Do you listen to music in the lab? If so what?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know I am going to get flamed

Yea, I know. I'm like the guy who doesn't like cheese. But that's me. I'm a dreamer. Please, tell me I'm not the only one---yea, I know, the Beatles. :re

Technically, that is John Lennon solo material more so than the Beatles.

I have no issue with wanting silence from time to time. I even relish it, sometimes I add mustard!

But I listen to people talk all day long, politics, law etc....
Sports talk and even the ball game I can to listen to, depending on the announcer. I can only take so much Suzyn Waldman!!!!

But once you hear a great song, once it moves your soul, it is like heroin. You have to have it again and again.
That is the great thing about great music.

Then again I should note that when I am in silence, inevitably I begin humming Miles Davis "So what", which morphs from there.

But in conclusion I will not say that you folks who dont listen to music are wrong.
your just not right!
:r

Yea, I expected to be corrected. Thanks for be technical, Elmer.

You see, I don't have a soul, so music does not move me. :) I don't need someone telling me how I feel or how to feel. I already know. Artificial emotional manipulation is not for me, however self induced.

I know. Strange viewpoint, huh? Gotta be me!

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

For as long as I remember, music has been a major part of my life. No matter what I'm doing there is music in my head - often getting out into the air via humming, whistling, or singing. I don't even realize I'm doing it. I will often put music on in the house an entirely forget that it's playing because the stuff in my head has a better playlist. I move from Disney music to heavy metal, classical to pop, and everything in between. I'll listen to anything as long as it feels good.

Music is intricately linked to my memories, so while I'm singing a song, it's linked to the memories of me singing/listening to the same song while doing other things and during different times of my life. The older the song, the more memories it has!

So...the long and the short of it is that yes, I listen to music while I'm working in the Lab - but it's not necessarily external music :)

I am normally a rock and roll kind a guy, but lately I have country tunes in my wine room. Totally cliché stuff like Dust on the Bottle, copper head road, yesterdays wine, bottoms up,etc.

Artificial emotional manipulation is not for me, however self induced.

But there is an irony here... making and drinking fermented fruits and grains is a form of self induced artificial manipulation of the brain and all its processes - including emotions. Isn't it?

Me? I guess I am fascinated by how music (and rhythm) does affect us emotionally but I cannot multi-task and if I am doing something I want to be fully in that moment, so when I listen to music I am listening and when I am making wine I am making wine... and when I wash dishes I am washing dishes. Ommmmmmmmmm

Bose sound link and pandora, usually on "all American nightmare" which has a lot of "stripper rock" like my darkest days, theory of a deadman, Hollywood undead and steel panther. When I'm tired of that I go to jimmy Buffett

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I like listening to music or catching up on TV shows. Sometimes I spend too much time in the winery. When that happens SWMBO let's me know…… :)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iCS036ABxM&list=UUOyKqBMlJUtOrs4uTB-WUKA&feature=player_detailpage"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iCS036ABxM&list=UUOyKqBMlJUtOrs4uTB-WUKA&feature=player_detailpage[/ame]

So no drinking, then, huh?

Stay out of my psychosis! :bt

But there is an irony here... making and drinking fermented fruits and grains is a form of self induced artificial manipulation of the brain and all its processes - including emotions. Isn't it?

You, too, Barney! :i

Perhaps a better explanation is in order. There's more to the story. Some of you have seen the picture of the head injury I had when I was 10 years old. As a result of that trauma, I ended up with nerve damage to my ears, causing permanent tinnitis (ringing in the ears). The ringing is constant and has a specific pitch. The result is that music and/or singing---when it produces a certain tone---causes "interference" in my ears, resulting in a very unpleasant "buzzing". Since most music composition relies on a range of tones, they invariably reach that point where they become physically irriating to my damaged nerves. The condition has gotten worse as I age, and is no doubt aggravated by 30 years of blaring sirens.

My wife, who knows me best, says that my attitude towards music is "...a fallacy derived from my condition, used to minimize the embarrassment of my limitations." Kind of like a paraplegic who claims they did not like walking anyway.

Being an "outsider" of the music industry most of my life, I have become fascinated by those who say they listen to music all the time. I have friends who claim they cannot live a day without it. That is the very definition of addiction.

I do like my wine. It does have a certain effect on my emotions, no doubt, but I am not dependant upon it every day to make me happy---even though it does take the edge off of my tinnitis.

I appreciate each and every one of you for your opinions and input. What a great group!

