DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oops! Yes, I didn't change the label from the previous one, good catch, I haven't printed the rest yet, I'll change it. My computer was giving me grief yesterday!

haha
No worries. Just my OCD.

I'm planning to start Strawberry Tart next, I've read a lot of people are having clearing problems, any help and advise from those that didn't have clearing problems? That way I can follow the leader!

I get donated bottles and I spend A LOT OF TIME making sure my bottles match for a batch of wine!

I use 1/3 cup of untaosted American oak powder per six gallon batch in the primary, and add 3 tsp additional wine tannin at stabilization time (when the sulphite and sobate are added).

It may seem like a heavy load of tannins (I'm still using 3 tsp tannin in the primary, also), but the Dragon Blood seems to handle it well, having a nice bold flavor up front.

Johnna loves it!

I brewed up a batch of triple berry DB using the extra 3 tsp of tannin in the secondary as specified. My local LHBS did not have any oak powder on hand so I went with 1 cup of chips instead.

Bottled a couple weeks ago and had a bottle last night, it was lovely. Seemed to have more berry flavor to me earlier than my last batch did, and I love the mouthfeel. It very well might just be placebo effect, but I am really liking the additions to the recipe. Hopefully my wife will agree as well, since this batch was made for her (backsweetened to 1.010 since she likes them sweet, hopefully the extra tannin helps with her fibro).

I get it! The J over the J = J "squared". I like the label.

My name is Jackie Jackson so I've gone by J Squared for random stuff for years. My daughter came up with the J over the J logo for me. I'm also a closet gamer and I go by J Squared when I'm gaming.

Our Strawberry Tart will be 7 wks. old this Friday. I used Super Kleer once and it did clear except the carboy had a bunch of lees on the bottom. Racked it again and sweetened it and now it's not clear after 6 days. So I guess for the next couple of weeks I will just wait to see if it clears again. I don't want to use any more Chems if I don't have to. This is my first time having a slow clearing experience. Keep us posted Cheesehead on how your batch is doing.

Will
This too is my 1st slow clearing batch, I will certainly keep you posted on the progress

Haven't paid much attention to this thread lately, and I want to make another batch. What's the link to the current recipe? I don't have time to read 299 pages.:)

View attachment 21514 I bottled my first batch of Dragon Blood! The bottle labeled Dragon Blood Bold has a Fpack in it for added flavor so it's slightly darker in color! I'm really pleased with the Dragon Blood Bold. I'm hoping another week will mellow the original a little more but it is good as it sits.

What did you use as an FPack?

I spiced a batch of DB with cinnamon and cloves but it is too much. I added ginger to a bottle and it is really good. Now I have to open all my bottles to drop in a piece of candied ginger. My question is - can I re-use my corks or must I use new ones? Any thoughts?

I spiced a batch of DB with cinnamon and cloves but it is too much. I added ginger to a bottle and it is really good. Now I have to open all my bottles to drop in a piece of candied ginger. My question is - can I re-use my corks or must I use new ones? Any thoughts?

I would recork with new as you are "punching a hole" in them when opening, unless you aren't going all the way through. Even so, I would recork with new just to be safe, especially if I was storing any of them for months at a time.

What did you use as an FPack?

I used a 12 oz can of mixed berry frozen juice concentrate per 2 gallons of wine. Someone else on here had done the same so I tried it on 1 gallon first to see how I liked it. It didn't cloud my wine at all and I was very pleased with the added flavor and aroma. It wasn't a lot but enough for me to add it to more of the batch.

This is my first batch of DB. I've been following the recipe as closely as possible. 12 days ago I transferred from primary into glass. SG had been at 0.992 for two days. I used my AIO wine pump to make the transfer so as to degas at the same time. Because of using this method, I decided to rack the wine twice to make sure it was thoroughly degassed. I added k-meta and sorbate per the recipe and used Sparkalloid for fining.

It has cleared nicely, but I keep seeing tiny little bubbles rising to the top. I even turned off the lights and shined a flashlight through to check if that's indeed what I was seeing. Sure enough, I've got several streams of tiny bubbles coming up from the bottom. And there is no movement in the airlock. I checked to make sure all was securely sealed. Sure enough, it is.

Is this unusual for DB? I'm reluctant to bottle while I'm still seeing this. I confess, I haven't read all 300 pages of this thread, so I may be raising something that's already gotten a lot of time.

This is my first batch of DB. I've been following the recipe as closely as possible. 12 days ago I transferred from primary into glass. SG had been at 0.992 for two days. I used my AIO wine pump to make the transfer so as to degas at the same time. Because of using this method, I decided to rack the wine twice to make sure it was thoroughly degassed. I added k-meta and sorbate per the recipe and used Sparkalloid for fining.

It has cleared nicely, but I keep seeing tiny little bubbles rising to the top. I even turned off the lights and shined a flashlight through to check if that's indeed what I was seeing. Sure enough, I've got several streams of tiny bubbles coming up from the bottom. And there is no movement in the airlock. I checked to make sure all was securely sealed. Sure enough, it is.

Is this unusual for DB? I'm reluctant to bottle while I'm still seeing this. I confess, I haven't read all 300 pages of this thread, so I may be raising something that's already gotten a lot of time.

I've noticed the same thing. A steady stream of tiny bubbles coming from the bottom even after degassing with a wine whip.

Latest posts

Back