Do you listen to music in the lab? If so what?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojabri

Frequent Lurker
Reaction score
If you're anything like me, music is a MUST when doing any type of chore. I classify working in the lab as a chore as you have to do it otherwise you have nothing.

I thought it might be fun to share our music choices with each other.

If you have a playlist or two please share! Might be fun to listen to what another person likes. I know I'd LOVE to hear what a few members here get down to while toiling away on their wines.

If you don't have a playlist, just share what type or music or songs you particularly like in the lab.

I'll start. Personally, I like Spotify, especially considering it's a free program/app, and sharing with others is easy. I prefer it on random shuffling so that I never know what's coming up next.

This first playlist are my favorite show tunes, songs from Broadway or musical TV episodes. I'll admit it, I ADORE musicals in any shape or form!
http://open.spotify.com/user/1266902551/playlist/1nmM4ErWPc46k4QFu7FU5m

The other is newer music that I just love!
http://open.spotify.com/user/1266902551/playlist/2mJrENghALg6Xu0S6OPmQc

I jump day to day on my listening moods. Everything from golden oldies,country, rock to new. But I really do like my classic rock-Deep Purple, Queen,Boston...

I have a small flatscreen tv in my lab. I also have a small portable DVD player. I have a collection of concerts that I like to play..

1) Eagles - (concert in Australia)
2) 25th anniv of Rock and Roll hall of fame.
3) Billy Joel live at yankee stadium
4) Eric Clapton - One more car, One more rider
5) James Taylor (a number of his concerts)
6) Aeorsmith - a number of their concerts
7) Gregorian Chants
8) The Strat-Pack (concert for 50th bday of the Fender Stratocaster)

The above tops the list.

Note: DVDs cost just as much as CDs, but include video! I have a whole stack of them.

mostly blues from pandora. sometimes I listen to spa music or smooth jazz

Always heavy metal or rock, ie: shinedown, metallica, disturbed, limp bizkit, kid rock, chevelle just to name a few. Mine is mostly listened to when lifting but will occasionally listen to it when mowing and doing other things.
This is 90%+ of what I listen to. I can tolerate some pop, jazz and other types EXCEPT for country. That never gets listened to by me.

I rotate between my ipod, portable radio and laptop.

sometimes I will listen to the ball game!

other than that I have over 100 bootlegs which I rotate (Grateful Dead, Phish, Bob Marley, Alman Brothers, Miles Davis, String Cheese Incident, WSP etc..)

Otherwise Pandora-which is Jazz, Bluegrass and Blues heavy.
listening to a lot of live Stevie Ray Vaughn as of late!

Also the Punch Brothers. Great modern Bluegrass!

Last edited:
I replaced my entire library of rock from my college years--Yes, Cat Stevens,Doors, Grassroots,Jimi Hendrix,etc. and then put it all on the computer so it plays all day long for us down in the winery. We also like alot of New Age--David Arkenstone, Yanni,etc. We always have music in the winery!! (Jimi Hendrix AND Yanni---funny how your taste in music evolves when you get older,LOL) But I STILL really like Jimi--there's never been another artist as talented as he was. Wish he was still with us, as I'm sure we missed out on alot of music he WOULD have written.

But lets not leave out Journey---that is ONE great band everyone should have in their collection. And Toto, too!!!!! As the good witch from Wizard of Oz would say--LOL.

Last edited:
I go for a little of everything. From Krypteria to old hank and everything in between. My favorite songs from Krypteria are "How can something so good hurt so bad" and "get the hell out of my way." the singer has an outstanding voice

I rotate between my ipod, portable radio and laptop.

sometimes I will listen to the ball game!

other than that I have over 100 bootlegs which I rotate (Grateful Dead, Phish, Bob Marley, Alman Brothers, Miles Davis, String Cheese Incident, WSP etc..)

Otherwise Pandora-which is Jazz, Bluegrass and Blues heavy.
listening to a lot of live Stevie Ray Vaughn as of late!

Also the Punch Brothers. Great modern Bluegrass!

SRV is one of me all time favorites. I actually met the man when he played Carnegie Hall in NYC. We had good seats for the concert and I had left forgetting my jacket. I went back to my seat, picked up my jacket, and SRV came back out on stage, sat at the stage's edge and just began to play. Most everyone else had left and there were only about 20 or 30 of us left. We all gathered at the stage and were treated to another hour or so of his music. "I wanted to do this for the die-hards" is how he explained it. I got to shake his hand, tell him that he is one of the best blues guitarists I had ever heard, and tell him how much I admired his work. I was so sad over how he died in a plane crash.

I know I am going to get flamed for this, but here it goes...

I'm just not a music fan. I mean, not that I dislike music. I listened to some when I was younger, but I was never an avid music fan. I like to think and I love to read. Music is not conducive to either. Given a day at home with chores or wine making, I'd never turn on any music. I'd spend that time thinking about my choices, my future, friends and family, memories and dreams, constantly running scenarios through my head regarding possibilities and probablilities of life. I like NPR, and listen to it when I'm driving instead of music.

Yea, I know. I'm like the guy who doesn't like cheese. But that's me. I'm a dreamer. Please, tell me I'm not the only one---yea, I know, the Beatles. :re

Dave, that is very similar to me. I occasionally listen to music at home, but not most of the time. (I am listening to Paul Simon's Graceland right now, as it happens.) Usually I don't have anything on. I don't own a TV. I tend to just "zen" while driving, or listen to NPR.

You're not the only one.

Last edited:
I know I am going to get flamed for this, but here it goes...

I'm just not a music fan. I mean, not that I dislike music. I listened to some when I was younger, but I was never an avid music fan. I like to think and I love to read. Music is not conducive to either. Given a day at home with chores or wine making, I'd never turn on any music. I'd spend that time thinking about my choices, my future, friends and family, memories and dreams, constantly running scenarios through my head regarding possibilities and probablilities of life. I like NPR, and listen to it when I'm driving instead of music.

Yea, I know. I'm like the guy who doesn't like cheese. But that's me. I'm a dreamer. Please, tell me I'm not the only one---yea, I know, the Beatles. :re

No reason to flame. To each their own.

BTW, I avoid cheese, not that I'm lactose intolerant or anything. It's okay, I don't hate it, just don't eat it. Too fattening for me.

Ha, well we cal all be lonely together. I also do not like to listen to music while I make wine or work. I would much rather listen to NPR or talk radio while I do things like drive long distance. But for wine making, I like to focus in on the wine making and enjoy it.

Funny, my wife thinks I'm nuts listening to NPR, I can't believe how many of us do. Put on 35k to 40k miles a year for work and AM radio has most of my presets. I figure you may be able to at least learn a thing or two while driving.

In the lab, usually have Brewers/Packers/Badgers game on in the background or old country. Not much of a fan of the newer music but I find the old classics nice and relaxing.

It's funny, now that I'm thinking about it. I have brought my iPad with me to the lab exactly once and streamed Pandora. I'm a music lover and used to be the type that had music with me, no matter what I was doing. It seems now that I have children (and very busy, loud ones at that :) ), I enjoy the quiet. :) Well, that, or the gentle hum of the All In One.

You guys obviously never heard "Sweet Jane" by Lou Reed or "The Thrill is Gone" by the great B.B. King..

What makes you think that? How could you not have heard them, unless you live under a rock? ;)

Back