DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh how I love the smell of YEAST in the morning! And when I put my ear down I can hear it hissing and popping....all is well.

I am making my first dragon blood - I followed Dave's recipe exactly except for two things. I added about a 1/2 cup of raisins, and I did not have any yeast energizer on hand. Will the missing energizer change anything? Or will it just slow down the ferment?

if it slows down on like day 3, and a 1/2 dose of yeast nutrient...
look into using something like superferment, as i do..all in one nutrient for you wine. no energizer needed.

Well, bottled my first batch of DB last week. Made some labels tonight and opened a bottle. Not bad at all! My wife loves it; I back-sweetened with 3/4 cup of sugar/gallon like Dave does. I'm already going out to get more berries for the next batch. My wife and I like the Moon, and have several weathervanes and decorations around our yard so we made up the whole La Luna Winery thing; I'm trying to make my wines include the word "moon" somewhere in the name. But....it's still Dragon Blood! ;)

Nice looking wine. Nice label.

I see from your label that you're a fellow Nutmegger. There's a bunch of us here; are we about to take over this forum?
smilie.gif

Nice looking wine. Nice label.

I see from your label that you're a fellow Nutmegger. There's a bunch of us here; are we about to take over this forum?
smilie.gif

LOL. I guess with the lousy weather we've been getting here, we may as well stay hunkered down all winter and make wine! :D

I do not mean to hijack this thread at all...but I am curious about something.Forgive me Dave.
Since so many are up north...What do you pay for a Live lobster up there.

So.... Any thoughts on what I can do if these floaters don't become sinkers? ;-)
Do you think maybe it needs pectic enzyme to break it down? Another dose of super kleer? Bentonite?

Just concerned..... I don't know what the problem is :-(
Thanks!!!

These floaters if they are what I think it is are pretty big in size?? I had them in my apple wine they will fall out. But they get suspended easily when carboy is moved I refiltered and got rid of it.

These floaters if they are what I think it is are pretty big in size?? I had them in my apple wine they will fall out. But they get suspended easily when carboy is moved I refiltered and got rid of it.

Yes! They are big and spongy/foamy looking. Sound about right?
I am hoping they fall. I don't have filtering equipment, so I'll just have to be careful.
Wonder what it's from....

I do not mean to hijack this thread at all...but I am curious about something.Forgive me Dave.
Since so many are up north...What do you pay for a Live lobster up there.

Average is $11.99/lb but sometimes it goes on sale for cheaper I'm afraid to ask what retail is down there?

Yes! They are big and spongy/foamy looking. Sound about right?

I am hoping they fall. I don't have filtering equipment, so I'll just have to be careful.

Wonder what it's from....

I had this problem in my apple cyser I made. I just took a strainer bag and put it over the tip of my racking cane and it kept all the big chunks out. I don't have filter either. This works well though.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Joined the fun....my results after 15 days....I left the fruit in loose.....used a jelly bag at first racking.....then followed the steps DD laid out......

Also filled a case of 16oz beer bottles for cooler fillers....thanks for the great recipe.....:h

IMG_20140314_200950.jpg

Joined the fun....my results after 15 days....I left the fruit in loose.....used a jelly bag at first racking.....then followed the steps DD laid out......

Also filled a case of 16oz beer bottles for cooler fillers....thanks for the great recipe.....:h

Nice and welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

James......I would not say they are brown or white....they seem to be purple/jet blue colored! hahaha
It looks almost like blueberry insides.....but there wasn't any fruit pulp when I added the super kleer. It's like the 2nd step of Super Kleer had some reaction with something in the wine......Wonder why?!?!?!
Would Pectin hurt the flavor of the finished wine if I tried to see if it would break it down?
I guess I could work around it....hopefully. And maybe they will eventually fall. But 24hrs later, and they haven't budged. :re

2014-03-15 20.16.24.jpg

Latest posts

Back