Other Water

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have always used tap water but decided to try distilled for my FWK kiwi. It's more convenient to use distilled (because of where I ferment the wine) but of course it's also more expensive.

I have done a FWK strawberry with tap water and so I will do the next one (currently in my fridge) with distilled and will have a direct comparison.

I'm on a well -- I've used my water, distilled water, and commercial drinking water. I can't see I've seen a difference.

However, if you have municipal water with a high chlorine content, I'd use something else.
Same here, well water.

I have high iron and hard water. I have a softener (added salt) and a chem free iron filter. The treated water is very good.. now! Before I used the softener as the iron filter and this required such high salt amounts to remove the iron that the water was extremely soft and salty tasting. It was fine for some ferments, but I would not use it for wine. I do use my well water as it is treated now.

Unless your tap water is questionable (contaminants, additives, or unusual Ph) there is no reason to use anything else. As Bryan mentioned, highly chlorinated water is no good. It could effect fermentation, add off flavours, etc. That's where filtering, spring/distilled come into play, but if your water is good, don't overthink it.

I have used tap water with chlorine and never had a problem.

Back