Filtering

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got This Filter. I filtered the 2 gallons mead that was not clearing up and it is now perfectly clear. I also filtered 2.5 gallons of very cloudy mead and it is now perfectly clear. The filter was pretty clogged by the time I was done though. I back washed the filter with hot PBW, soaked it in PBW for a couple hours then rinsed and put it in a 3" PVC with K-meta and phosphoric acid.

The filter works perfectly, now I just need to see how long it lasts. My plan is to only filter clear wine with it in the future.

When I bought mine there were 3 other warehouse overstock available and they cost $45 with free shipping. Just went back and checked for you seems only 1 box left now ovr $58. Description I read says outer box damaged internal filters still wrapped. I'll post again once they get here condition I receive them in .

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041KTQOQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Pam in cinti

Last edited by a moderator:
On ebay. User is 123filter*com

68.39 right now for 50 1 micron filters. No plastic top or bottom so they seal good

I was comparing these filters to the P1 filter mentioned in the whole house filter thread and noticed a slight size difference

P1 is 9 3/4 x 2 3/8 inches
123 filter is 10 x 2.5

please confirm that this doesn't cause any issues with the houseing listed in the same thread

thx again

I don't have the whole house filter housing sold by them. But mine is a standard 10 inch housing and I've have no problems. The filter has no end caps so it will crush pretty well.

Just received my filters today (Amazon told me they'd come today, but I thought it was some sort of error. Sunday delivery with free shipping!). Filters measure 10", and while I did not actually filter anything I verified they seal up tight in the Pentek housing. This was sold as slightly damaged overstock. The outer cardboard box was a bit pushed in on one corner, but I suspect the original problem was the outer shrink wrap. Each and every filter was individually shrink wrapped and in perfect shape, but they were loose inside the shipping box. I'm betting there used to be an outer wrapper that got damaged and removed, thus the price cut.

I am thrilled with them. Paid $45 for 50 with free shipping. 1 Micron, but I saw 5 micron there also. I bet with time more outer wrappers will get damaged, so anyone interested just check back every couple days.

Thanks again dralarms!

Pam in cinti

Just received my filters today (Amazon told me they'd come today, but I thought it was some sort of error. Sunday delivery with free shipping!). Filters measure 10", and while I did not actually filter anything I verified they seal up tight in the Pentek housing. This was sold as slightly damaged overstock. The outer cardboard box was a bit pushed in on one corner, but I suspect the original problem was the outer shrink wrap. Each and every filter was individually shrink wrapped and in perfect shape, but they were loose inside the shipping box. I'm betting there used to be an outer wrapper that got damaged and removed, thus the price cut.

I am thrilled with them. Paid $45 for 50 with free shipping. 1 Micron, but I saw 5 micron there also. I bet with time more outer wrappers will get damaged, so anyone interested just check back every couple days.

Thanks again dralarms!

Pam in cinti

Pam you did the markings on the housing I assume - correct ?
I just want to make sure that these filters match up to the ones I suggest purchasing from filter fast

Just went back to double check. Made the markings meet with about the same amount of effort it takes me to get them to meet with the original filters. Seem to be made the same way also. I'll be filtering in about 2 weeks so I'll come back to post my results positive or negative.

Sorry it will be so long but I had a busy wine week scheduled when our kitty kid had to be hospitalized for 4 days. Really threw my schedule to schnockers. Cat is recovering nicely, and I'm spending too much time trying to catch up.

Pam in cinti

I see a listing there now for $60.90 - it says "used - very good". Description says it comes in original package but packaging damaged. Is that what you bought?

That's exactly what I got. And they look great. I only paid 45, but at the time they had 3 available. When I looked the next day only 1 was available and the price jumped to 58.

I'd say go for it. Or if you prefer, watch the site a few weeks hoping more pkg gets damaged and price drops.

Pam in cinti

Greg we cross posted. I did not get Purenex. I'm sure they would fit, but it's only 25 in the pack. I read a lot of feedback about folks who used Purenex and switched to the ones I bought. ONe guy said they clogged a bit earlier, but everyone else was very happy.

Pam in cinti

Take a look at Pams results - she is using a 10''
As long as you do not have the hard plastic insert in the filter = you should be fine - That is why you mark the filter housings. Also that is what creates the seal is the top and bottom of the filter housing cutting into the filter for proper sealage.
That is another reason not to use the filters over again

Greg we cross posted. I did not get Purenex. I'm sure they would fit, but it's only 25 in the pack. I read a lot of feedback about folks who used Purenex and switched to the ones I bought. ONe guy said they clogged a bit earlier, but everyone else was very happy.

Pam in cinti

Thanks. My mind was just reading that as a 50 ct box.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

[cross posting this here also]

When I bought my filter setup, I bought the P1 and P5 Pentek filters from filtersfast. After going through 5 or 6 of them now, I'm looking if there is a cheaper alternative that will suffice as they are quite expensive at $6 a pop. I would have to buy 24+ to get that $3.49 price.

I was wondering if anyone has used the Tier1 P1-10 which are $1.89 ea.

http://www.waterfilters.net/pentek-p...0JHA&hotdeal=5

or $1.55 ea in bulk (25cnt) from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CJNEU5W/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Thanks in advance!

Latest posts

Back