Filling Carboy Space with a CO2 blast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jowine

Junior
Reaction score
I just racked an apple wine from its initial glass carboy to another glass carboy with probably a gallon and a half of space left in it. The fermentation was complete leaving about a 10% alcohol level.

I don't have any smaller vessels available.

I filled the space with a blast of CO2. Will that be enough to keep the wine from oxidizing over the next couple of weeks (I plan on racking it once again in 2 weeks). How long will a blast of CO2 last, as I'll have the same issue next time, as well, and may keep in that vessel much longer.

Thank you.

have you sulfited yet? you need to get it stablized

co2 will protect but you really want i degassed of co2 and k meta applied...i would personally not worry about two weeks if properly sulfited

I file my extra space with CO2 alway to prevevt oxidation. Even after I add K-meta. if you havent de gassed yet jusdt shake the carboy and it will file the space with CO2 for you

I file my extra space with CO2 alway to prevevt oxidation. Even after I add K-meta. if you havent de gassed yet jusdt shake the carboy and it will file the space with CO2 for you

That's a simple yet effective trick. Either in a carboy or in a bucket. Stir the must well then snap on a lid with airlock and let it finish the few points of gravity yet protect it as the fermentation slows down.

Thank you all.

I added sulfites prior to adding the yeast, but not since. Is 1/8 tea spoon the right amount this time around?

I think I'm going to have to look into some new glass going forward.

Again, thank you for your help. I'm feeling much better.

Not wanting to scare you but IMHO your are potentially making a big mistake in leaving that kind of void in your carboy.

Even if you have purged all of the air out with CO2, if you continue using a fermentation trap, the CO2 will eventually be replace with air.

As barametric pressure and temperatures change, the relative pressure in the carboay will be equalized through the fermentation trap. In other words, your carboy will "breathe" as a result of the void. I would only recomend purging with CO2 for very short term storage unless you are applying an air tight seal on your carboy.

Here's a quick test to see if y in ou're protected. Take a butane lighter and stick in your carboy. If there is oxygen it will stay lit. If it goes out you are probably protected.

C02 will work fine for awhile but lie said above you should always sulfite your wine as soon as its done fermenting or you leave your wine at risk.

If you're going to use CO2, you should use argon gas instead, its heavier.

I have it handy from carbing kegs of beer so you can top up the carboy easily with gas.

Not wanting to scare you but IMHO your are potentially making a big mistake in leaving that kind of void in your carboy.

Even if you have purged all of the air out with CO2, if you continue using a fermentation trap, the CO2 will eventually be replace with air.

As barametric pressure and temperatures change, the relative pressure in the carboay will be equalized through the fermentation trap. In other words, your carboy will "breathe" as a result of the void. I would only recomend purging with CO2 for very short term storage unless you are applying an air tight seal on your carboy.

Not sure i quite understand how it would get replaced with O2? If the void is filled with Co2 & you have an airlock on with sulfate solution or vodka how could O2 get in? The only way would be if it sucked back all of the solution in the airlock.

When I was making the wine at that time I stuck in the same problem of oxidation in the carboy and I have to check whether it is processing or not. I am very comfortable with the Argon gas and not finding any necessity of using another gas.

Not sure i quite understand how it would get replaced with O2? If the void is filled with Co2 & you have an airlock on with sulfate solution or vodka how could O2 get in? The only way would be if it sucked back all of the solution in the airlock.

Atmospheric pressure changes. The pressure outside the carboy goes down, then gas will evacuate through the airlock because the pressure in the crboy wants to be the same as the pressure outside the carboy. Also, if the atmospheric pressure outside the carboy rises, then air will be drawn into the carboy to reach equalibriam.

The same also applies for temperature changes. Higher temps and lower temps are the same as higher pressure and lower pressure.

In short, I am saying that it is HIGHLY inadvisable to leave any sizable void in you carboy. Trust me. I am speaking from experience!!!!!

Do not let youself be convinced that having that kind of void is ok (no matter what you do)!!!!!!!!!!

Atmospheric pressure changes. The pressure outside the carboy goes down, then gas will evacuate through the airlock because the pressure in the crboy wants to be the same as the pressure outside the carboy. Also, if the atmospheric pressure outside the carboy rises, then air will be drawn into the carboy to reach equalibriam.

The same also applies for temperature changes. Higher temps and lower temps are the same as higher pressure and lower pressure.

In short, I am saying that it is HIGHLY inadvisable to leave any sizable void in you carboy. Trust me. I am speaking from experience!!!!!

Do not let youself be convinced that having that kind of void is ok (no matter what you do)!!!!!!!!!!

Whatever you stated in your first line really matters and it do happens with me too. Like, the outside temperature is quite different then the inside temperature and it thus affects the whole process.

Latest posts

Back