Finer Wine Kit Finer Wine Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any thoughts on this product? Looked like a good deal to me so I went to pre-order one of each. Got 2 out of 3 since the Super Tuscan was already sold out.
Wine Making - Wine Kits - Finer Wine Kits - Label Peelers

I saw the same thing and nearly purchased one of the Super Tuscan, before they were sold out. I would certainly order at least one of the grape packs they sell with those and maybe even the double. It sounds like something worth trying. Cost-wise it seemed a little bit less expensive than some of the others, obviously no idea about quality, but I will be trying these in the future.

just got an email from LabelPeelers about these kits (again), they included a link to a youtube video which gives some extra information about these kits. I do believe I will be ordering one of these next time it becomes available. The grape paks appear to be very dry and not the mushy glop found in most wine kits today.

just got an email from LabelPeelers about these kits (again), they included a link to a youtube video which gives some extra information about these kits. I do believe I will be ordering one of these next time it becomes available. The grape paks appear to be very dry and not the mushy glop found in most wine kits today.

I saw this yesterday morning as well...all gone by the time I rec'd the e-mail. I, too, will be ordering this when next available!

Interesting video about making this particular kit wine. I noticed they sealed the bucket with an airlock after pitching the yeast.

Interesting video about making this particular kit wine. I noticed they sealed the bucket with an airlock after pitching the yeast.
And in the second video, those pesky bags of grape skins, plus the racking cane clogging oak chips that they let float free, somehow magically disappeared between primary and the first racking. I wish mine would do that!

Was looking at label peelers to see if these were back in stock and saw that Finer Wines has a nice little instruction book PDF which I did not notice before: https://indd.adobe.com/view/929e37e4-36a7-4ac5-af96-cd2cfd61bcbe
Also saw the grapes are all from Lodi, appreciate the transparency there. And that the quick sell out was partly due to just 150 of these kits in the very first production run being sold. No word on when they will have more, perhaps they are waiting for feedback from the first kit makers?

Finally, I also saw this, which was really interesting, I knew that you bought the skins separately: "The kits are available without skins, skins, and double skin packs. Double skins give the wine a richer tannin profile, deeper color and heavier body, but requires longer aging (6 - 12 months.) A single skin pack will also improve the tannins and body but will require less aging (4-6 months.) Using no skins produces a great light to medium bodied table wine that is ready to drink the fastest (6 - 12 weeks.) Kits with double skin packs also come with oak cubes which imparts more vanilla qualities."

Hopefully these are as good as they claim, as I'm not too excited about the "cost savings" path that WE and RJS are taking. Was anyone on here one of the lucky 150 to get one?

Hopefully these are as good as they claim, as I'm not too excited about the "cost savings" path that WE and RJS are taking. Was anyone on here one of the lucky 150 to get one?
I think at least 1 person in the thread above pulled the trigger before they sold out. (Sounds like they haven't even shipped this first batch out yet, late March/early April mentioned, so it is kind of the kickstarter of wine kits).

I also saw that they are super-concentrated, like the new WE/now RJS model, but they claim they concentrate via vacuum rather than via heating, plus they ship the juice unpasteurized and cold:

"A Finer Wine Kit is a new type of wine kit. It produces results closer to wine made from fresh grapes than other kits on the market. The kit contains perishable juice concentrate which is shipped in refrigerated packaging. This maintains the integral quality of the grape. It eliminates the cooked juice flavor commonly found in pasteurized wine kits which are able to be stored warm. If you cannot start your Finer Wine Kit when you receive it, the juice and skins must be stored cold. The highly concentrated low temperature vacuum evaporated juice fits easily in any household refrigerator. You're not paying to have gallons of water shipped to your door."

Guess my biggest question is if WE & RJS are also using this vacuum technology, rather than heating, with their new more concentrated kits? They (WE/RJS) certainly are still pasteurized as they ship warm, but maybe the vacuum part is utilized?

I ordered the cab and merlot. Seemed like an easy decision to me since everything I've been doing is a first time effort. High end kits, cheap kits, frozen must, wild berries, and now this. I am immersing myself in the wine making world. Can't wait for the 2021 grape harvest!

1617381919480.jpeg
1617381954697.jpeg
This arrived yesterday. It was well packed.

They sent a follow-up email that asked me to check the temperature of the juice but I didn't get it until after I had already started it. They also mentioned that the muslin socks for the grape skins will be bigger in future kits. The juice is highly concentrated so the bag was extremely easy to handle. I did a yeast starter as they suggested, pitched it last night and put a heat pad on it to raise the temperature. The must is currently at 73 degrees, but no detectable fermentation yet.

Latest posts

Back