DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ummmm ---------- isn't that backwards? At a starting ABV of 1.090 and and ending SG of .990 you get an a ABV of 13.58%, not 9.45%.

I believe Willie was saying that if Jeff's self-reported SG of 1.062 was accurate, and if he fermented to 0.990, then his wine would wind up at 9.45%.

OK - I see that now - THAT makes sense. thanks for clearing that up.
Disregard my previous transmission. :ib\

I think my blueberry dragon blood went bad! :-(
Yes, it sat in my 6 gal carboy longer than it should have because.... life happened. But it was airtight.
I bottled it and it smelled off. When we tried it, it definitely isn't right. It tastes like bad wine and nail polish:s haha
Do you think because it sat in the carboy it went bad? I'm not sure what could have happened, other than I bought blueberries for the first time (Normally I use my own that I grow). Was there something with the blueberries that would have caused the wine to turn?

Just a bummer and I hope it doesn't happen again :(

I can't imagine what could have gone wrong. I've made Blueberry DB twice and turned out fine. Just sitting in the carboy airtight to me the wine would be just sitting there and ageing. I assume you back sweetened it? Someone with more experience than I may have an idea what happened. Nail polish? YUK.

Will

I have a question I just racked my wine again once more and I’m supposed to wait another week before bottling. I checked the specific gravity and it’s at 1.010

Before I moved wine into my carboy from primary my SG was at 1 line below 0.990 for 3-4 days and at a constant 75.5 degrees is this OK or will this wine be too weak? I’m not sure what happened but I followed all instructions exactly and used all ingredients exactly as listed. Maybe I’m worrying for no reason?

*edit* I checked it also adding 3/4 cup of sugar per gallon as requested in instructions. Would this have something to do with it?

Last edited:
Hi tyfattori. If I understand your post aright, I think you misunderstand what an hydrometer reading tells you. Knowing the specific gravity after the yeast has been actively fermenting tells you nothing whatsoever about the "weakness" or "strength" of the wine. It tells you ONLY how much residual sugar remains. And the amount remaining has nothing to do with how much fermentable sugar was in the wine before you pitched the yeast. That means your must (the juice before you pitch the yeast) could have had a specific gravity of 1.050, or 1.100 or 1.150 or any other number (and these three gravities COULD ferment a wine giving you an ABV of about 6.5%, 13%, or 19% . So is your wine "weak". Well, I don't know what you mean by "weak" and even if I did I would not know what the ABV of your wine might be since you only advise us of the amount of residual sugar in your wine...
BUT the amount of sugar in your wine seems to have increased since you racked (moved) your wine. If it was at .990 one day and then at a later date it increased to 1.010 there is now about 8 oz of sugar in each gallon that was not there before. Now the cause of that increase could be one of four things -
1. magic
2. a misreading of your hydrometer (reporter's error)
3. an inaccurate and unreliable hydrometer (malfunctioning tools)
4. a third party who added more sugar to your wine but who failed to inform you.
Me? I would discount reasons 1 and 4. Reason 3 can be tested by simply measuring the gravity of distilled water (it should be 1.000) and then measuring the gravity of distilled water to which you have added 2 oz of sugar and which the volume is precisely 1 pint. The gravity should be 1.040. If it is then reason 3 seems unlikely... which leaves only.. But as I say, I may have misunderstood your post.

Hi tyfattori. If I understand your post aright, I think you misunderstand what an hydrometer reading tells you. Knowing the specific gravity after the yeast has been actively fermenting tells you nothing whatsoever about the "weakness" or "strength" of the wine. It tells you ONLY how much residual sugar remains. And the amount remaining has nothing to do with how much fermentable sugar was in the wine before you pitched the yeast. That means your must (the juice before you pitch the yeast) could have had a specific gravity of 1.050, or 1.100 or 1.150 or any other number (and these three gravities COULD ferment a wine giving you an ABV of about 6.5%, 13%, or 19% . So is your wine "weak". Well, I don't know what you mean by "weak" and even if I did I would not know what the ABV of your wine might be since you only advise us of the amount of residual sugar in your wine...
BUT the amount of sugar in your wine seems to have increased since you racked (moved) your wine. If it was at .990 one day and then at a later date it increased to 1.010 there is now about 8 oz of sugar in each gallon that was not there before. Now the cause of that increase could be one of four things -
1. magic
2. a misreading of your hydrometer (reporter's error)
3. an inaccurate and unreliable hydrometer (malfunctioning tools)
4. a third party who added more sugar to your wine but who failed to inform you.
Me? I would discount reasons 1 and 4. Reason 3 can be tested by simply measuring the gravity of distilled water (it should be 1.000) and then measuring the gravity of distilled water to which you have added 2 oz of sugar and which the volume is precisely 1 pint. The gravity should be 1.040. If it is then reason 3 seems unlikely... which leaves only.. But as I say, I may have misunderstood your post.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post I appreciate it. I did not know that knowing the SG after fermentation tells you nothing so I apologize I will have to check how to calculate ABV.

I edited my post, the added sugar was from me just today adding the 3/4 cup per gallon as Dave recommended in his recipe. That’s why there is more sugar now than there was before it was just to adjust it to a sweetness that I liked which was actually what he recommended. I added sugar 3/4 cup at a time and tasted until I was happy. No wonder why when I checked the hydrometer it was saying it was sub 5% alcohol that’s why I was worried. I was hoping to have a 10-13% abv like a normal bottle of wine. That’s what I was going off of when I said weak. Sorry I didn’t clear this up in my first post this is the first batch of wine I’ve ever made but I’m really enjoying it. I will do a search and see how to check ABV and then I will do that. Thanks again for the reply Bernard.

