Failure: peach wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been making wine for nearly 7 years now and in that time I've had less than 10 wine faults.....Which brings me to the topic of peach wine. Of those approximate 10 faults nearly all were peach based. I start off with a light juice, usually apple or white grape instead of water and to supply extra sugars (I don't add sugar to any of my wines), then I sterilize fresh or use canned peaches. The problem no matter my method my wine always ends with a turpentine smell and taste. I'm certain no amount of aging would help. What exactly am I doing wrong? I've tried different yeasts, juice bases, pasturization, even adding neutral spirits to kill off any bacteria in the fruit. It always ends the same.....turpentine. Is it the nature of the beast (peaches) or is there something I'm not aware of? Any advice??

Plus peach takes a long time to come around unless you keep the acohol on the lower end. I had 1 that took 18 months before that taste you are describing leaves.

I don't believe cleanliness is the issue. I'm quite thorough on sanitation. I'm wondering if it's the peach itself that has something in it that's metabolizing and producing the off smell and taste. Curious if I can stop it somehow.

some lay over from the rind around the peach pit may be causing the weird taste.

If you still have some of this wine, add some gelatin post fermentation after the wine has cleared. you can buy unflavored gelatin in the grocery store. I believe 5 grams for 5 gallons should work. follow package directions for preparing the gelatin. wait a week then rack wait another month and see if improved. it may need another dosage if smell and taste persist but some improvement.

Here's the trick, use just peaches, filtered water, a fresh fpac, champagne yeast nothing else is required plus simply syrup for acholo balance.any questions?

100% with joeswine on this one. Made a peach wine this past summer with just local fresh peaches (diced and frozen before thawing and adding to must) and water as the base. No other juices, etc. And turned out really nice. Maybe it's your other juices contributing to the off flavors?

@joeswine

That could be possible but I usually mix my base juices with various fruits and yet only the peach version faults. I have considered the only peaches method, just worried about that much money going to waste should it spoil. (Forgot to mention that cantaloupe and watermelon have the same results) not that it matters. Ironically using Welch's white grape/peach concentrate turned out spectacular, just the fruit is what ruins it. USING ONLY PEACHES WOULD YOU RECOMMEND SOAKING IN VODKA FIRST OR JUST FREEZING AND PRESSING?

I've used Welches white grape/peach and just white grape with frozen peaches. I added Kmeta 24 hours before pitching the yeast, pectic enzyme 12 hours before pitching the yeast. I use pre-boiled/cooled water (from my beer making habits) to hydrate the concentrate.

I never boil or cook the peaches (or any fruit for that matter), the kmeta will take care of that. Boiling the peaches will set any pectin in the fruit and make it very hard to clear later on. I think that is where your issue is coming from. Let the Kmeta take care of any nasties you are worried about.

I've only made five or six batches that way, but they all have been fantastic, other than when I remake them again, I will add more fruit and less concentrate or water.

Hope that helps!

Thank you! That makes it much clearer. I need explanations more than someone just telling me to do something. I appreciate that. Makes sense, could be the pectin metabolizing into the nasty or its "protecting" the fruit from the yeast and allowing it to rot. I use to preboil my water but I've been blessed with really clean well water, low in iron and decent hardness (minerals). And a side note I hear about yeast nutrients used frequently in these posts and I have used it but I've noticed I've actually never needed it. Haven't used it in 4 years and my wine has fermented to approx* 11-14%

And thank each of you for helping me. The reason I even posted was on behalf of my wife. She loved the white grape / peach I use to make but sadly I can't find it anymore. I just want to recreate what I use to make for her and suprise her on our anniversary.

Try Walmart, they have a white grape peach it makes a real good wine. Comes in 1/2 gallon jugs.

That's where I use to get it. The frozen concentrate and the 1/2 gallon jugs. Unfortunately my walmart stopped carrying both. That's why I've been trying to use peach fruit instead. Haha if I could still get the juice I'd never bother with adding whole fruit. Any site that sells the concentrate?

Last edited:
That's where I use to get it. The frozen concentrate and the 1/2 gallon jugs. Unfortunately my walmart stopped carrying both. That's why I've been trying to use peach fruit instead. Haha if I could still get the juice I'd never bother with adding whole fruit. Any site that sells the concentrate?

Www.homewinery.com

Makes good wine, I buy 12 to 18 jugs from them a year.

@dralarms thank you brother. Hopefully something that will please the wife. Just bought 5lbs of grapes and some juice so hopefully that will satiate her for a while.

Latest posts

Back