Sterile filtration and Red Wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HanksHill

Reaction score
So I decided to go with the tandem filter setup on a Enolmatic and wanted to gather thoughts on using the 0.2 micron filter as a last stage to sterile (or nearly close to sterile) filter red wines. The thought of removing bacteria and all potential yeast does appeal to me, I’ve heard people say it can “strip” a wine but not sure if that’s an old wine’s tale? I’ve never done anything more than multiple racks to clarify a wine so it’s all new to me.

* 0.2 is sterile, the factory standard is 0.45 micron. ABSOLUTE
* the general comment is that fine filtering reduces flavor? Now how good af a taster atre you? You may not pick up a change, ,,, and only one in twenty five will detect it.
* you don’t need to filter a dry wine, what gravity
* fine filtration clogs easily, generally use the largest pore size that gets the job done

From my readings anything at or below .5 micron will strip flavor and color. If you are that concerned then you really should just drink brandy. At 40% it's sterile.

Please explain exactly why you are worried about this, perhaps your views are valid; but after 3 rackings over 7 months plus a 1 micron polish, there is nothing but dust in my carboys.

Latest posts

Back