Do you listen to music in the lab? If so what?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave, I agree with the sentiment you expressed, but, to be fair, you have misconstrued Elmer's statement. He only said he was sad for a hearing-impaired friend who "was never able to listen to all the great stuff that was out there." That is different than being sad for someone who is able to listen to and appreciate music, but chooses not to listen all of the time.

Why would an addict be sad for someone who does not share their addiction? What would you do, Elmer, if you went deaf tomorrow? Do you think you would spend the rest of your life sad and depressed? If you could view this from the outside, as a person who is not addicted to music, what would you think of people who are?

I am not criticizing, just asking.

I am neither a chronically sad nor wantonly depressed individual. If you knew me in real life, you would see I am a positive-minded, friendly, disgustingly pleasant man. It is a simple fact that I am happy with my thoughts. My self-talk is confident. My heart is light. And my actions reflect that.

I have heard all of this many times. And I say with the utmost respect for the talented musicians out there, and all of their fans: It has always facinated me that those who seem to require the constant input of rhythmic sound to keep their spirits up somehow feel sad for those who do not. I have always considered this a very interesting topic, ripe for debate.

An addiction implies a deficit. What do you think?

Dave,
Maybe addict was too strong of a term. Especially since I know many, many people who are in the program and friends of Bill W.

I always think of the quote " I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day"- Frank Sinatra

and that makes me think of music, wine, movies, sports or almost anything.
I hear something, taste something, see something, than usually the next day tell the wife about it. Now she does not share all my enthusiasm about music or movies and that makes me sad. not Sad to the point I would cry, but sad as to the loss at a chance for a shared experience.
She will never get to experience those moments that I did.
But she will experience different things in different ways, as you will.

Just like my former coworker never got to hear Garcia put his solo into a Warf Rat Solo.
Or Hear Puccini
But not having done so does not mean his life was a waste, it just means there was not a shared experience.

See I am kind of like the borg in that respect, I like to share all those experiences.

I have no ill will towards those who dont "get" music. My father is like that. I once asked him if during the 60's and 70's he had the occasion to see any of the great shows. Watkins Glen, etc....

He would not know good music if it kicked him in the face.
I was a drummer before a wine maker and have played them for 3/4 of my life.
It is in my soul, every thing I touch is a sound, every footstep is a beat, ever walk a rhythm.
I stir my wine in rhythm, my golf swing has been broken into verses. I am surrounded by music.

That is just the way I see things.

but we agree this is a great debate to be had!

:r :r :r :r :r :r :r

I listen to WYCE. "The greatest little radio station on the planet. Listener sponsored, volunteered powered. Folk, Blues, Jazz, Rock, World beat All in One Place."

Of course, Paul. I did not misconstrue out of contempt, but as an avenue for discussion, probing his intent. And he has responded tactfully.

Yes, Elmer, I understand completely. I have close friends just like you. In my own defense, I was an accomplished tromboner (I love that word!) in my school years, and I enjoyed it very much. I totally get the attraction that people have to music. It boarders the realm of a religion, having a nearly universal appeal to humans. Because of my condition, I have been forced to view the world through different lenses, finding joy in quiet contemplation instead of neuro-stimulation. Thankfully, my tinnitis is not severe, and does not disturb my sleep---perhaps because I have learned to ignore it (mostly). A running fan or white noise generator does wonders!

Thank you for enlightening me further. Rock on, brother! :i I'll sit quietly and think on this.

Ah ha! A fellow trombone player! I feel that often the bass is best for those who have issues with their hearing as they are felt much more than heard at times.

Play on my friend, play on.

I like music - but I really enjoy more peace and quiet over music. I have gone many miles before I realized that the radio was not on in the car. I am able to think alot more when there are no distractions, like a radio in the background.

Yes I realize I am not the Norm ! But this is who I am !!

I'm so enjoying reading everyone's responses and debate.

I would love to be able to do the silent thing, but it takes music to get my butt up off the couch and moving.

Plus, I think the yeasty babies like to be sung to.

What an interesting idea, Gina. Better wine through music! Is this a comment from experience, or just conjecture? Maybe the music helps the wine maker (you) make better wine.

"tromboner"
that made my morning and almost caused a coffee spit take all over my monitor!

What an interesting idea, Gina. Better wine through music! Is this a comment from experience, or just conjecture? Maybe the music helps the wine maker (you) make better wine.

Well, I suppose I could go all "straw-graspy" and come up with some far fetched reason why music would in fact aid in production. Let's see..... hrmmmmmm...... Oh, I got it! The vibrations and sound waves from speakers particularly the bass assist in agitating my primary bucket allowing the yeast to bring in more oxygen. This mild agitation assists in a healthier fermentation. Also the sound vibrations help to mildly agitate my carboys causing sediment to fall faster.

Of course I like to think yeasty babies like it because all babies like music right? Studies show that music make babies smarter. LOL, I don't know.

But yeah, I think having music does make me happier and therefor a better wine maker. I know my DB always gets a better stir when I'm rocking down with an upbeat, booty shaking ditty.

Mix of both conjecture and experience, I suppose would be the correct answer as we can't exactly interview the yeast and ask it's opinion on the subject.

Back