elderberry blend question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zack67360

Reaction score
Hi.
Have a question about elderberries in wine from more experienced wine makers. My last batch of wine I started was from the last of my grapes and was not enough for a whole batch, so added a can of black cherry puree and got the must going. About 5 days into the fermentation a friend said he had a couple elderberry bushes and the birds were starting to eat them so he picked the bunches for me. I pulled the ripe berries off the small branches, rinsed with a strong solution of K-meta, pureed and added to my wine. This sat fermenting another 3 days and then strained the solids off the wine yesterday. But I noticed a green kinda gummy ring around the primary where the top of the wine had been. Anyone else experience this? Today I stirred and checked SG which is 1.03, bubbles in the air lock about every 3 seconds. I know elderberries contain small amount of cyanide and just curious if anyone has any idea about what the green ring might be? I tasted a spoonful this AM, and it is very tasty although a little sweet. Any thoughts are appreciated.
zack

It's probably just residue from the fruit. You should remove the fruit and allow it to finish.

How long has it been under airlock? Yeast need oxygen and shorting them too early can cause problems.

lol, welcome to the world of elderberries!!!!!! Elderberries leave behind a green goo that the only way you can get it off of your equipment is rub a little vegetable oil on it, then wash.

Thanks steve for your response. The wine is still in the primary fermenting. I remove the lid once a day and stir. Yesterday I just strained the wine from one primary into another primary to remove the grape seeds, skin, and elderberry seed. There is still frequent bubbling going on, about 2-3 bubbles in air lock every 3 seconds. I normally wait until SG is 0.99 or 0.98 to rack into a carboy. I started this particular batch on 8-19-14, so today is day 6. I do not take a reading on SG when I make the must, as it is too thick to obtain a reading. I definetly plan on buying a press next season. I did not learn that elderberries contained cyanide until after I had added the berries to my wine and was concerned if anyone could enlighten me about the green ring and if it is cause for concern.

ok, thank you Julie. I scrubbed with my good arm till it was ready to fall off (post rotator cuff surgery on the other). Good to know. Does the cyanide build up in a persons liver? Is the wine safe to drink? Since you know how to remove the goo, you must have made it before and still around to talk about it obviously :h

zack67360, elderberry wine is safe to drink and in fact is very healthy for you. The cyanide is minimal and is less than the amount found in apple seeds. if it were not for the dreaded green goo, elderberry would probably be considered one of the best red wines.

Got some cleaning and chem info on the infamous green goo on our elderberry page. It helps to sort the berries out, but the little bit of cleaning is well worth it. After the oil wash off with dish detergent and hot water. The green stuff is waxy and hydrohobic, it dont like water, but loves oil. WVMJ

Thank you Mountain Jack for the link. I had thought about growing some elderberry plants, then decided against it once finding out they contain cyanide but have decided after reading the articles it is safe and now plan to purchase some. Also, the link on the page to where to purchase elderberry plants, wine and jam is the wylewood winery which is only about 87 miles away. Thank you.

Back