I listen to NPR and C-Span on my drive to DC, though it usually spurs me to scream at the radio. the Acoustic Storm starts at 9am on sundays on the cumberland station, so I get to catch about 45 minutes of it.

I've been listening to books on CD (Rich Dad, Poor Dad) recently. I've got Pure Prairie League Live, Chuck Magione Live, John Denver Live and Wings over America Live on the thumb drive....

Last edited:
Stay out of my psychosis! :bt

Yup! I actually agreed, even without knowing of your specific condition, with your sentiment about artificial manipulation of your emotion. I feel that way most of the time, too. I usually prefer to sit quietly. I sometimes choose a piece of music to fit, or even reinforce, the mood I am in. But I don't especially like being emotionally influenced by the tunes all of the time.

I put on one of my CDs of The Three Tenors and I swear it improves my wine. Here is a sample of Pavarotti doing my favorite Torna a Sorrento (Return to Sorrento). Sadly, he was taken from us too soon.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVLCmjable0&list=RDqeqKXRVxRHo[/ame]

Yup! I actually agreed, even without knowing of your specific condition, with your sentiment about artificial manipulation of your emotion. I feel that way most of the time, too. I usually prefer to sit quietly. I sometimes choose a piece of music to fit, or even reinforce, the mood I am in. But I don't especially like being emotionally influenced by the tunes all of the time.

Well said, Paul. Well said. :h

Well according to Dave then I am an addict. I must have music going all the time. Dont care what it is. Rock to country, some oldies some 80's big hair. Today being sunday the local country station plays classic country. I love sundays. Merle, Waylon, Johnny Cash, Loretta Lynn, George Jones, Eddie Rabbit, Johnny Horton and right now its the Foo Fighters. If there is a 12 step program I want no part of it. Music frees the soul man.

I have recently been listening to "oldies" country, George Jones, Merle Haggard etc on Pandora. Dang what a message they sing.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Hi, My name is Elmer and I am an Addict!

"hi elmer!"

I completely understand the addict analogy. I sit at my work-space and have jazz playing in the background. I may not always hear it in a noisy office, but there are moments it pops through.
When I take my breaks and lunch I walk with my ipod and listen to music. If I dont have it, I cant wait to get to it, or I just provide it myself.

Most of my time is spent with music going.
Music gets me through always has. I even hum to myself when not allowed to have an ipod.
It probably has just stuck around from my childhood, when I spent alot of time alone, either by choice or circumstance.
When you are a latch key kid and spend hours alone you start to crave the comfort of background noise. It worked equally as effective at blocking out the sounds of arguing.
In school when you are just the shy, outsider who got lost in the crowd and could go days without talking to others out of pure terror and awkwardness, that song in your head just makes it that much easier.
When I played in bands, it gets to be a real addiction because when you are not playing all you want to do is make your back to the warm embrace of that groove!

It becomes an obsession until another one takes it place.

But I remember working a job at a museum, while in school. One of my coworkers suffered from serious tinnitus, he was mostly deaf to the point he could not hear his own hearing aide alarm go off.

He told me he was kept away at night by the ringing and people with lesser symptoms had taken drastic actions.
I was sad because he was never able to listen to all the great stuff that was out there. Further because my job was to clean antique radios of all era's, I would get them working and play music over them. In fact I listened to the 9/11 coverage on a 1930's area GE radio. but I digress!

he could feel bass and the rhythmic tapping on a desk, so all was not lost.

So it may not be for everyone for varying other reasons!

I have been typing so long I have forgotten what my original thought was!
Oh well, I will just end with that!
:hug

Why would an addict be sad for someone who does not share their addiction? What would you do, Elmer, if you went deaf tomorrow? Do you think you would spend the rest of your life sad and depressed? If you could view this from the outside, as a person who is not addicted to music, what would you think of people who are?

I am not criticizing, just asking.

I am neither a chronically sad nor wantonly depressed individual. If you knew me in real life, you would see I am a positive-minded, friendly, disgustingly pleasant man. It is a simple fact that I am happy with my thoughts. My self-talk is confident. My heart is light. And my actions reflect that.

I have heard all of this many times. And I say with the utmost respect for the talented musicians out there, and all of their fans: It has always facinated me that those who seem to require the constant input of rhythmic sound to keep their spirits up somehow feel sad for those who do not. I have always considered this a very interesting topic, ripe for debate.

An addiction implies a deficit. What do you think?

Back