Extremely-Long Maceration?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gates

Junior
Reaction score
Has anyone tried a 6-month or yearlong maceration with a red wine? I've read about the Italians leaving whites on the skins in amphorae for multiple years, but most of the sources I can find discussing reds stop at around 45 days, and discuss lengthening tannins, and that's it. I'm curious what the taste vs. maceration curve looks like years out.

I've got some pinot finishing fermentation, and I'm wondering about filling a carboy with must and letting it sit for 6 or 8 months. Do you have any thoughts or suggestions? Is it worth risking a few gallons of wine?

If no one else answers, I think if I was going to try it, I would just try it with a gal. or two. If it comes out great, try it again with more. If not, you are not out so much. Arne.

Controlling temperature and oxygen will be key. Temp needs to be around 60 degrees our below to inhibit grow of bacteria. You will need to seal the wine from oxygen (amphorae were hermetically sealed). If you can achieve this then you are good to go. Cheers

I would be worried about some sort of infection or something taking hold or perhaps over extraction of grape seed tannins. However, I am not vetting against this since it sounds like a fun idea.

However some thoughts, at some point the grape skins are going to quit extracting. So, eventually they will no longer help. I guess determining when this point is could be important.. or not. However, it could be that the skins give up the game in 2 weeks.. One way to find out!

Sounds like I should just give it a shot! I'll let you know how it turns out...

If he is going to do mlf.. lysozyme would not be good as it is used to prevent mlf.

Good point. I would think that a spontaneous MLF would be part of the micobial soup any of these long macerations go through. Perhaps monitor the Malic Lactic acids by chromatography and then add lysozyme once it is finished. I just think lysozyme might be a better longterm control then kmeta.

Cheers!

Back