Female vs Male Wine Makers Poll

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Men versus Women winemakers - let us know how many of each.

• Male

Votes: 169 82.4%
  • Female

Votes: 36 17.6%

• Total voters
Ive shipped pumps over around there in Canada a few times. It was usually around $60 but there were a few instances were a sub contractor of shipping charges you guys another $30 or so and there is no way for us to know that.

I'm the resident wine maker here. My wife only helps with the bottle washing and wine tasting when it comes time to backsweeten so as to make sure it's good to both of us. "Got to keep momma happy".

Just the male in this family makes the wine.
The female is here to complain about the male wine making hobby.
We (she) have yet to taste my first batch. Hoping to bottle this weekend.
Maybe she'll stop complaining if it turns out okay.

Male here. I make the wine and other beverages. My wife is the "Official Tester/Taster". She let's me know what to keep and what to give away as gifts.

I am a male vintner and my wife has nothing to do with it but being supportive of my need to, as she puts it, "Get head over heels involved in yet ANOTHER PROJECT!" She will taste a small amount as a flavor tester but rarely drinks.

She calls me "Project Man."

I'm willing to bet that most winemakers are by nature "doers." It would be interesting to ask sometime whether vintners here see themselves as project-driven or not. I'll bet most are. I am. I have a variety of so-called "hobbies" going all at the same time that are probably better defined as projects.

I began making wine when I found I was gluten intolerant and had to quit drinking beer. Now there are some gluten free beers, but I prefer the wines.

Last edited:
I am a male vintner and my wife has nothing to do with it but being supportive of my need to, as she puts it, "Get head over heels involved in yet ANOTHER PROJECT!" She will taste a small amount as a flavor tester but rarely drinks.

She calls me "Project Man."

I'm willing to bet that most winemakers are by nature "doers." It would be interesting to ask sometime whether vintners here see themselves as project-driven or not. I'll bet most are. I am. I have a variety of so-called "hobbies" going all at the same time that are probably better defined as projects.

I began making wine when I found I was gluten intolerant and had to quit drinking beer. Now there are some gluten free beers, but I prefer the wines.

I would agree, at least thats true for me, I have a regular full time office job, but have many hobbies, ( maybe too many) wine making is just one, which started from my gardening hobby , which produced excessive amounts of fruit ( raspberries,blackberries,blueberries,rhubbarb..etc) so a friend suggested I make wine out of all this fruit. Recently that led to starting my own vineyard. Besides these hobbies I do woodworking,build furniture,landscaping and raise organic beef. Well those are some of my major hobbies..besides outdoor activities, hunting and fishing.

I am the wine maker in this & a female. I did start doing this after my beer brewing hubby encouraged me to. So now we are a family of brewers & my second bathroom is now the fermetation room.

The wife and I both make wines....I do some, she does some and we do some together....And we both enjoy drinking the wine...

The only thing my wife contributes to my hobby is supplying me with a steady stream of empties so I must be doing something right.

The only thing my wife contributes to my hobby is supplying me with a steady stream of empties so I must be doing something right.
Well then I would say she is doing her part...
I am surprised that the female vs the male wine makers is roughly 15%..of the wine makers I know..it close to 50%..big difference..

Maybe if this was a telephone talk wine forum where instead of posting they called one another the poll would be the other end of the spectrum! LOL. My wife barely uses a computer but will talk on the phone for about 2 hours every night and Im not exaggerating! Thank God we have all distance!

I do the wine making in the house. My husband drinks wine when it's made. I also have a cousin that makes wine commercially and she has always said that in the wine industry women are the minority.

Has this changed at all in 4 years?

A friend I were having a conversation about are there more female or male wine makers? I think it is closer to 50/50 and my friend thought it would be closer to 75% male 25% female..
I thought this would be a great source for a poll..
So please help us out..
Thanks Jay
great food..great wine..great friends..

I was wondering if the ratio has changed at all in 4years?

After voting and getting the poll results, I'd have to say I agree, and the 15% women might even be generous.

I've just gotten into making wine, and have been to a few classes, asked around a lot, hung out at the local brew store, etc. So I've run into about 20-25 people who make wine....absolutely ZERO women.

Last edited:
I must say that I do sell alot of Allinonewinepumps to women who make their own wine.

I can tell you that I was impressed how well the folks at the LBH remembered me till one confided that I was the only woman who comes in alone. Most women got to stand around and hold their own purse while hubby shopped. That be said, Cincinnati is traditionally 10 years behind everywhere else. In fact Mark Twain said if the world were going to end he'd just go to cinti and have another 10 years.

If it matters hubby who mostly drinks beer only like a few of the wines I make. Friends and family don't hesitate to drink my wine tho.

Pam in cinti

Latest posts

Back