Mosti Mondiale Distilled water.....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that filleted bottle water or distilled water makes no difference but depending on the chemical makeup of your tap water that could contain odors and chemical may leave a after taste .....or impart some impurities not good for the over all health on the wine......just my thoughts.....
smiley9.gif

Memphis tap water is so good that Memphis Light Gas & Water bottles it for the Chamber of Commerce labeled as Memphis Tap Water. The Chamber gives it to companies considering relocating to Memphis.

Just to toss this out there - My guess is that all (or most) commercial wineries use domestic water from their local systems. I could be all "wet" but it does seem logical. If it is good for them it should be good for us.

Craig

Craig,

You mean Coors does not get their water out of the river behind the plant? BUMMER!!!
smiley13.gif

They only use for water in a real winery is for hosing down the crush pad and associated equipment. They don't add water to their juice because none was removed to begin with!

Of course you are right, they don't add water to their wine. One too many glasses before making that last post.

In any case, none of my kits have suggested anything but tap.

I don't know, since the old man passed away their quality has gone down hill for sure. They may just be watering down their stuff!
smiley36.gif

Rocky said:
Get out of town, Mike! You mean to tell me that Robert Mondavi does not use Kits?!

That was waaaaaay back 3 days ago. I can't believe it stay on topic for the better part of two days. LOL

Dean said:
K-meta binds with chlorine very fast to make it fall out as a salt. If you ever have to clean your equipment with bleach, you can always spray k-meta in after to get any residual chlorine you have left to fall out! It has the same effect in chlorinated water too.

I've not done the exact calculations, but about 1/16 of a tsp in 6 gallons should be enough to bind with all the residual chlorine from treatment. Again, if the water tastes good enough to drink, then it's perfect for kits. Kits were designed for tap water.

I'd encourage you all to google bottled water bacteria levels. You are going to be grossed out and very surprised by what they are finding. Tap water has very rigorous safety testing for bacteria, while bottled water is largely unregulated and untested.[/QUOTE

Dean, that's good information. A few months ago I filled a gallon jug with tap water and added some kmeta to it. I noticed the sediment and wondered what it was.

Wade said:
Besides it missing many minerals, it has been depleted of 02 also which again isnt a good thing. 

That is a myth, Water contains 2 molecules of Hydrogen for each molecule of Oxygen. Without the molecule of oxygen it would not be water. Distilling only removes impurities and minerals etc....... not oxygen.

Well, actually, most water has a lot of unattached O2 molecules floating around in it. That's how fish are able to live in it. And our little yeasties sure do need it.

Just to be clear, the oxygen in water comes from the atmosphere. Not from dissociation of a water molecule. The oxygen has to cross the air/water interface- often a slow process.

Just how slow depends on whether the water is still or running, how much surface is in contact with the air, what's dissolved in the water, and whether any films (like soap, or broken bacteria or algae cell walls) are floating on the surface.

Once the oxygen crosses the surface, it is "caged" by water molecules.
smiley23.gif

I would think it would be depleted for short period of time only and then it would almost immediately start to suck it back into the water. Here is a pretty good page on Oxygen in Water.

andy123 said:
I have learned drinking distilled wine can dim the senses.
smiley29.gif

smiley36.gif
Good one! I'm finding the same thing...very satisying ...

BTW: I did not use distilled water per the kit instructions and, at bottling, the wine had no problems using Arlinton, TX tap water. But many thanks to all for all the info.....

Latest posts

Back