Filtering heavy sediment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

x_diver

Reaction score
I have a wine that has a lot of sediment. It's probably the bottom 4-5 inches of a 5 gallon carboy. I racked the clear juice off the top into another container. The remaining sediment seems to have a lot of juice left in it and I don't want to toss it. I tried pouring it through a cheese cloth but almost no liquid came through since the sediment seemed to just clog it up. I have an all-in-one pump and was thinking about buying a filter - like a BUON Vino Pre Screen Filter for Mini Jet Filter. But with this much sediment, I'm afraid that it'll just clog that up too. Ideas?

I pore the lees into a jar(s) and put into fridge to settle out then pull the clear juice off the top. Use as a taster or topping off your batch.

Bill

What's the rush, why not just let it settle out more before racking... time and gravity is your friend. IF you really need to rack, then as said, save it in a jar in the fridge to settle out more. If its cold enough out side, then just put outside in a cold dark location. our night temps are dropping to low 40's so we have a outside fridge :)

What's the rush, why not just let it settle out more before racking... time and gravity is your friend. IF you really need to rack, then as said, save it in a jar in the fridge to settle out more. If its cold enough out side, then just put outside in a cold dark location. our night temps are dropping to low 40's so we have a outside fridge :)

Believe the OP wants to consolidate all the wine in one container if possible. That's a reasonable idea. Get rid of the sediment and move on with the aging. Leaving lees/sediment in a carboy is not always a great idea.

Back