DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, Julie, you did miss it. The yeast experiment worked perfectly. The 18 gallon batch fermented dry right on schedule. One packet of EC-1118 yeast. Those little buggers are great! I only risked this trial on a big batch because if it didn't take off, it was easily fixable by adding some more yeast. Here's a picture after it was clear and filtered (yesterday)...

IMG_0774.jpg

Just for reference, this batch was started three weeks ago. Ready to bottle. I don't push mine much faster than that, now. I always have it around. No need to hurry anymore.

Last edited:
I know this has been asked, but I could not find the answer.
Oak and DB?
Yeah or nay?

Has anyone ever tried just a touch of oak?

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Yes, and yes. The last single batch I made, I added one full cup of untoasted oak powder. That was a bit too much, so this time, I added 1/3 as much, and it came out great. Perfect, actually. That's what I'll be using from now on.

On the same note, I tried using some toasted French oak a while back, but couldn't get enough oak flavor in the DB from that. So I'm sticking with the untoasted oak: one third cup per six gallon batch.

Well, Julie, you did miss it. The yeast experiment worked perfectly. The 18 gallon batch fermented dry right on schedule. One packet of EC-1118 yeast. Those little buggers are great! I only risked this trial on a big batch because if it didn't take off, it was easily fixable by adding some more yeast. Here's a picture after it was clear and filtered (yesterday)...

IMG_0774.jpg

Just for reference, this batch was started three weeks ago. Ready to bottle. I don't push mine much faster than that, now. I always have it around. No need to hurry anymore.

Thanks Dave, I would never have thought that but 1118 is a workhorse, so you want to try a batch with 1122? :i

Yes, and yes. The last single batch I made, I added one full cup of untoasted oak powder. That was a bit too much, so this time, I added 1/3 as much, and it came out great. Perfect, actually. That's what I'll be using from now on.

On the same note, I tried using some toasted French oak a while back, but couldn't get enough oak flavor in the DB from that. So I'm sticking with the untoasted oak: one third cup per six gallon batch.

Ok Dave let me clarify this 1/3 cup untoasted ____ oak (French or American). And was it added to primary or secondary?
I am guessing primary being it was a powder.

What is this stuff in my DB!? I followed Dave's original recipe (except I added 9 lbs of fruit). This morning, after a few days at .994 I racked to my secondary, added the sparkalloid, degassed and went out. When I came home I went to check on my DB and found this. Was it not done fermenting? Is this just lees on top? Should I re-rack? Let it sit?

dbjunk.jpg

Started a blueberry/raspberry.
Added 1/4 cup heavy American oak to primary, 3lb each of rasp & blue.

Problem is I used all the sugar I had in the house 20 cups & I am only at an SG of 1.070.

Is powdered sugar an equivalent substitute?

This leaves me with 2 options. Let the must sit until afterwork tommorow when I can grab a bag if sugar.
Or just leave it as is and hope I enjoy an ABV of less than 10%.

Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

What is this stuff in my DB!? I followed Dave's original recipe (except I added 9 lbs of fruit). This morning, after a few days at .994 I racked to my secondary, added the sparkalloid, degassed and went out. When I came home I went to check on my DB and found this. Was it not done fermenting? Is this just lees on top? Should I re-rack? Let it sit?

Same thing happened to me! I racked again, degassed a bunch and let it sit for a week. All was well and I finished up back sweetening today. I don't think it was done fermenting but... Oh well. It still tastes yummy! Good luck!

Wow, keahunter! That's a new one! What did you do?! :f I have never seen that in any of mine.

Two questions to narrow down what went wrong: How long did you simmer your Sparkolloid? Did you add the Sparkolloid before you degassed? It should be added last, after degassing.

Wow, keahunter! That's a new one! What did you do?! :f I have never seen that in any of mine.

Two questions to narrow down what went wrong: How long did you simmer your Sparkolloid? Did you add the Sparkolloid before you degassed? It should be added last, after degassing.

I simmered it for eight minutes and added it after degassing. I wasn't sure if I degassed enough so I was going to go to degas again when I noticed it floating on top

That does look like some foamy form of Sparkolloid floating on top. I'm really at a loss for immediate advice. If it were mine, I'd leave it sit and see how it evolves. I wish I had more to give you. Maybe someone else will help us out on this one.

I agree with dangerdave, leave it sit. It actually looks like it is fermenting

Thanks everyone I guess I'll just let it sit for a while. I am assuming that I do not need to add any more sparkalloid

Started a blueberry/raspberry.
Added 1/4 cup heavy American oak to primary, 3lb each of rasp & blue.

Problem is I used all the sugar I had in the house 20 cups & I am only at an SG of 1.070.

Is powdered sugar an equivalent substitute?

This leaves me with 2 options. Let the must sit until afterwork tommorow when I can grab a bag if sugar.
Or just leave it as is and hope I enjoy an ABV of less than 10%.

Any advice?

As I have read here many times, powdered sugar often contains cornstarch, so you do NOT want to add one that does.

There would be nothing wrong with starting now, and adding the additional sugar tomorrow. Or with waiting and starting tomorrow.

so about a month ago I bottled my first batch of Dragons Blood. on bottling day there wasn't much flavor, but I was happy with the sweetness at around 5 cups of sugar. I tried a bottle last night and tonight, it is drinkable and possibly has more fruit flavor, but it also seems dryer and more acidic? or maybe it's the burn of the alcohol coming through? I plan on trying it again in a month around Easter time. just didn't know if anyone thought it would get better....... I was afraid to over sweeten from comments that it gets sweeter with time. so I'm not sure what to do now that its not tasting as sweet.....

Back