1.094 but pH a little high - 4.0. I recalibrate the meter just to make sure and still the same reading.
Have you inoculated yet? If not, wait until tomorrow morning, give the must a good stir, and check pH again. If it's still above 3.9, add a small amount of acid to bring it below 3.9.

I have concerns about making the kit too acidic, and as I like to say, it's far easier to add more than to take some out.

I think I should stop panicking. I said I just started but I actually I added yeast Saturday evening and ph was 4.0. I checked right now and it's 3.7 so I'm good.

Typically 5 to 6 weeks from pitching yeast, so 3 to 4 weeks longer than normal. Long enough that I don't trust a garbage can with plastic wrap. Lol. Plus the inevitable fruit flies would eventually figure out a way in. Would be an awful waste and not worth the risk. Might consider purchasing a large speidel at some point. I've nearly pulled the trigger on more than one occasion already. If I ever see a sale that is too good to pass up, it'll probably happen.
The longer you wait the more expensive they will get and the worse that sale will look. I certainly like mine.

Curious which of the new FWKs offerings y'all are most interested/excited to try.

I ordered the Chianti. I'm glad they were able to source Sangio again.
I’m considering a single varietal Sangiovese, already preordered one each of Zin, Merlot, Syrah, and a Petit Sirah

My Winery Series Petite Sirah will arrive today. I'll need to do the math to see if there's any cost savings by doing the larger format kit. I initially thought so, but maybe not.

Now, as far as fermenters go, I have a 20 gallon on standby. But, I am a little concerned that it might not be big enough to avoid spillage from foaming during active fermentation. If the concentrate is 5 gallons, and we're adding 10-12 gallons, plus 9 skin packs. I feel like I'll be getting dangerously close to the top.

Thoughts?

My Winery Series Petite Sirah will arrive today. I'll need to do the math to see if there's any cost savings by doing the larger format kit. I initially thought so, but maybe not.

Now, as far as fermenters go, I have a 20 gallon on standby. But, I am a little concerned that it might not be big enough to avoid spillage from foaming during active fermentation. If the concentrate is 5 gallons, and we're adding 10-12 gallons, plus 9 skin packs. I feel like I'll be getting dangerously close to the top.

Thoughts?
a 32 gallon Brute ensures there is no problem.

Latest posts

Back