DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you think 3 months in the carboy is adequate time for all the sediment to drop? I usually shoot for 6 or more months with my reds.

Did you put your fruit in a bag when fermenting? I assume you racked per instructions and used Sparklloid? And let it sit the recommended time, per instructions, before racking off sediment?
There is no reason you need to bulk age DB for 3 months. At the 3 month mark, it is hitting it's prime to be drank.

Did you put your fruit in a bag when fermenting? I assume you racked per instructions and used Sparklloid? And let it sit the recommended time, per instructions, before racking off sediment?
There is no reason you need to bulk age DB for 3 months. At the 3 month mark, it is hitting it's prime to be drank.

The fruit was in a bag and I followed the instructions. Maybe I'll give it a month in the carboy then bottle.

jumby,
Hmmm, I got nothing for you then. I have made numerous batches and varieties of DB and never had sediment drop in the bottles. Only issue I have had is when using Sparklloid, it sometimes leaves this "whispy" sediment that shows up a month or two later. I have since switched to SuperKleer.

jumby,
Hmmm, I got nothing for you then. I have made numerous batches and varieties of DB and never had sediment drop in the bottles. Only issue I have had is when using Sparklloid, it sometimes leaves this "whispy" sediment that shows up a month or two later. I have since switched to SuperKleer.

That's exactly what I have! A "whispy" "cloudy" sediment floating around at the bottom of the bottle. SuperKleer will take of that? If so I'll use SuperKleer for all my future batches.

Is it to late to add SuperKleer to the batch I currently have in the carboy? It's already been cleared and sweetened.

Is it to late to add SuperKleer to the batch I currently have in the carboy? It's already been cleared and sweetened.

Just want to add if you have cleared and sweetend then you should filter before bottling. If you want to bulk age for a few weeks that will be fine. Just remember your DB will pretty much peek in flavor at about 3 months or so.
If there is sediment in a bottle of wine when you want to drink it , just filter thru something like cheese cloth or similar into a carafe or pitcher. Or just pour and stop before the sediment pours out.

Will

Can't answer that as I have never "re-cleared" a clear wine. I know when I first started making DB it was crystal clear in the carboy and when I bottled it. 1-2 mos. goes by and those "whispies" show up. I have heard from others they have had that issue when using Sparklloid, although others haven't.

jamesngalveston(former member here) got me using SuperKleer. Where Sparklloid leaves a fluffier pack of sediment on the bottom, SuperKleer leaves a more compact pile of sediment.

How long in the bottle ?

Quick question about Dragon Blood Wine to everyone. After the db wine is bottled how long can the wine sit on the rack before drinking it. I read at around 3 months the wine will be at its peak taste but I want to know how long it can sit on the wine rack, is it years or only months. I have 2 batches of DB that is now about 8 months old and it will probably be quite some time before we drink it.
What is your opinion on this. Thank you.

The oldest I have drank was 14mos. old. It had not improved any over the 3-4 mo. mark. Mine usually lasts between 8-10mos.

Just an update on my first batch of DB. I have racked it twice for safe measure. About to back-sweeten tonight and let sit for another week.

Also started Monday with a new Batch of Blueberry Pomegranate DB. Wife and I can't wait to try that one out.
Pictures to come.

IMO, oak is great in Dragon Blood. After much experimentation, I use 1/3 cup of untoasted oak powder in my primaries. It gives a nice bold oak background to the otherwise bold taste of DB. But I'm an oak nut anyway. This version has converted my wife to be an oak lover as well---at least in this recipe.

Sparkolloid was used in the original recipe to keep the cost down---because that was one of the main goals early on. By all means, use whatever clearing agent you want. I'm a Super Kleer guy myself, now. Wonderful stuff!

DB rarely lasts a couple of months at our house. If it's getting that old, I give it away. Like most of the DB officionados have pointed out, it doesn't seem to improve after a few months. I have saved some for a year in the past to see how it turned out, and I was surprised to find it developed a spicey undertone, like cinnamon. Some people might like it that way, but I prefer to drink it young.

IMO, oak is great in Dragon Blood. After much experimentation, I use 1/3 cup of untoasted oak powder in my primaries. It gives a nice bold oak background to the otherwise bold taste of DB. But I'm an oak nut anyway. This version has converted my wife to be an oak lover as well---at least in this recipe.

Sparkolloid was used in the original recipe to keep the cost down---because that was one of the main goals early on. By all means, use whatever clearing agent you want. I'm a Super Kleer guy myself, now. Wonderful stuff!

DB rarely lasts a couple of months at our house. If it's getting that old, I give it away. Like most of the DB officionados have pointed out, it doesn't seem to improve after a few months. I have saved some for a year in the past to see how it turned out, and I was surprised to find it developed a spicey undertone, like cinnamon. Some people might like it that way, but I prefer to drink it young.
If using oak chips, would you place them in the nylon bag with the Triple Blend Berries, after 1st mashing the bag to extract the juices into the primary, the 1st time????

If using oak chips, would you place them in the nylon bag with the Triple Blend Berries, after 1st mashing the bag to extract the juices into the primary, the 1st time????

I don't put my oak chips in the fruit bag because I mash the fruit daily while the bag is in the primary and the chips are a sharp and get in the way. I just let them float and don't have any trouble keeping them from getting through the racking process.

Thanks D.J.,Dave and others on the info. about Super Kleer. I have been using Sparkaloid as per the original recipe. A couple of my batches have had some wisps of sediment in the bottles after a couple of months. As soon as I use up what Spark. I have left I will make the switch to S.K.

Will

I too will be switching over to Super Kleer for all my future batches.

6.5 gallons of Dragon Blood gone!

Poeple use your wine bottle carrying handle. I left mine in drawer and now I have to drink off the floor.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1421726156.541052.jpg

I have some DB in the carboy I'm going to bottle on Friday. Would it be Ok to add a little more sugar prior to bottling? The wife decided she would prefer it to be a little sweeter.

I have some DB in the carboy I'm going to bottle on Friday. Would it be Ok to add a little more sugar prior to bottling? The wife decided she would prefer it to be a little sweeter.

The answer to your question is yes. Once it has cleared you can add sugar any time before bottling. What ever it takes to get the desired sweetness you want. You can also add sugar/sweetener to your glass of wine after pouring if it is too dry for your tastes.

Will

Latest posts

Back