Dragon Blood: Triple Berry Skeeter Pee

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took the plunge at started a batch too, with a couple of slight variations.
1) I neglected to check my sugar supply, so to get the S.G. to 1.082, I ended up using a mix of white sugar, dextrose, brown sugar, and about a pound of honey.
2) Instead of EC-1118, I used the slurry from my batch of blackberry wine. Pitched it last night, and it's already fizzing away. All I did to wake it up from a nap in the fridge is add a little warm water and some brown sugar.

frosti said:
now i have to admit....made this the first time about 6 months ago...just tried a bottle thats aged awhile....sooo much better sorta smooth and a bit of a buttery flavor.....really digging this recipe dangerdave! already have another one going i started 2 months ago

Oh goodness!! I will have to save some bottles for SURE! Any tingle at all? Did unfollow to the "t"? How much lemon?

MilesDavis said:
I took the plunge at started a batch too, with a couple of slight variations. 1) I neglected to check my sugar supply, so to get the S.G. to 1.082, I ended up using a mix of white sugar, dextrose, brown sugar, and about a pound of honey. 2) Instead of EC-1118, I used the slurry from my batch of blackberry wine. Pitched it last night, and it's already fizzing away. All I did to wake it up from a nap in the fridge is add a little warm water and some brown sugar.
What yeast was originally used?

Last edited:
Oh goodness!! I will have to save some bottles for SURE! Any tingle at all? Did unfollow to the "t"? How much lemon?

i did a peach, raspberry, strawberry, blackberry mix and half the lemon juice up front. ec 1118 yeast

seems 6 months 4 of that in the bottle really shines.

It seems the recipe variations are endless! I'm going to try that tropical one too...

Thanks Dave for a wonderful recipe.

I tried mine about two weeks ago and found it tasted a bit thin for my

tastes. This was before back sweetening though so I added two cups

sugar and then added two cups of apple juice. The body is just right

for me now.

This recipe is practically bulletproof and so versatile.

Starting some more blueberry tomorrow myself! One of our favorates.

As a reminder, now is the time to crank out some Blood for next years summer drinking. I'm putting in some DB's, blueberry, a tropical, a concord grape, and a straight lemon with zest.

If you make it now, it will be awesome by summer!

JP, and the rest of you: You are very much welcome! Enjoy, my friends!

dangerdave said:
Starting some more blueberry tomorrow myself! One of our favorates. As a reminder, now is the time to crank out some Blood for next years summer drinking. I'm putting in some DB's, blueberry, a tropical, a concord grape, and a straight lemon with zest. If you make it now, it will be awesome by summer! JP, and the rest of you: You are very much welcome! Enjoy, my friends!

Are you referring to a concord variation on DB? Or concord wine! I have concords waiting in freezer bags for me to do something with!

i agree dave, make and bottle now for next summer....
kryptonitewine, i made a batch of concord port, and it was really good.
i mad a batch of dragon blood from concentrated concord whelches grape juice and it was actually better....but my port, needs aging..while the db was drinkable right away.

This batch is clearing now, and was made in classic DB style, but instead of triple berry, I used about 25 lbs of fresh concord grapes (from a local homestead) stuffed into two bags for squeezing. If the concord flavor isn't strong enough, I'll back sweeten with some Welch's concord concentrate. That should do it!

It's my first try for this one, so we'll see how it comes out.

no matter what I make with the db type recipe, i get the same ohhhs and ahhs over the color.....I think that not adding campden, are kmeta in the start, may have something to do with that..dont know..just thinking out loud.

Hi all

I can't wait to give this recipe a shot. I'm fairly new, but have a made a couple winners so am looking forward to lots of different varieties in our future. I love the color and clarity this recipe produces. I can imagine it goes quickly at any party. Because of this I wanted to share something I just found at Big Lots (no affiliation, no gain for me). I just picked up 3 slim style BBP free clear beverage decanters for 5 bucks each. Looks like a cross between a better bottle and those boxed wines that have a rotating tap. I filled them with water and tested for leaks, all good. I will say that it is important to only rotate the spigot when setting upright because every time I tried to rotate it when on it's side it loosened the cap and water leaked out. Anyway, I can just picture several side by side containers in various colors at a party, and thought you all might be interested also. I think 5 bucks is cheap, and what a picture they will make!

Pam in cinti

slimbots1.jpg

slimbots2jpg.jpg

Im not sure Id trust them to age it and DB is better in the bottle for a while. From what I understand boxed wine can spoil much faster than bottled wine. But for serving at a party I dont see why not. I just wouldnt have it in them for long.

Maybe if you had room to keep them in the fridge till party day

Tess, I agree with you all the way not for aging. But for a party, this design holds 1.25 gallons in a space that's about 4" wide. Not to mention the safety factor of plastic vs glass towards the end of a good party. Our fridge has a couple places under meat or veggie drawer that is really really narrow, usually wasted space, and these fit nicely there. I do like to keep a gallon of my fave in the fridge for the occasional glass.

BTW loved your barrell table!

Pam in cinti

Tess, I agree with you all the way not for aging. But for a party, this design holds 1.25 gallons in a space that's about 4" wide. Not to mention the safety factor of plastic vs glass towards the end of a good party. Our fridge has a couple places under meat or veggie drawer that is really really narrow, usually wasted space, and these fit nicely there. I do like to keep a gallon of my fave in the fridge for the occasional glass.

BTW loved your barrell table!

Pam in cinti

Thanks Pam, Good deal then. Let us know how the party turns out. I have a small barrel that has a spigot that hold about 2 gallons. Its needs to be swelled though but I plan on serving some wine in it at my Christmas party. Dont know what its made out of. If I knew it were oak Id age wine in it but I dont think it is lol

Latest posts

Back