Female vs Male Wine Makers Poll

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Men versus Women winemakers - let us know how many of each.

• Male

Votes: 169 82.4%
  • Female

Votes: 36 17.6%

• Total voters
There is no option for "in transition".... :dg

Kidding, I am just a regular dude.

What's the question? Are you supposed to say if you are a male or a female? Or are you supposed to say if you think there are more male or female winemakers?

Well I would say there are more female's involved in wine making. It doesn't matter what part they play whether it is labor, taster, CEO, CFO, beneficer or whatever. Without her in one of these roles I would not be making wine either.

001.jpg

With us it is a team effort. We are empty nesters who started making wine in part to have something we could enjoy doing together. I'm the science nerd. She is the record keeper. I do the heavy lifting. She does the mixing. One of our favorite past times is sitting in bed on Saturday morning drinking coffee and reading wine kit reviews online on my iPad to make our wish list of kits we want to make.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

I'm a woman, my husband just buys his beer. I love to learn how to produce my own foods, live of the land, that kind of thing. I have only just started wine making but I love the idea of growing my own fruit or collecting wild fruit and turning it into wonderful things like preserves and best of all WINE!!!! Or cider. Lol.

I would have voted for other but there wasn't a choice.

Why do you hat my people so much

:ft

:)

My question is why? What difference does it make how many women are making wine versus how many men are making wine?

I guess in my household it is both... as my wife will sometimes allow me to use her kitchen sink. :hug

I'm the winemaker here, my husband does not even like wine! He is a beer drinker and I make that too. I started making wine thinking that the sulphites in wine may be the reason for head aches. I do not have the head ache problem I used to have buying commercial wines....my problem now is just drinking too much of my own!!

My question is why? What difference does it make how many women are making wine versus how many men are making wine?

Julie it makes no difference, it is just the trivia of knowing it. Just like when we pulled folks on the age of winemakers. I found that to be very interesting. To us makes no difference and is useless information that is just fun to know.

My guess was stop on! I guessed it would be 80% male, 20 female. In our house I make all the wine, do the racking etc. Wife cleans all the bottles, & runs the All in one bottling as I cork & polish the bottles. Not sure if that 80-20, I'll say 50-50!! ( I hate to clean bottles!) Roy

In the series "Winemakers, there are lots of women in winemaking in the commercial side. I have seen a good many women in other media that are commercial winemakers. I agree, I would have thought there would be more women making wine than is represented in this forum.

We are a joint effort as well. This is one of the few hobbies my wife and I have found that we both enjoy. It has brought us closer together and strengthened our relationship. Last night we tested some Luna Rosa out of the carboy (not ready...bummer) and tonight we are bottling DDDB tropical blend. I started wine making and do most of the hands on stuff but she helps and keeps me organized (full time job that last one).

Tim

I am a female winemaker and I have a friend who is as well. We are the only lady wine makers I know around here. Add to that the fact that I am a female architect and my friend is a female engineer, and we are rare as unicorns. :)

I can tell you, if you poll my homebrew store you would find 99% men and 1% women. I have never actually encountered a female brewer there. The other patrons are all surprised when I show up as something other than the beer-drinking girlfriend of a brewer guy. They have wine making classes, but it seems like the people who take them are mostly men. Possibly they are beer makers who have decided to make wine too.

Heather

We are a joint effort as well. This is one of the few hobbies my wife and I have found that we both enjoy. It has brought us closer together and strengthened our relationship. Last night we tested some Luna Rosa out of the carboy (not ready...bummer) and tonight we are bottling DDDB tropical blend. I started wine making and do most of the hands on stuff but she helps and keeps me organized (full time job that last one).

Tim
That always makes for a great relationship when you can share the same interest. My dear wife is in charge of labels..and since she was a graphic artist it was a natural fit.

Both my husband and myself are involved in the hobby. I think I am more into it as I do a lot of the research. Both of us enjoy wine and love this hobby

My wife and I are both involved. She "tastes" the wine and tells me if I'm on the right track. Like Mae West said: "I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure.". But, it doesn't stop at 3.

In my house, I do the making and sampling. My wife gives the thumbs up or down. We often disagree however. She says many of the wines are too strong and I like them just fine. Some that I think don't taste as good...she really likes. It's a nice contrast.

Latest posts

Back