Female vs Male Wine Makers Poll

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Men versus Women winemakers - let us know how many of each.

• Male

Votes: 169 82.4%
  • Female

Votes: 36 17.6%

• Total voters

dragonsblood

Reaction score
A friend I were having a conversation about are there more female or male wine makers? I think it is closer to 50/50 and my friend thought it would be closer to 75% male 25% female..
I thought this would be a great source for a poll..
So please help us out..
Thanks Jay
great food..great wine..great friends..

Male here and my wife has nothing to do with it except drink.

Add a poll to your thread or if you don't know how ask a mod to do it to keep track if you wish.

quite honestly i would say 85%Men and 15% women....it would be interesting if the forum mod could drill down to the membership numbers and see what the ratio is right here

I think Al is being generous with the amount of women. My wife has nothing to do with the wine making but loves drinking it. I do know a number of women in it but very few in comparison. If you've ever been to a wine competition I think you'll see the same thing. Again I know some very good female winemakers, just not that many.

Male here, I have only met one female at my local home brew shop.

i previously would have thought i was generous as well, but since this forum has a lot of people from north of the border i wonder... last year i had some canadians come in to the winery...about a dozen women....most of them made their own wine because of the high taxes on alcohol up there....

if this was just Americans..i would say 98% men and 2% women

...and this is a shame as I think if more women were into it there would be a lot more awesome wines in the market place. I always try to get some females together for tastings when I am making some blends and looking for percentages of mix. I decide what I am going to blend then I set up 3 glasses with about 100ml in each one with different ratios. I do not tell them what the ratio is in each glass and ask for thier opinion on which they like best.

I would also leave this poll up for a month since many don't check in too often.

I too always try and get some women together but they always seem to be not into it and slap me for asking!!!! Oh, you meant for wine tasting!!!!

Last edited:
I was in my favourite LHBS this week and here are the numbers for that visit...

store employee - female - makes wine with Artful Winemaker system
my wife and I - I'm the wine maker, but she helps sometimes (bottling especially)
man by himself - definite wine maker (had a good chat)
woman in and out quickly with 3 kits
older man & woman - he's the winemaker, not sure how much she helps.

So that's 3 males to 1 female, possibly 2 females.

Another viewpoint... I live in a Ferment on Premises province. Which means many people make wine in an FoP. The FoP staff are the real winemakers. Here's the staff numbers for my last visits to nearby FoPs (using codes for the FoPs to help me)...

T - men 2
W - women 2
PC - women 2
Th - women 1 (although she was one of the women at the PC store)
WE - women 1
NF - men 1, not sure if his wife makes wine or runs store but she has been there both visits

So here the women out number the men 5 to 3.

Al - you need to ask people from Ontario and New Brunswick if they actually make wine, or just get it made in an FoP.

Steve

Al - you need to ask people from Ontario and New Brunswick if they actually make wine, or just get it made in an FoP.

Steve

Also, Prince Edward Island, British Columbia, Yukon Territory ( probably no members from there) and possibly Saskatchewan?? Not sure of the others, but definitely no legal fop's here in Nova Scotia.

My Bride provides encouragemnet, moral support and quality assurance. She is the pasta maker and baker in the house. I am the cook and winemaker. It has worked well for more than 46 years.

Male here and my wife has nothing to do with it except drink.

Add a poll to your thread or if you don't know how ask a mod to do it to keep track if you wish.

Thanks..Same here..well my wife is in charge of labels..but at times..not exactly sure what we maybe be sampling..lol

Latest posts

Back