DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Labeling the bottles that are going to be gifted is extra work and expense but it does bring me and more importantly, most often, those receiving the bottle a bit of extra joy. I'll often make a "custom" label that relates or speaks to the person to whom I'm giving the wine bottle gift.

Here is a label made for a niece's son. He was discharged from the Air Force and wound up starting a career as an electrician, in Texas. Jordan was back in Connecticut for a visit with family and friends and a bottle of DB with this label was presented to him. He was thrilled with having been given this very special bottle of DB.

Texas.PNG

Last edited:
Labeling the bottles that are going to be gifted is extra work and expense but it does bring me and more importantly, most often, those receiving the bottle a bit of extra joy. I'll often make a "custom" label that relates or speaks to the person to whom I'm giving the wine bottle gift.

Here is a label made for a niece's son. He was discharged from the Air Force and wound up starting a career as an electrician, in Texas. Jordan was back in Connecticut for a visit with family and friends and a bottle of DB with this label was presented to him. He was thrilled with having been given this very special bottle of DB.

That is awesome, Bill! I love that idea :b

My first batch of DB is nearing completion. I used a mix of lemon and pineapple juice and the pineapple flavor comes through nicely. Last night I back sweetened with 2 cans of raspberry/white grape 100% concentrate and 2 can of white grape 100% concentrate. This brought the SG to 1.002 (we normally drink dry wine). Now...I have to work on the clearing before I bottle. I originally added the pectin enzyme and then sparkolloid. Later I added more pectin enzyme. Now I plan to add superkleer. Getting there....

My first batch of DB is nearing completion. I used a mix of lemon and pineapple juice and the pineapple flavor comes through nicely. Last night I back sweetened with 2 cans of raspberry/white grape 100% concentrate and 2 can of white grape 100% concentrate. This brought the SG to 1.002 (we normally drink dry wine). Now...I have to work on the clearing before I bottle. I originally added the pectin enzyme and then sparkolloid. Later I added more pectin enzyme. Now I plan to add superkleer. Getting there....

That sounds like a very tasty DB variation.

I just opened my first bottle of the Christmas Wine...aka fig and berry spiced Dragon Blood...and all I can say is holy cow, I LOVE this version!!! I used star anise instead of the licorice root it called for and just enough of the aroma and taste of it come through to make this wine truly unique and totally awesome. :h :hug :r

I just opened my first bottle of the Christmas Wine...aka fig and berry spiced Dragon Blood...and all I can say is holy cow, I LOVE this version!!! I used star anise instead of the licorice root it called for and just enough of the aroma and taste of it come through to make this wine truly unique and totally awesome. :h :hug :r

Where can I find the recipe for this DB version/variation?

Thanks...

So I've been reading through pages of Dave's Dragon's Blood, and haven't found a straight raspberry version. I am thinking about it, but am worried about the acid in raspberries. I'm not sure how much lemon to start with. It will be a little spendy, but well worth the $6/ bottle price.

Yes, I have made a raspberry version before. I make one batch each years around Halloween. There's a vampire on the label. I make it exactly like the standard DB, with all raspberries. I also add some raspberry extract at the end for extra flavor. My wife loves it!

I was wondering where that post went... A couple days ago I posted a question about adding DME and it never showed up, so I figured it was an error with the posting. Turns out I posted it to the "15 day" thread, d'oh!

Here was my question:

There is another thread on the forums about using dried malt extract (DME) in wines. Has anyone tried adding DME to a batch of DB? If you are using light or extra light DME it should not impart that much flavor and add body.

Of course, if bananas do the same thing they are definitely cheaper.

DangerDave, Is your recipe for the Peach Mango that you have pictured in your LAB available anywhere? GaBoy

Hah! Now that's a great story! Another conversion! I am very sorry, Jocelyn. Maybe I should give more of a warning. I'm so glad it came out good, though. I'm proud of you! You made it!

Now, make some more! I now ferment most of my original DB in my 32 gallon Brute trash can---at about 18 gallons at a time. It's really not much more work than making one batch vs. three. I just triple everything but the yeast, which only takes one packet. Making a triple batch gives me a break in between, or else I'd be making it constantly.

Great job, everyone! I love the stories, pics, and updates. Don't stop! The world needs more Dragon Blood! :hug
DangerDave, Is your recipe for the gorgeous Peach Mango that you have pictured in your LAB available anywhere?
GaBoy

Wow, that one was some time ago, gaboy! Thanks for looking through the Lab thread. I need to do an update soon. I'll try to dig that out of my old log, but you've caught me at a bag time. I'm at work, and my notes are at home. I've got family over this weekend for early TG, because I'm off adventuring next week (until next weekend).

I hope you don't mind being patient. :ft

I also want to see that peach mango combo to see what you did....mine still hazy after another addition of pectic enzyme....

Wow, that one was some time ago, gaboy! Thanks for looking through the Lab thread. I need to do an update soon. I'll try to dig that out of my old log, but you've caught me at a bag time. I'm at work, and my notes are at home. I've got family over this weekend for early TG, because I'm off adventuring next week (until next weekend).

I hope you don't mind being patient. :ft

I don't mind waiting AT ALL for that BEAUTIFUL wine!!! THANKS!

The Lemon Peach DB variation I bottled awhile back must have improved over the last month or so. What my wife just liked back then she now "loves" based on the glass she poured and drank tonight. Janet said it has improved with more of a peach smell and taste coming through.

I know that DB and many of its variations are good early drinkers but do they tend to have a life cycle? Meaning, they tend to improve over the course of so meany months, then reach a peak, then start to decline in taste?

Yes, Bill, they do. And it seems it depends on the fruit. But it's still a matter of personal taste. I don't like my original older than six months or so. I think the flavor drops off. Some people disagree with that assessment. Some people like their wines young---like me---even their reds. A young (one year or less) red has a nice bite that I personally enjoy. I like my whites crisp and tart, so they get drank early as well. That's probably the impetus for the DB recipe: the fact that I enjoy young wines.

It's not a matter of right or wrong, good or bad. It's just what you like. And you really just have to try and see what it is you like and how to make it. That's what makes this hobby so engrossing. Learning what you and yours enjoy, how to make it, and when to drink it.

The best part is that making wine involves drinking a lot of wine! :dg

A picture of beauty... 16 more bottles of dragon blood added to the supply. Back sweetened to 1.015. Yep, we like it sweet. Next time i want to attempt an addition of chocolate flavor. Tastes great!

Nathan, Are those regular corks, they look so white, very striking look!! GaBoy

Yes, Bill, they do. And it seems it depends on the fruit. But it's still a matter of personal taste. I don't like my original older than six months or so. I think the flavor drops off. Some people disagree with that assessment. Some people like their wines young---like me---even their reds. A young (one year or less) red has a nice bite that I personally enjoy. I like my whites crisp and tart, so they get drank early as well. That's probably the impetus for the DB recipe: the fact that I enjoy young wines.

It's not a matter of right or wrong, good or bad. It's just what you like. And you really just have to try and see what it is you like and how to make it. That's what makes this hobby so engrossing. Learning what you and yours enjoy, how to make it, and when to drink it.

The best part is that making wine involves drinking a lot of wine! :dg

Problem (or is it a problem?) Dave is that I've yet to make a batch of kit or DB wine that I haven't at least liked. And most I've more than just liked. I keep slowly branching out but have yet to produce a real dud. [Please understand that I've met with many failures in other hobbies and other areas of my life. But so far not in wine making.]

Latest posts

Back