If you know the starting gravity you can easily calculate the ABV by subtracting the final gravity - which was .990*** from the starting figure (let's for the sake of argument say it was 1.090) = .100 You then multiply .1 by 131 and your ABV is 13%. (this would be what I would expect if you had added about 2.25 lbs of sugar to every gallon of liquid where the liquid was basically water and lemon juice. In other words, assuming a starting gravity of about 1.090 you are right on taarget).

*** I am assuming that before you added the sugar to increase the sweetness you stabilized the wine by adding K-meta and K-sorbate. Yes? If you didn't the yeast ain't going to care that you want that added sugar to be off limits to the yeast. For the yeast fermentable sugar is fermentable sugar and they - not you get first dibs.

So I went and found how to calculate ABV and my starting SG was 1.090 and my ending was 0.990 so my ABV comes out to be 13.13% ABV (using a calculated)

If you know the starting gravity you can easily calculate the ABV by subtracting the final gravity - which was .990*** from the starting figure (let's for the sake of argument say it was 1.090) = .100 You then multiply .1 by 131 and your ABV is 13%. (this would be what I would expect if you had added about 2.25 lbs of sugar to every gallon of liquid where the liquid was basically water and lemon juice. In other words, assuming a starting gravity of about 1.090 you are right on taarget).

*** I am assuming that before you added the sugar to increase the sweetness you stabilized the wine by adding K-meta and K-sorbate. Yes? If you didn't the yeast ain't going to care that you want that added sugar to be off limits to the yeast. For the yeast fermentable sugar is fermentable sugar and they - not you get first dibs.

You beat me to it I literally found out and calculated my ABV and posted right after you did. But yes I did stabilize when I first racked it and allowed it to clear for a week and half.

Right on target! so your worry is unnecessary. Relax. Given that there is no taxation or excise involved being able to calculate the ABV to the 100th decimal point seems a little unnecessary too - not least because of the relative inaccuracy of using SG to determine alcohol content and being able to accurately read the SG using hydrometers sold for home wine making and given our ability to accurately measure volumes of liquid at specific temperatures.. In other words, I would argue that "13%" is close enough in the world of home wine making and to be able to say that , no, my wine is 12.76% or 13.13% would require far more sophisticated equipment and procedures and processes than we in fact are likely to use. Both are for all intents and purposes 13% in my book

Last edited:
Right on target! so your worry is unnecessary. Relax. Given that there is no taxation or excise involved being able to calculate the ABV to the 100th decimal point seems a little unnecessary too - not least because of the relative inaccuracy of using SG to determine alcohol content and being able to accurately read the SG using hydrometers sold for home wine making and given our ability to accurately measure volumes of liquid at specific temperatures.. In other words, I would argue that "13%" is close enough in the world of home wine making and to be able to say that , no, my wine is 12.76% or 13.13% would require far more sophisticated equipment and procedures and processes than we in fact are likely to use. Both are for all intents and purposes 13% in my book

Awesome! I’m glad I’m on track and thankful for such an awesome forum. Thanks a lot for the help and clearing up my confusion. But I agree! I 13.13% just came up on the calculator I didn’t mean to correct you. Going by a whole number sounds better to me anyways!

No no no.. It's not about correcting me. When I am wrong I want to be corrected. My point was only that we sometimes use figures that appear to be far more carefully obtained than they truly are. Look at the hydrometers we use. Typically, there are 5 lines between 10 points - so how "accurate" is any reading - assuming the viscosity of the liquid is not a problem, assuming the flatness of the surface we are using to stand the cylinder on is not a problem, assuming the surface is perfectly horizontal (not the same as the flatness),and assuming our eye is at eye level to the miniscus... our measurements are rough and ready and that's perfectly OK.. but let's always remember that rough and ready is not the same as accurate to two decimal places

[Thanks, Will!]

I know! I've made it several times before and loved it each time. This last batch is so sad. I can't even bring myself to dump out the bottles! :ts
Maybe I can keep it until it turns to vinegar and use it as weed killer lol :D I just went back to my journal and I remembered it was a delayed start on the fermentation. I was using berries I picked at a farm, so I added the K-Meta. Fermentation didn't start for several days. I wonder if that was it? I would have thought with the 1/4 tsp K-Meta in there it would have prevented spoilage, but maybe not.
Time to check my yeast, too...Unless I goofed or it was a fluke the delayed start was the only difference I can see in my notes.

Rosa321 - what exactly is the problem and what was the recipe and protocol you used? Few wines are total disasters. Most problems can be repaired..

Just started my first try at DB today. We are looking forward to seeing how it goes. used pretty much the Danger Dave recipe but reduced the lemon juice somewhat- strong lemon flavor would not be a hit with my wife. Will let you know how it turns out.
Joe

Well, I learned something today.
I have a 3 gallon batch of all strawberry Dragon's Blood. When I added the sugar, I decided to add a little red food coloring to give it better color, since it was the typical pale orange-pink color of strawberry wine. Looked great.
Then a week later I filtered the wine in prep for bottling. The filter actually removed some of the color. At first, the filtered wine was back to the original color, but apparently the filter loaded up with the food coloring about a third of the way through and started letting the coloring through. I added a capful of food coloring and it was back to where I wanted it.
If I ever add coloring again, I'll have to remember to do it after filtering.

Bottled my strawberry wine today. Turned out great. Used the original Dragon's Blood recipe, except used 6 lbs of strawberries for 3 gallons and went a little lighter on the lemon juice (20 oz). Back sweetened with two and a half cups of sugar.

Attachments

• 2018-03-10 15.40.10_resized.jpg
    2018-03-10 15.40.10_resized.jpg
    610.7 KB · Views: 44
Back