filtering wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longhaul

Reaction score
I need to know what my options are for filtering wine? I know the best way is with the all in one but I dont have that kinda money right now. is there another good way to filter wine

There are several options, the cheapest is not to filter. Second cheapest is filtering through a dirty sock, coffee filter or using a Vinbrite, the results will be less than desirable. Next is pressure tank filtering, about $100 works very well. Then on to pump filtering, like with the All In One.

The real question is why are you filtering? Seems that those that do filter are in the minority here.

+1 on what johnD said. If you allow your wine to bulk age, and rack the wine when needed, you can end up with an acceptably clear wine.

There is an inexpensive gravity filter for sale but it takes about 45 mins to filter 6 gallons. It will plug very easily with little sediment. It will also tear if you tighten too much and wine will just pour through the little tear. Your other option is to put together your own system using a whole house filter housing and either a 1u or 5u filter. The housing and filter is cheap (~$35) but you need an aspirator pump to pull the wine through the system. Gravity will not work. You can find used pumps on eBay for ~$100.

Time will clear it as will successive rackings but I filter everything even wine made from fresh grapes as even after two years of aging there is always small grains of tartaric acid that would end of in the bottle otherwise if not filtered.

The AIO is a good deal for the price if you have the $$$ on hand.

I need to know what my options are for filtering wine? I know the best way is with the all in one but I dont have that kinda money right now. is there another good way to filter wine

Last edited:
the reason i wanna filter is to keep the fine setiment out of my wine

Purely aesthetics....especially in white wines. Reds you never know till you've just about polished off the bottle anyway!! In some Snooty circles a little remnant of the "grape what made it" is acceptable. I've had overwhelming success as well with "quality time in a carboy" :r

I'll add that if you're dead set on filtering, and don't want to buy a pump to force the wine through a filter, consider getting a canister filter, start a siphon through it into another carboy, and just know it takes time. The higher you can raise your source carboy in the air, and the lower the filter to the ground, the better your pressure will be through the filter and the shorter the filtering time.
My disclaimer is the tremendous risk and danger of elevating a carboy into the air.
Small in line pumps are also available at boating supply stores and websites, most run off of batteries, but are made for salt water and would work.
I own a Buon Vino Super Jet and never use it for anything other than the occasional white wine or Island Mist type kit I don't want to tie up a carboy bulk aging.
I never filter my reds. Some small amount of sediment is acceptable in red wines.

I built an inexpensive system using this whole house filter
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/entries/diy-wine-filtering.html
and a small diaphragm water pump like the ones used on boats and RV's. Bought it from eBay. Best I can remember it is a 3gpm and cost around $40-50. Came by slow boat from China. Took about 3 weeks. It was designed to run on 12 volts so I wired a cigarette lighter plug on it and powered it from a portable car jumper box I have. It worked fine. I wrapped cheese cloth around the end of the racking cane to keep sediment from getting sucked into the pump.

Okay, so I decided to pick up a filter canister to keep around just in case I do not like the clarity of my white wine or just in case for whatever. I intend to bulk age at least three months and hopefully that will be enough, but I prefer to have the tool on-hand as I said just in case.

So, I bought it with a 5 and 1 micron filter. Can these be re-used? Or if I filter a single batch / batches at one sitting. Do I then need to replace the filter? Or if it has a limit on how much it can filter (say 20-30 gallons), can I just keep the filter and use it until I reach that much filtration? I'm trying to figure out if I should have extra filters on hand.

I don't because they are less than 3 dollars each. I will filter several carboys at 1 time then discard the filter element.

I heard of people putting hundred of gallons thru a filter - all depends on the carity. I would assume 60 gallons

Not sure this is the right thread but here is a tip when filtering with the AIO and the WHF. Make sure your pick up racking cane has the sediment tip or hold it off the bottom of the full carboy. If you let it rest on the bottom it sucks against the bottom of the carboy and amplifies the possibility of air leaks on the filter housing, particularly the incoming barb fitting, I know!

All, how do you sanitize the filter element, what do you use, if K-Met at what strength and how do you keep it from jacking up the SO2 in the filtered wine?

I use 1 1/2 tsp of sulfite and equal amounts of citric acid to drop the ph of water ( for 1 gallon of solution ), to similar to wine. No more excessive white film on the inside of the bottles causing my SO2 to be off.
This should come out to 1500 ppm , which should santize anything.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back