WineXpert Making Amarone and Super tuscan

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joel81

Junior
Reaction score
I just got the 2 kits today, did another Amarone 2 months ago.
When opening the packages I notice the super tuscan only contains 1 yeast, ec-1118, with expiration march 2023, the Amarone has 2 yeast. Should I only use this yeast or buy another fresh or maybe same 2 yeasts as Amarone, ec-1118 and rc-212?

Also the Amarone package has a skin pack labeled "sangiovese" while the skin pack for super tuscan is unlabeled? Have they mixed these up? Sangiovese should be for the super tuscan wine?

Also the super tuscan package has 3 bags of oak chips, totalling 120g. This would make it 5.2g/liter wine as recommended is 2-4g. Amarone is only 2 packages. Should I reduce the oak, so I only take 62 g chips and 30 g cubes => 4g/liter?

1118 yeast is a workhorse. It will reliably ferment therefore it is used in many kits. I use yeast that is stored in a refrigerator and some of it is past code date. I would be concerned on a 2023 yeast which has been exposed to heat over 25C. In your situation I would use the kit’s yeast, worst case it will not show any activity in two days and then I would go to the fridge and choose a properly stored yeast which expired in 2021. ,,, Yeast are rated by how much kill of other organisms they will do. Usually one organism is most efficient and it will dominate the culture. A kit with two yeast will have one which dominates. ,,,
I would assume that the kits were properly assembled by the manufacturer. When a kit is designed it will have a mix of ingredients that produce the flavor the manufacturer wanted. If you switch skins or reduce the oak chips you will change the end flavor. That said if you do not like oaky wine you can omit the chips. or if you like Hungarian oak you could switch to cubes or staves. Switching assumes that you have some experience making wine and know what you like and don’t like.

Welcome to wine making talk.

I'm sure the contents of each kit are correct. Keep in mind that your kits are not "Super Tuscan" and "Amarone", they are "-style". The vendor attempts to match the profile of each wine, and since the grapes for each are not grown in Italy, they are not authentic. The kits reproduce their respective styles of wine.

Although I'm commenting in more detail below, generally speaking, follow the kit instructions. Read both instructions in case there are differences, and pay attention to the labeling on all packets.

Read each instruction manual 3 times to ensure you understand what all the components are, and how & when they are used. You do not want to be figuring out the instructions while stirring.

Yeast can be fine years after the expiration date. I make overnight yeast starters, so I know very quickly if the yeast is viable. This is a great benefit of making a starter, as you know typically within 30 minutes and don't wait several days as happens when just adding the yeast to a batch.

The yeast are correct -- my guess is the OG on the Amarone is high, and since the EC-1118 is a workhorse that will ferment a rock, it is added as a preventative for a stuck fermentation.

Skin packs in kits are typically Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot -- they do not typically match the wine's nominal varietal. You can switch the packs if you want, but I'd not change anything.

The oak amounts are correct. Read the instructions -- it's very likely that some are fermentation oak and some are aging oak. Use them as intended for the best result.

Last edited:
and since the grapes for each are not grown in Italy
Really? I believe that Winexpert claims that the grape juices actually are from the named regions (for Private reserve and Limited editions).

Winexpert Private ReserveTM truly delivers. This outstanding series features the finest varietal juices from the world’s best growing regions – like Piedmont and Stag’s Leap District.

Still being "style" though.

Really? I believe that Winexpert claims that the grape juices actually are from the named regions (for Private reserve and Limited editions).

Winexpert Private ReserveTM truly delivers. This outstanding series features the finest varietal juices from the world’s best growing regions – like Piedmont and Stag’s Leap District.

Still being "style" though.
Thanks for the update -- I did not realize that.

Latest posts

Back