DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tracking Calories

I have been trying to track the amount of calories I eat and drink. There are plenty of resources for regular recipes, but finding information about homemade wine recipes is ... interesting.

Assuming a five gallon finished volume and using the 11.3% ABV that my first batch came out to, I used (manipulated?) the recipe calculator at CalorieCount.com to come up with the following for Dragon's Blood:

By the Ounce:

Dragon Blood Calories - Ounce.JPG

By the Bottle:
Dragon Blood Calories - Bottle.JPG

Do these numbers look reasonable?

AND

Are there better resources for this kind of research?

Thank You,
Cody

Are you taking into account that the sugar is converted to alcohol, thereby giving up some (but not all) of its caloric value?

Yes,

I am assuming (and the hydrometer readings seem to support) that all of the initial sugars are turned to alcohol. There is no way to account for this process directly, so I used the 80 proof vodka as a stand-in for the alcohol.

5 (gallons) x 128 (ounces per gallon) = 640 (ounces in five gallons)

640 (ounces) x .113 (alcohol percentage) = 72.32 (ounces of alcohol in five gallons)

Vodka is only 80 proof so,

72.32 (ounces of alcohol) / 80 = 0.904

0.904 * 100 = 90.4

OR

91 ozs of 80 proof vodka (Approximately).

The only sugar left in the recipe is what is used to backsweeten.

Thank You,
Cody

Ah, I see! I saw the vodka, and thought it was there because you fortified. And I did not notice that the amount of sugar was low, like for backsweetening.

Sounds like a reasonable approach to me!

Just starting a batch on 26 with wild berry. Follow the original recipe given by Dangerdave. Didn't use yeast energizer, can't find it around here, but put 1 more tea spoon of nutrient. All seems to be good, starting SG at 1.076 and a temperature of 72. Now the temperature stay still and the SG is 1.070.
:db

Do you hear fizzing in the must or see any activity? If not then stir it real good to incorporate some Oxygen into it. Also what yeast did you use?

Do you hear fizzing in the must or see any activity? If not then stir it real good to incorporate some Oxygen into it. Also what yeast did you use?

If the question is for me, yes, it's still fermenting pretty well with a lot of activity.
I use the EC-1118 yeast.
This morning the temperature is at 73 and the SG is 1.054.

Most of mine running around that temp has dropped like a rock. The tropical I am doing now was finished the first stage of fermentation in 4 days. After checking the Gravity each day be sure to stir it if the gravity is not at 1.000. It just seems to me like your must is wanting to get stuck.

Stirring twice a day and punching down the fruit, still fermenting a lot.
Yesterday the SG was 1.036. Not check today, gonna do later.

I started Dragon's Blood this weekend, and I am following the instructions as closely as I can. This is my first homebrew ever, but so far it seems to be going well! Starting SG 1.075 (per instructions), and it is fermenting away at a happy 70F. Below is a picture on Sunday when I removed the fruit and stirred.

http://i.imgur.com/2OqfRq3.jpg?1

I started Dragon's Blood this weekend, and I am following the instructions as closely as I can. This is my first homebrew ever, but so far it seems to be going well! Starting SG 1.075 (per instructions), and it is fermenting away at a happy 70F. Below is a picture on Sunday when I removed the fruit and stirred.

http://i.imgur.com/2OqfRq3.jpg?1

Looking good. Your going to love that stuff.

Will

I didn't taste it yet, but it smells great. Is there any reason, aside from possible contamination, that I should not taste it while fermenting? I figure it will just taste weak and yeasty.

More than likely it will taste lemony and hot, which will mellow out with a little time. I cut my lemon down to about 32oz per 6g batch and make my starting SG around where yours is for easier drinking quicker. Flavor is best around 3 months though if you can make it last that long.

I didn't taste it yet, but it smells great. Is there any reason, aside from possible contamination, that I should not taste it while fermenting? I figure it will just taste weak and yeasty.

With every single wine we make we taste at every step, racking, and chance we get. Pretty rough in the beginning with the yeast. But we like to know and learn from taste as well as sight and smell.

Really glad to hear from you! Hope all is well Dave! You've been in the thoughts and prayers of a lot of people.

Back