DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6.5 gallons of Dragon Blood gone!

Poeple use your wine bottle carrying handle. I left mine in drawer and now I have to drink off the floor.

Hopefully you weren't cut. I've broken one carboy in the two years that I've been making wine. Happened to me while cleaning a carboy in the kitchen sink. No wine was lost but I did get a small cut.

I have some DB in the carboy I'm going to bottle on Friday. Would it be Ok to add a little more sugar prior to bottling? The wife decided she would prefer it to be a little sweeter.

Willie is right on.

Also, if you get the DB to the desired sweetness you/wife wants, take an SG reading and then you will know where to get the DB too next time. I do this and keep detailed notes on how much sugar I added so if I really like a certain batch, I can mimic it pretty closely.

Willie is right on.

Also, if you get the DB to the desired sweetness you/wife wants, take an SG reading and then you will know where to get the DB too next time. I do this and keep detailed notes on how much sugar I added so if I really like a certain batch, I can mimic it pretty closely.

Great info as always guys, thanks!

6.5 gallons of Dragon Blood gone!

Poeple use your wine bottle carrying handle. I left mine in drawer and now I have to drink off the floor.

View attachment 20218

Oh my, that is so sad! Cleaning up a broken carboy is bad enough but filled with over 6 gallons of wine would be a nightmare. I think I might have just sat down and cried!

I didn't cry but I did sit down and drink a bottle of wine waiting to see if it would clean its self up. So with that all behind me now I'm starting 12 more gallons today. I'm outta lemon juice can someone tell how much acid blend to use in the 6 gallon recipe? I've been doing the 48oz lemon juice but am willing to try the acid blend version.
Thanks bz

Willie is right on.

If you sweeten, don't you need to use some potassium sorbate to stop the yeast before you bottle? Otherwise you would end up with carbonated wine?

That's a tough lesson boozehound, and a heck of a mess.... Looks like you have some in the pipeline....

Saygin Patent
Sektörde 2006 yılından bu yana hizmet vermekte olan firmamız mesleki bilgileri kuvvetli kadrosu ile birlikte; Yurtiçi ile Yurtdışında faaliyet göstermekte olan gerçek ve tüzel kişilere resmi olarak vekillik/danışmanlık hizmetleri sunmaktadır. Türkiye çapında bir çok sektörde referans sahibi olan firmamızda gün geçtikçe müşteri sayısı çoğalmaktadır.
Sınai Mülkiyet Hakları konularında her zaman firmamızı arayabilir, marka ve patent vekillerimizden bu konularla ilgili her türlü bilgiyi edinebilirsiniz.

http://www.sayginpatent.com

Saygin Patent
Sektörde 2006 yılından bu yana hizmet vermekte olan firmamız mesleki bilgileri kuvvetli kadrosu ile birlikte; Yurtiçi ile Yurtdışında faaliyet göstermekte olan gerçek ve tüzel kişilere resmi olarak vekillik/danışmanlık hizmetleri sunmaktadır. Türkiye çapında bir çok sektörde referans sahibi olan firmamızda gün geçtikçe müşteri sayısı çoğalmaktadır.
Sınai Mülkiyet Hakları konularında her zaman firmamızı arayabilir, marka ve patent vekillerimizden bu konularla ilgili her türlü bilgiyi edinebilirsiniz.

http://www.sayginpatent.com

Bizim forum Hoş Geldiniz!

If you sweeten, don't you need to use some potassium sorbate to stop the yeast before you bottle? Otherwise you would end up with carbonated wine?

Calvin is right on.

I was making the assumption that he had already added sorbate since he was at the bottling stage.

Sorbate has already been added. It's already been sweetened once. The wife just decided she would like it a little sweeter.

jumby,
Just remember too, this wine will have more flavor and appear somewhat sweeter in a couple of months. It all blends together well.
Not to say you/wife may not want it sweeter, but just keep that in mind so you don't oversweeten it.

jumby,
Just remember too, this wine will have more flavor and appear somewhat sweeter in a couple of months. It all blends together well.
Not to say you/wife may not want it sweeter, but just keep that in mind so you don't oversweeten it.

This is my 2nd batch. I initially sweetened this batch to the same level as the 1st. The 1st batch is now over 2 months old and the wife would prefer it to be just a little sweeter.

btw, I backsweetened my 1st batch to 1.010. I think I'm going take this batch up to 1.020-1.025

I would not go over 1.020 until you see. That is quite a jump. I think at 1.015 you will notice a difference. Just my .02

Has anyone just blended or use food processor on the fruit instead of the squeezing method Dave taught us? By the way I have read this whole thread over a months time and just don't remember seeing the answer.

Latest posts

Back