Mosti Mondiale Distilled water.....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbrown

Reaction score
I have just purchased my Barolo kit (Renaissance Ltd. Edition) and I was wondering if using distilled water is recommended?

Thanks...

You must mean a Renaissance UnLimited Edition. Great kits. I have made a lot of them.

I use regular Tap water. Wine taste great.

Unless your local water has a problem I would not go to the expence of bottled.

If you do need bottled water I would not use distilled. The distilling process takes a lot out of the water and it taste flat.

Thats my 2 cents.

Tap water is usually fine as long as its good quality with no off taste/smell.

I don't like or want chlorine in mine so I use the bottled stuff out of the machine at the local grocery store that cleans up chlorine and sediment.

Distilled is not recommended normally. Yeast can use the minerals found in tap and bottled water.

Always found that to be kinda a funny/strange thing to put on the box!
smiley5.gif

Scott B said:
You must mean a Renaissance UnLimited Edition. Great kits. I have made a lot of them.

I would not use distilled water because of the potential shortage of minerals that the yeast needs. Although I'm not an expert like the majority of people on this forum, my rule of thumb is that if you're happy to drink your tap water and it tastes just fine to you, then it's likely OK for making wine. (Like all rules of thumb, I'm sure people can find exceptions to this one.)

Arden

Arden said:
I would not use distilled water because of the potential shortage of minerals that the yeast needs. my rule of thumb is that if you're happy to drink your tap water and it tastes just fine to you, then it's likely OK for making wine. (Like all rules of thumb, I'm sure people can find exceptions to this one.)

Arden

I agree. If it tastes good out of the tap, it will make good wine. Although I would not use distilled water, if your water is untreated well water and you are not comfortable, go ahead and use filtered water... the kind you get from a grocery store.

When I make a kit I use spring water. I don't want the chlorine that comes with the tap water. I guess you could use a carbon filter just as well.

Besides it missing many minerals, it has been depleted of 02 also which again isnt a good thing.

I too prefer using bottles spring water but you can also boil your tap water which will dissipate most of the chlorine.

Bummer reading these posts. I have used distilled water because I saw that in an instruction somewhere. I believe what it said was, "Use the purest water available" which would be distilled water. I have not used it in all my kits, but a lot. Could I be in trouble?

Its not going to hurt it. Remember your only replacing what was physically removed by the kit manufacturer to make it easier to ship/handle. Distilled would be pure for sure. The minerals are good for the yeast and the water taste better than distilled thats for sure!

Rocky said:
Bummer reading these posts. I have used distilled water because I saw that in an instruction somewhere. I believe what it said was, "Use the purest water available" which would be distilled water. I have not used it in all my kits, but a lot. Could I be in trouble?

Thanks, Fellows.

We have very good water here in Delaware County, Ohio so in the future, I will use that. I was surfing other sites, in my mild panic, and found that most agree that distilled water is not recommended. They did say that if distilled water is used, add a yeast nutrient to replace some of the goodies that are removed from the water and are preferred by the yeast. Ihad done this in the original recipes, so I guess all is well. The stuff sure tastes good!

I am really skeptical about the "bottled" waters that are for sale. There have been an number of exposes' that show the "bottlers" just running the water out of the municipal tap into plastic bottles and selling the water for $1 per gallon. The only thing I would be concerned about in the local tap water is Cl and I guess most of that is dissipated in the process. I could always buy one of those filters that go on the tap, but that would also take out a lot of the other goodies. Does anyone know what the yeast is looking for...Mg, Fe, Cu? I am so confused!

Yeasts also have a requirement for phosphorus, which is assimilated as a dihydrogen phosphate ion, and sulfur, which can be assimilated as a sulfate ion or as organic sulfur compounds such as the amino acids methionine and cysteine. Some metals, like magnesium, iron, calcium, and zinc, are also required for good growth of the yeast.

I have one of those 5 gallon bottled water stands. My local grocery store charges $0.40 a gallon. We have great tasting Rocky Mountain water but I still use this water for winemaking and in our expensive automated coffee center. We have high amounts of silica which tends to coat things unfortunately. No problems with that with this water. We go through 5 gallons in about a month so pretty inexpensive protection as well.

K-meta binds with chlorine very fast to make it fall out as a salt. If you ever have to clean your equipment with bleach, you can always spray k-meta in after to get any residual chlorine you have left to fall out! It has the same effect in chlorinated water too.

I've not done the exact calculations, but about 1/16 of a tsp in 6 gallons should be enough to bind with all the residual chlorine from treatment. Again, if the water tastes good enough to drink, then it's perfect for kits. Kits were designed for tap water.

I'd encourage you all to google bottled water bacteria levels. You are going to be grossed out and very surprised by what they are finding. Tap water has very rigorous safety testing for bacteria, while bottled water is largely unregulated and untested.

I agree with what Dean said. From what I have gathered, tap water must meet more stringent standards than does bottled water.

Arden

The water I am getting IS tap water that is RO'd, filtered, then goes through a UV step as well as an Ozone step to kill any bacteria, etc.

If any bugs can survive that they will be around long after we are all long gone.....

Mike, I'm just talking bottled water in general. Not the type you press the button and fill, but rather the type you pickup from the water shelves in Walmart, grocery store, etc. Those pre-bottled bottles can be somewhat suspect as to quality.

The water you get that is RO from a tap is better for sure.

Latest posts

Back