Female vs Male Wine Makers Poll

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Men versus Women winemakers - let us know how many of each.

• Male

Votes: 169 82.4%
  • Female

Votes: 36 17.6%

• Total voters
Am I the only woman on here??!

I certainly hope not..
I have personally started 2 male friends and 2 female friends on this great hobby.
I forgot to mention that my Dear sweet wife..does her fair share of harvesting of the fruit, blueberries, raspberries, rhubarb, and have started our own vineyard, fontenac, gris and a few new additions this next spring.
So she deserves more credit than I first thought.
Jay

No chev your not the only one. we have Julie, Leanne, Angelina, Nikki, and others that I cant think of right now not to mention Im sure there are a few I dont even know about due to their username not being gender specific.

Well so far it looks like the ratio is 85% men vs. 15% female! Interesting to think about though........I've only ever really seen men at the LHBS, but the shop that I go to is owned by a woman, her family has been doing it for generations.

Well so far it looks like the ratio is 85% men vs. 15% female! Interesting to think about though........I've only ever really seen men at the LHBS, but the shop that I go to is owned by a woman, her family has been doing it for generations.

I see that..I bet the ladies are just waiting to make their move and be counted..lol
Nice to see a lady that makes wine and also rides a Bike, now I bet that ratio would be very tiny, but 2 of my fellow wine makers are Harley riders, 3 if I include myself.
Any other bikers/winemakers?
Jay

I'm the winemaker in my house, but hubby is the muscles when it comes to lifting and he helps at bottling and drinking time. I'm in New Brunswick and we have a local FOP, they don't carry much for those of us that like to try recipes not from a kit, their main business is making wine for people, after they sprinkle their yeast.

Last edited:
I am a female wine maker and it is a craft that has been handed down through the female line of my family from generation to generation. My female cousins and aunts are all wine makers too. We are now teaching my nieces. Sexist I hear you cry........Not really, all the boys prefer drinking it to making it. :h

I am a female wine maker and it is a craft that has been handed down through the female line of my family from generation to generation. My female cousins and aunts are all wine makers too. We are now teaching my nieces. Sexist I hear you cry........Not really, all the boys prefer drinking it to making it. :h

Not sexist at all my good lady..I believe wine makers are not gender specific..and a womans touch always adds something special.
In todays world you can be where ever your interests take you...
keep teaching..
never cry over spilt milk..but wine is a whole different story..

I make it, hubby makes the beer. I drink the wine, WE drink the beer LOL!
i think im on the winning side of this bargin ;)

quite honestly i would say 85%Men and 15% women....it would be interesting if the forum mod could drill down to the membership numbers and see what the ratio is right here

Looks like you hit it on the head as of now.

Female here!!

Please let me know how you enjoyed the raspberry peach, I luv anything peach and have never thought about that blend..I harvest about 40 lbs of raspberries each year..but need to purchase any peach that I care to blend.
Hmm..maybe need to pair up with someone from the south..for some Georgia Peach

Female here!!

I do the wine making in my house! My husband will taste test but he isn't much into wine. I actually tasted some homemade wine and insisted on learning how to do it. Ive never been a wine drinker. So hubby just keeps counting the carboys cuz now I'm hooked!

Please let me know how you enjoyed the raspberry peach, I luv anything peach and have never thought about that blend..I harvest about 40 lbs of raspberries each year..but need to purchase any peach that I care to blend.
Hmm..maybe need to pair up with someone from the south..for some Georgia Peach

I used more raspberry than peach. I liked the flavor but I think the peach tamed down the raspberry flavor. I cant really taste the peach in the wine. I used fresh fruit also! This was my first batch. Everyone that has tasted it liked it. They tasted at two months of aging and I bottled it right away. So Im thinking it will taste great real soon. But I will age it better next time! Over all it was a hit!

vschlaff: Interesting post about peach and red raspberry.

I made both the Vinters Harvest peach and raspberry back in the fall. I was thinking of combining a gallon of each together. They are both in carboys going through the final aging.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Not sexist at all my good lady..I believe wine makers are not gender specific..and a womans touch always adds something special.
In todays world you can be where ever your interests take you...
keep teaching..
never cry over spilt milk..but wine is a whole different story..

That sounds yummy. If you decide to please let me know what you think about the taste when mixing half and half!

The other element you have to factor into this poll is that is really measuring the gender of winemakers who spend time on this website and participate in polls.

It could be that the women are all too busy getting things done in the wine room while the men sit around in here talking about how much wine they make. :h

I teach wine making classes, and the student rosters are about 50/50. It tells me that there is about equal interest, but what I don't know is how many of the students take it to next level.

It could be that the women are all too busy getting things done in the wine room while the men sit around in here talking about how much wine they make. :h

BAHAHAHA love it!
Female here... I make the wine, I drink the wine :d

Latest posts

Back