Filtering with the mini-jet

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zember311

Reaction score
I have taken the time to look over some of the posts for the mini jet to see its operation, whether or not people like them and so on,

But I had a question:

I have some wines going that I am more thenable to wait for it to settle ,but other batches ( test batches ) I would like to consume earlier, getting a feel for the receipes and such.

But I don't like drinking cloudy dead yeast wine.

If I bought the buono mini jet, let a gallon batch complete its ferment, then filtered it once with the course, then again with the medium, would it pull that gunk out so I could have a less yeast drink?

Most of my reading stated that the filters are good on average for 5 ish gallons of wine before they clog and need to be replaced, read all about the motor cool down times and such and how alot of sites and such say it must be pretty clean wine before using the filter machine.

But with a gallon of wine per set of pads, course and medium, it shouldnt be a problem and at least get the yeasties out enough for me to sit back and enjoy the test batches , right ?

I would just use a set of medium pads. With a batch that small you should get through a gallon before the pads clog. I routinely filter 12 gallons of red wine with one set of medium pads. I do always have an extra set of pads available in case they clog though.Don't expect crystal clear wine though as you should let the wine clear on its own and use the filter to polish the wine. it will filter the dead yeasts out but it won't all the protein solids.

Thanks smurfe! and I did check out your myspace account, though I cant bring it to my world again, the last time I had a myspace account, i never left the computer. hahah

But thats good information, I wasn't expecting crystal clear, but just to get the most out of it. I know people eat deactivated yeast all the time as a nutirent suplliment to their foods, but I just cant see myself wanting to consume zillions of spent yeast cells in a single glass. hah

thanks,

Back