DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have friends who swear they get tipsier off of my wine than store bought, but I honestly don't know how that can be as the ABV should be about the same. As for worse hangovers, I haven't noticed this personally but maybe I am just building up a tolerance...LOL.

I started my first DB on March 28, and tonight I sweetened with 3 3/4 cups of sugar (after a few tastes along the way). My question is, "why does anyone ever make anything else??" Oh my goodness, that's good! Far better than my first kit wine that is now 7 months old (WE Mezza Luna red). And it's only going to get better??

I started my first DB on March 28, and tonight I sweetened with 3 3/4 cups of sugar (after a few tastes along the way). My question is, "why does anyone ever make anything else??" Oh my goodness, that's good! Far better than my first kit wine that is now 7 months old (WE Mezza Luna red). And it's only going to get better??

I think it really just boils down to a matter of taste. A DB variation I liked the least (but still liked) my wife liked the most. I've liked all my kit reds better than any of the DB I've made but favor the DB over most of the whites which I make for my wife.

A question about increasing fruit poundage….

As one increases the pounds of fruit used, does one, or can one, decrease the starting water level?

In my first batch of DB, I up the fruit to 10.5# with the starting water level of 6 gallons, I definitely had quite a bit of residual wine left in primary bucket after transferring to the 6 gallon carboy…I would prefer to avid that if possible…I am just not (yet) set up to handle anything over 6 gallons....so anything over that is just going to go to waste...

So, for my 2nd batch I am thinking of going with 12# of fruit…should I or can cut back on the water to compensate? Or I am I over thinking and/or missing something?

A question about increasing fruit poundage….

As one increases the pounds of fruit used, does one, or can one, decrease the starting water level?

In my first batch of DB, I up the fruit to 10.5# with the starting water level of 6 gallons, I definitely had quite a bit of residual wine left in primary bucket after transferring to the 6 gallon carboy…I would prefer to avid that if possible…I am just not (yet) set up to handle anything over 6 gallons....so anything over that is just going to go to waste...

So, for my 2nd batch I am thinking of going with 12# of fruit…should I or can cut back on the water to compensate? Or I am I over thinking and/or missing something?
Only add enough water to slightly over a 6 gal mark on your primary fermenter
so you only have enough left to TOP OFF after the 1st racking.

Only add enough water to slightly over a 6 gal mark on your primary fermenter
so you only have enough left to TOP OFF after the 1st racking.

When you say top off, is that with or without the fruit? Per the original directions with 6#, its without…makes sense….

But as people add more and more fruit, the juice volume added would increase would it not? And if you’re using the same starting volume of 6 gallons wouldn’t there be an increase in the overall volume produced? Which in my case, would simply lead to more waste….

Like I say, I could very well be missing something or over thinking this…maybe the juice added isn’t as much I assume it is?

Sounds like your starting with 6 gals. then adding fruit instead of adding some water, all friuit AND THEN adding more water to your 6 gallon mark on your primary. That way you can add 5 lbs or 20lbs or fruit and still end up at 6 gallons.

Mike

When you say top off, is that with or without the fruit? Per the original directions with 6#, its without…makes sense….

But as people add more and more fruit, the juice volume added would increase would it not? And if you’re using the same starting volume of 6 gallons wouldn’t there be an increase in the overall volume produced? Which in my case, would simply lead to more waste….

Like I say, I could very well be missing something or over thinking this…maybe the juice added isn’t as much I assume it is?

I assume most people just eyeball it.

I have only made one batch of DB but did notice the volume of fruit after fermentation was about 25% of what I had before. If I were to to make a batch with more than 6lbs of fruit I would measure the change then add accordingly.

If you add a big ol bag of fruit to your bucket and it raises the volume by 1 gallon then I would assume after fermentation is complete you would lose 75% of that 1 gallon difference.

Then again, you know what they say about assumptions.:slp

Sounds like your starting with 6 gals. then adding fruit instead of adding some water, all friuit AND THEN adding more water to your 6 gallon mark on your primary. That way you can add 5 lbs or 20lbs or fruit and still end up at 6 gallons.

Mike

Yes, I am…as per Dave's original directions…however, as I have read through this thread, I have read a lot about people increasing the fruit levels, but with real no details about the actual process/adjustments of doing so….like I said, in the first of DB I made with more fruit (10.5#), I assumed the starting volume of 6 gallon of water pre-fruit still applied….now that I am getting really to do next batch with 12#, I am questioning that assumption…

What you suggest makes sense, but as noob, I just want to check that my thinking, that thinking is correct….

