Dragon Blood: Triple Berry Skeeter Pee

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
001-5.jpg

002-4.jpg

003-2.jpg

There is something stamped on the back but I can read it lol

This batch is clearing now, and was made in classic DB style, but instead of triple berry, I used about 25 lbs of fresh concord grapes (from a local homestead) stuffed into two bags for squeezing. If the concord flavor isn't strong enough, I'll back sweeten with some Welch's concord concentrate. That should do it!

It's my first try for this one, so we'll see how it comes out.

This should be really good. I was just at a very small winery in Missouri over the weekend and the guy had taken concord grape wine and mixed some blackberry wine with it, it was really good. Had a unique flavor.

I made a port using concord concentrate and 5 lbs of blackberries, and is very good.
sometimes i can taste the grape,sometimes the blackberries...unique but good.

I'm pretty sure that's an oak barrel Tess. Don't know where you can take it from here as they apparently have a finite life span.

BC

I am finally going to start a batch of triple Berry today. I don't have any yeast energizer and no hope of getting any unless I order online. I'm thinking it will work without it, maybe just slower. I do have yeast nutrient. Any vets think this would be a mistake to leave out the energizer?

I am finally going to start a batch of triple Berry today. I don't have any yeast energizer and no hope of getting any unless I order online. I'm thinking it will work without it, maybe just slower. I do have yeast nutrient. Any vets think this would be a mistake to leave out the energizer?

I have never made any batch without Energizer/nutrient.
It is my understanding that the amount of lemon makes the fermentation a tough one.

I would order online. What is the worst that can happen you will only be a few weeks before you can drink the DB.
DB is usually ready quickly and is an early drinker, so I have never found that there is a rush to cut corners

Elmer makes a good point. I haven't tried a batch of DB without the additives, so I can give no good advice there. I'll have to try one and see. Experimentation is encouraged!

Believe it or not, I've finally found a wife-approved improvement on the original DB recipe. Inspired by Seth's cold fermentation experiment, I decided to make my next batch (started about the same time) without a brew belt, at room temp. For my basement, that's about 70F. It came out wonderful, and only took a few extra days to ferment. It is smoother, fruitier, and even more drinkable right from the start. My wife likes it better than the original: a goal I have struggled two years to reach! She always told me to go back the the start. Now, since this batch is done, she wants me to make them all this way from now on. The one and only difference was leaving the brew belt off. I know some of you may have been making it like this all along. With the brew belt, they were fermenting at around 80F-85F.

I'm going to add this note to the next revision of Wine Made Easy.

1/2 cup grape nuts..1 cup water..cook in nuker for 2 minutes, let cool...
works like a charm.
are cut up two whole bananas...riper the better...
add the above in a muslin bag are etc.

Well, I guess I'll be the first to test it w/o energizer. My daughter is here visiting for only a few days and I wanted it to make it "our" project for next summers beach time. So... I started it already. I'll keep y'all posted on the fermentation progress. (or lack of). We decided we wanted a tangier wine so I used 1 1/2 bottle of lemon juice. Which won't help my cause, I'm sure.

1/2 cup grape nuts..1 cup water..cook in nuker for 2 minutes, let cool...
works like a charm.
are cut up two whole bananas...riper the better...
add the above in a muslin bag are etc.

James, What is the Grape nuts for? Is that a replacement for the energizer?

yes lori, works great..i ran out making my fig..did a little research..and found it as a replacement.

I just did a little research also. One ingredient of it is B complex, which I have. Mostly it is minerals. "Ingredients: Diammonium phosphate (CAS 7783-28-0), yeast hulls, magnisum sulphate (CAS 7487-88-9), vitamin B complex, tricalcium phosphate (CAS 1306-06-5)"
I'll use one banana and crush 3 b12 complex tablets. I also used all spring water which has minerals as opposed to tap. That should give it a mineral boost too.

You won't taste the banana. I made Dave's Especiale, which uses bananas in the primary, and couldn't taste them in the end product.

Latest posts

Back