Filtering Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubaman2151

Reaction score
Is it worth to filter your wine? I just want to make sure I get everything out of the wine that shouldnt be in there.

Scuba

It is a personal preference just like adding a fancy label to a bottle compared to using a piece of duck tape marked with a crayon.

Does it make the wine taste better...NO! Does it make it more appealing to the eye...YES!

Personally I like to let the fining agent or patience and gravity do the work. Edited by: masta

I agree with what Masta but must add that when I rack off the sediment to bulk age finally that I can get every drop out of the carboy with the filter because you can stick it right in the sludge at the end and not get any of it it the new carboy. I say at the end cause you dont want to do it in the beginning cause it will clog the filter and slow down the process so I tilt the carboy and stick it in the mud at the end and dont need to top up this way and that makes me happy!

I usually don't filter reds, just whites, and even then only if it is a wine that is special (perhaps worthy of competition).

I dont always filter.If its something that I plan on keeping for years,I do it.
It does really clean the wine up good.I dont filter it till its real clear because I hate to clog up those good filters.I did 2 carboys today,and the wines are brilliant.
lockdude

I will not filter my high end red kits, just my fruit wines and white wines.

I think I know the anwser, but why dont you like to filter to your reds or your better wines?

Once in a while I'll pull out the gravity filter and polish up a wine. I don't filter reds because I expect there to be a bit of sediment in my reds. It really adds a shine to a white. But, I don't do it very often.

Do the filters do a good job on fruit wines? I have a rhubarb I started in March and it isn't even close to clearing. The rhubarb is my first fruit wine, even if it don't clear it has been a great learning experience the more I read the more I find out what I did or didnt' do right.

What filter do you think is the best? Christmas is just around the corner, a filter sounds like a good item for my list
smiley2.gif

If you haven't yet, try some Super-Kleer on it. It works in only a day or two and is usually enough to make it sparkle. If not, then you can filter it. Both would make great additions to the Christmas list.

I have a Buon Vino Mini Jet that I use on everything. Sometimes it is hard to see the effects in the carboy but if you fill a wineglass before you filter and one after you filter and hold them both up to a light, you can see adifference. I use the #2 pads and have never noticed any change in taste due to the filtering. I think I might have a before and after pic from a Riesling I did earlier this year. I'll post it tonight if I can dig it up.

<table ="Catalog" id="products" align="center" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><t><tr><td ="table" align="default" width="2%"><div align="center">5292 </td>
<td width="5%"><div align="center">
%5Cimages%5C2692_sm.gif
</td>
<td width="20%">

Vinbrite Filter

Comes with 6 Crystalbrite filter pads (see item #5294)</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$43.99</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$43.99 </td>
<td width="5%"><div align="center">Stocked </td>
<td width="15%">

Add to Shopping Cart

Add to Wish List

Shipping Cost Estimate</td></tr></t></table>

You rack through the filter using a hosedown to the filter and into another carboy.
20071108_201437_20071021_104116.jpg

I have the same one.It works good enough for me.I use an air pump to pressurize the carboy.

I put pressure in the one im filtering out of.It keeps the siphon going and speeds the flow up a little.It wont loose its siphon.

Latest posts

Back