Fermintation Bag Cleaning

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winesleeper

Reaction score
When using a fermentation bag in winemaking how should I clean and sanitize the bag for next use? The bag is made of mesh polyester and is stained from the Dragon Blood wine.

I rinse as well as I can, but there are still lodged particles. I then allow it to dry completely so those particles shake out. Rinse in k-meta and let it soak in that for a few minutes then rinse and use in the next batch.

Remember, home depot sells 5 gal paint strainer bags, 2 for $3 that work well too.

I use Oxyclean on mine. Not the one with bleach. The original. It takes out all the stains. Works great on wind stains on clothes too.
Obviously get all the fruit pieces out first and rinse really well afterward. But it works great.

I use paint strainer bags you can get from home depot - lowes and toss them after one use.

I agree with olusteebus ...I use mine once, if it doesnt come clean in a hurry, its gone...and beside i squeeze mine so hard they get holes.

I soak mine in oxiclean, then my wife runs it through the washer by itself with just oxiclean, dry and ready for next time. I did find out the hard way the don't last forever. I was mashing out some must and the bag busted and got sludge back In my wine. :(

Thanks for the help. I’m going to use the Oxyclean on my $12 bag. Looks like I’m going to need to use this bag at least 12 times to get down to the $1 per bag price. Then to Lowe's to get paint strainer bags for the once use then toss method.

Maybe I can contribute a little here, I dump all the krud out and turn them inside out and spray it with hot water from the inside with the spray hose on the sink. That gets most everything, then I soak them over-nite in oxy-clean,
Then spray them again. After that, they are clean and white, then spray them with K-Meta and put em in a zip-lock freezer bag with a few squirts of K-Meta and seal em up. Hope that helps
Semper Fi

Maybe I can contribute a little here, I dump all the krud out and turn them inside out and spray it with hot water from the inside with the spray hose on the sink. That gets most everything, then I soak them over-nite in oxy-clean,
Then spray them again. After that, they are clean and white, then spray them with K-Meta and put em in a zip-lock freezer bag with a few squirts of K-Meta and seal em up. Hope that helps
Semper Fi

This is what I do except I use queen size pantyhose or knee high pantyhose from Walmart $.99 a pair for the queen pantyhose or $.99 for two pk of knee highs. I don't freeze mine. Hang them to dry and put them in ziplock, when I need to use them again I just soak in a k-meta solution and rinse prior to filling with fruit. I have been able to use the same ones 3 times so far without any issues. They're cheap and they work if you know how to treat them - being a woman helps :)

When using a fermentation bag in winemaking how should I clean and sanitize the bag for next use? The bag is made of mesh polyester and is stained from the Dragon Blood wine.

You shouldn't. Go to a paint store, Sherman Williams etc. , and buy a handful of nylon paint can strainer bags at $1 per. Cheap and you don't feel guilty about serving guests wine strained through ladies underwear.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

1. Ladies underwear has never been worn!
2. Is washed first - I wash in oxy solution, then sanitize in k-meta solution. This works over and over again! I'm on my fourth batch with these hose and they are not breaking yet!

I use knee highs, and trash them after one use. I get them at the dollar store and they work out to be about $0.35. Maybe I should get my sweetheart to show me how to wash them:db

Haha it's pretty easy when ferment is done turn them inside out into a trash can to get all the fruit out. Then rinse under running water to get all pulp off. Then wash by hand in soapy water, hang to dry somewhere. The main thing is not to snag them on anything. Then when u need them again soak in sanitizing solution. Squeeze them out and ready to go!

Asked my better half if I could have a pair of her new pantyhose. She gave me that look.:re Guess the last time I touched a pair of pantyhose I put a run in them. In the future I’m going with the paint strainer bags. But for now I’m using my $12 mesh polyester bag.

The real cheap ugly ones that no woman in her right mind would wear are the ones I buy! A lizard could wear them an they wouldn't run! Also handle them like you would your woman - preferably with care :D

I use a laundry mesh bag with zipper for sweaters. Only a $1 at the supermarket. Works great

o
I use a laundry mesh bag with zipper for sweaters. Only a $1 at the supermarket. Works great

Sounds like a good idea! I'll have to have a look after my nylons fail on me...

Latest posts

Back