I have always started with 6 gallons of water, pre-fruit, regardless of the pounds of fruit I am using. In my latest batch I used around 15 pounds of fruit but there was so much sediment from that, that by the time I racked off the lees in the primary and into the carboy there wasn't much more than 6 gallons remaining. Whatever I have left beyond what will fit in my carboy I put in an appropriate sized sanitized canning jar and that is what I use to top up my wine if I need to.

I do as Val does. I always start off with recommended water amount whether it be 2 gal., 3 gal. or 6 gal., depending on what size batch I am making. Then I add the fruit. I have found 1.5lbs. per gallon works best for me, when making the triple/quad berry.

I also add extra water to those amounts to allow for "topping up". Typically if I am making a 2 gal. batch I start with 280-288oz. of water/liquid. 2 gal. plus 24-32oz. for loss due to sediiment when racking from primary to secondary. I normally will have 2-1 gal. carboys and 1-2 750ml bottles when racking from primary to secondary.

I have always started with 6 gallons of water, pre-fruit, regardless of the pounds of fruit I am using. In my latest batch I used around 15 pounds of fruit but there was so much sediment from that, that by the time I racked off the lees in the primary and into the carboy there wasn't much more than 6 gallons remaining. Whatever I have left beyond what will fit in my carboy I put in an appropriate sized sanitized canning jar and that is what I use to top up my wine if I need to.

Thank you!

Anyone have suggestions where I can purchase a couple of 3 gallon primary's? My local Brewshop doesn't offer them. Looking to make some 3 gallon batches of other fruit wines. Thanks

I'm one who adds the fruit after some water is added but before the final addition of water past the 23L/6 gal. mark. I've gotten reasonable good at winding up with pretty close to 23L/6 gal after my first racking. Especially so if I've started with a bit less water and have added as the fruit pack gets squeezed over a period of days and can add small amount of water as I see better where the final level will wind up with the fruit pack removed. I might have just a little topping off to do or a little overage but that's what works for me. I do the same for my kits that come with grape skin packs.

Anyone have suggestions where I can purchase a couple of 3 gallon primary's? My local Brewshop doesn't offer them. Looking to make some 3 gallon batches of other fruit wines. Thanks

First off, for a 3 gallon batch, you need at least a 4 gallon primary. Foaming,etc. Trust me! My local donut shop gets frosting in 4 gallon buckets. Give them several washings with soap and water and then fill them with Oxyclean green solution. Do this a couple of times and they can be used. The lids have a gasket so can be used as secondaries also. For the airlock, I drill a 1 1/2 inch hole in the lid and use a #8 1/2 drilled stopper. Also, some hardware and farm supply stores carry 4-5 gallon buckets.

Primary bucket can be any size larger than what you are making. ( Ex.. the 7.5 gal primary your LHBS carries will still work on a 3 gallon batch). As for needing secondary carboys in 3 gallon size there is numerous places online that sale them. Labelpeelers, morewine etc.

Taste

Hello, I'm almost done but before i racked it to my secondary i tasted it and it tasted awful :se ! It tasted like nothing in the mouth and then as it slid down my throat it gave me a burning sensation :sh ! Is this normal? How is it supposed to taste?
I believe i might have added a bit to much tannin acid. If i did add to much tannin acid, can i fix this? :(

Hello, I'm almost done but before i racked it to my secondary i tasted it and it tasted awful! It tasted like nothing in the mouth and then as it slid down my throat it gave me a burning sensation! Is this normal? How is it supposed to taste?
I believe i might have added a bit to much tannin acid. If i did add to much tannin acid, can i fix this?

I would give it at least a week in your secondary before jumping to any conclusions, or trying to make adjustments to what you may or may not have done right.

Hello, I'm almost done but before i racked it to my secondary i tasted it and it tasted awful :se ! It tasted like nothing in the mouth and then as it slid down my throat it gave me a burning sensation :sh ! Is this normal? How is it supposed to taste?

I believe i might have added a bit to much tannin acid. If i did add to much tannin acid, can i fix this? :(

If you haven't added any sugar yet that may be part of the problem. I found the flavor profiles came forward more after adding sugar.

I agree with the others...don't make a judgement or try to make adjustments until it's cleared in the secondary and you have backsweetened!

Latest posts

Back