DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started my second batch of DB this morning.

V
V
V
V
V

What? Must every message I post here be full of profundity and worthy of half a dozen likes?
smilie.gif

Just a quick update on my dragonette! Cracked open a bottle that was bottled 2-3 weeks ago and it's quite nice. I think I posted before that I added a bit more acid blend to make up for no lemon and it's nicely balanced with a hint of tartness!

Thanks again Dave for the awesome recipe!!

Just a quick update on my dragonette! Cracked open a bottle that was bottled 2-3 weeks ago and it's quite nice. I think I posted before that I added a bit more acid blend to make up for no lemon and it's nicely balanced with a hint of tartness!

Thanks again Dave for the awesome recipe!!

What size batch did you make and How much acid blend did you use I was asked to make a batch without the lemon. As my last batch I has some people that said it was way to tart for them. Before you ask I made a 5 gallon batch but used all ingredients (as in fruit and lemon) for a 6 gallon batch.

Gonna start an all blueberry DB in the next couple days. Any insight of if I shud double recipe for fruit (6gal batch) and/or use acid blend instead of lemon juice?

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Gonna start an all blueberry DB in the next couple days. Any insight of if I shud double recipe for fruit (6gal batch) and/or use acid blend instead of lemon juice?

I believe with the substitution of acid blend for lemon juice you're making what is being called "Dragonette" not DB. Maybe research Dragonette to get your answer?

I'm very happy with my all blueberry dragon blood!!!
I used the 48Oz of lemon juice and 9lbs of fruit. It tastes great. Almost has a merlot smell/taste.
But that's my opinion.
I'm making a dragonette now with triple berry (strawberry, raspberry, and blackberry).
So I don't have a non lemon juice variety to compare tastes yet.

We tried a Dragonette version and did not like it at all. Now maybe it needed more acid blend but the final product was sort of flat. Since then it has all been made with either lemon or lime juice.

Blue-razz is now at SG of .994 (3rd day)
But still has that fermation froth coating the top.
Still throwing bubbles like crazy!

Blue-razz is now at SG of .994 (3rd day)
But still has that fermation froth coating the top.
Still throwing bubbles like crazy!

Have you pulled the fruit out and put it under an air lock? Reason I ask is that it seems that I'd want the fruit in longer than 3 days even though SG is <1.000 and instructions would have you removing the fruit pack.

Have you pulled the fruit out and put it under an air lock? Reason I ask is that it seems that I'd want the fruit in longer than 3 days even though SG is <1.000 and instructions would have you removing the fruit pack.

I squeezed the heck out of the bag, pulled the bag. Gave a stir, letting it sit until tonight (if I can get to racking)
The fruit was dried out and has been in the must for almost 3 weeks due to slow, slow ferm.
I don't think the fruit has much more to give!

Been sipping on mine over ice, made to the original recipe, not bad, I'll double the fruit on the next one though, I think this needs some more flavor.

I do end up pretty hung over, not sure if it's from the ingredients or the drink just being so good while drunk to excess!

I squeezed the heck out of the bag, pulled the bag. Gave a stir, letting it sit until tonight (if I can get to racking)
The fruit was dried out and has been in the must for almost 3 weeks due to slow, slow ferm.
I don't think the fruit has much more to give!

Ok, I just got this. You mean your SG has been at .994 for three days? I thought, along with I think bkisel, that you meant your start to finish ferment had been done in 3 days, therefore not giving your must much time with the fruit.

Ok so I made the original recipe DB and I'm sorry to say but so far I'm not a fan. I tried adding raisins and lemon zest and I just can't get myself to like it. I was thinking about adding a raspberry extract to it to make it drinkable instead of pouring down the drain? I'm not giving up though last night I started the tropical DB and decided to use 14lbs of fruit I hoping this gives it more flavor.

Ok so I made the original recipe DB and I'm sorry to say but so far I'm not a fan. I tried adding raisins and lemon zest and I just can't get myself to like it. I was thinking about adding a raspberry extract to it to make it drinkable instead of pouring down the drain? I'm not giving up though last night I started the tropical DB and decided to use 14lbs of fruit I hoping this gives it more flavor.

You made it exactly as the recipe states? If so, give it a month or two in the bottle and it will be totally different. Fruit forward with a smaller bite from the lemon. I haven't heard of one person that made it like the recipe reads that didn't like it for what it is.

You made it exactly as the recipe states? If so, give it a month or two in the bottle and it will be totally different. Fruit forward with a smaller bite from the lemon. I haven't heard of one person that made it like the recipe reads that didn't like it for what it is.

Yes I made it exactly as the recipe states. I've had it finished in a carboy for a month. Maybe I'll give it awhile longer. Would bottling it be any different than leaving it in the carboy?i don't want to waste my time bottling it if I don't like it

Did you backsweeten it yet? If so, how much sugar did you use or what is the final SG?
And no, carboy or bottle would be about the same one month in.

Yes I made it exactly as the recipe states. I've had it finished in a carboy for a month. Maybe I'll give it awhile longer. Would bottling it be any different than leaving it in the carboy?i don't want to waste my time bottling it if I don't like it

Don't fret, Rmstuck. It's virtually impossible to make a wine recipe that everyone will love. While this recipe has been very successful with most folks, it is not for everyone.

However, there are lots of different versions. Maybe you can find one you like.

Good luck!

I've started a blackcurrant one of these! I'm only making a 5.6lt batch (the size of the carboys here in New Zealand that I have) so everything is scaled down in measurements - except the fruit (which instead of 700g I put in 2kg) and the pectin (which I added according to the weight of the fruit). I can't wait to see how it turns out!

I've started a blackcurrant one of these! I'm only making a 5.6lt batch (the size of the carboys here in New Zealand that I have) so everything is scaled down in measurements - except the fruit (which instead of 700g I put in 2kg) and the pectin (which I added according to the weight of the fruit). I can't wait to see how it turns out!

now that sounds yummy! Wonder where I can get some blackcurrants???

Latest posts

Back