Filtering

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pd2718

Junior
Reaction score
I want to filter my wine. I have a 10 inch in line filter with a 5 micron filter. Can I use that to filter wine without any I'll effects? I've attached it to my auto siphon and it's slow but seems to work with water.

Its going to take a real pump to filter wine through that filter.

All you are doing with the auto siphon is exposing the wine to air for a long time. The wine should go through the filter almost as fast as the pump can move it.

I agree with DoctorCad
There has been several people who tried the same thing. It worked ok with water but definitely alot slower if at all with wine.

OK. Thanks for the feedback. Guess I will go without filtering. I'm just not going to pay $200 for a motorized filter.

Get yourself an "all in one" and never look back. You can transfer-degass-bottle-filter all with the same unit. The cost is a great investment. Search around and read about it and you will find it is a GREAT product

I use a small 12VDC self priming diaphragm pump like the ones used in boats and RV to pump fresh water that I use with my filter. I put a cigarette lighter plug on it and plug it into my portable jumper box like you use to jump start a car with a dead battery. Cost less than $50 on eBay and pumps about 3 gpm. The 5 micron size is too big. I usually use a 2 for red and a 1 micron for whites. One of these days I might get fancy and dig up an old laptop power supply that I can cut the plug off of and wire to the pump and eliminate the jumper box. If I had glass carboys I'd probably bite the bullet and buy an All in One but I don't like glass carboy because of the weight and danger of injury from breaking.

OK. Thanks for the feedback. Guess I will go without filtering. I'm just not going to pay $200 for a motorized filter.

You can get by with way less than $200 for a pump, but really consider the All In One, you will use it several times for every batch you make, and that puts its "per-use" cost very low. After 4 or 5 years with mine, I consider it free!

Latest posts

Back