Diabetic????

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dantrubak

Reaction score
Is it possible to use an artificial sugar instead of real sugar? Or could I use a juice sweetened with Splenda or similar to make a juice wine? would that work?

Is it possible to use an artificial sugar instead of real sugar? Or could I use a juice sweetened with Splenda or similar to make a juice wine? would that work?

I ferment my wine dry, where all the sugar has been converted to alcohol and CO2. I usually don't back sweetent even my fruit wines. I don't know if you can backsweeten with something like Splenda. As for me, we just drink it dry.

It's been a long time since I took organic chemistry. Alcohol likely is converted to sugar after consumption, but yes, there would be no direct sugar. Specific Gravity is a measure of dissolved solids. When the specific gravity is 1.000 or lower then it is comparable to water.

There are a couple of members who backsweeten with artificial sweeteners.

Artificial sugar will not work for fermentation. You have to use real sugar in order for the yeast to convert it to alcohol. In a dry wine, all or almost all of the sugar is consumed by the yeast.

Not an expert on diabetes, but I imagine a dry wine is better than sweet wines for diabetics. I know some folks have used artificial sweeteners to sweeten their dry wines, but from what I gather, it is best to do this at time of consumption - meaning add the artificial sweetener to what you are drinking at the moment.

I believe alcohol is also bad for diabetics, but I would suggest doing what someone else suggested and ask your doctor.

I'll ask a doctor for his opinion about wine drinking just after I ask them for advice about the rib eye covered with bacon that I just ate.

All kidding aside, My wife is a nurse and a diabetic. A small glass of dry wine is about all she will consume. You might put wine right next to a glass of orange juice or apple cider. If you are a diabetic, all of it is best to avoid.

If you are a diabetic, check your sugar after wine consumption. That should tell you how your body is reacting.

Here are a few links on the subject.

http://diabetes.webmd.com/drinking-alcohol

http://www.dlife.com/diabetes/lifestyle/diabetes_alcohol/about-diabetes-and-alcohol

Just count the Carbs in the wine and adjust your insulin accordingly.

Usually Red wine has approx 5 carbs per glass. White has a little more.

I am diabetic and I adjust my insulin accoringly.

dantrubak....

Type 1 or Type 2?

Type 1 ... I've heard comments similar to mikev63's before, but I don't know much about Type 1

Type 2 ... according to my diabetic nurse and dietician (my wife and I are both borderline Type 2 diabetic), it's all about moderation. Avoid the sweet wines because of the sugars, but the dry ones are OK in moderation. You'll learn how your body reacts. White wine affects my wife differently than red wine. Neither (in moderation) affects me much. I even drink small amounts of none-dry wines occasionally (had some port last month, mist wines, off-dry whites), without any real impact. That means that the blood test that measures your 3 month blood sugar average (or whatever it does) keeps coming out fine.

Steve

Latest posts

Back