DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plus, in the original recipe for Skeeterpee (which DB is a derivative of) it actually calls for the gross lees from a previous batch instead of throwing in fresh yeast.

The only thing I've read which could throw it off is if your last primary fermented dry and your yeast are stressed or under the effects of alcohol poisoning. But that doesn't look like a problem for you.

(Again, I'm VERY new. So take what I say with a grain of salt)

Well what I was getting at was the question of - was there enough yeast cells possibly in that tiny amount of must to equal me putting in more and if not, would it take that much longer to multiply and get up to speed quickly.

But yes I am cheap too and if I don't have to, I won't add more lol! Those EC-1118 guys and gals are little warriors! In the end even if it starts off slowly I know it's going because very next morning I have a cap. I'm sure that buy tonight when I was going to add more, there might even be some fizzing or foaming!

Carolyn

Not certain about the size of my "True Brew" primary bucket. Maybe 7 gallons? Must is about 1 to 1 1/8" from the top.

Plus, in the original recipe for Skeeterpee (which DB is a derivative of) it actually calls for the gross lees from a previous batch instead of throwing in fresh yeast.

The only thing I've read which could throw it off is if your last primary fermented dry and your yeast are stressed or under the effects of alcohol poisoning. But that doesn't look like a problem for you.

(Again, I'm VERY new. So take what I say with a grain of salt)

No that certainly makes sense what you say! I appreciate you takin the time to respond :) yes I have that covered! It was a nice healthy foaming ferment which I just transferred out because I needed this 10 gal pail. I transferred it out at 1.030 so no where near dry. It's still foaming nicely in the new carboys.

If it were dry I would have rinsed it all out and sanitized the pail and just used fresh.

Carolyn

I was making my pear and apple wine at about the same time and didn't have another pack of yeast and didn't feel like running to the ss to get some more and the fermentation was rolling along in the must I had made the day before I knew the yeast multiply so since it was like wine I skimmed some of yeast off the first batch and pitched it into the sterile must. The day after it was rolling along too!

That's awesome! Nothing like saving a few $$ here and there! I'm glad I tried this!

Carolyn

Just make sure your adding to sterile must.. don't know if your using fresh berries or what

I asked my husband to price the fruit for me and it seemed competitive to Walmart. Can't remember now. Are u taking Costco in the US or CA?

Carolyn

Is that cdn? I pay $10.97 per 1.75kg bag of fruit. Paid $1.50 for 2kg bags of sugar at Walmart. I'm sure sugar is cheaper at Costco... As well as lemon juice.

Carolyn

I asked my husband to price the fruit for me and it seemed competitive to Walmart. Can't remember now. Are u taking Costco in the US or CA?

Carolyn

Canada. (Near Toronto)

HUGE pineapples for $3 (fresh)
Blackberries always come on sale.
Blueberries are once a year but you get a huge tub for $4 when they're in season.

Then there's always the 2.72kg bag of frozen strawberries for $8. That's the exact amount required by the recipe too! So no measuring needed!

Those are good prices! When we lived in Ottawa I was always there. Now I have to send hubby with a list of things because he works in the city. But it doesn't help me when I don't know what's on the shelves and at what prices! I just paid $10.97 for a 1.75kg bag of strawberries.

Carolyn

I paid 9 something for 25 LBS of sugar at Sam's Club.

4 * $1 10oz bags of frozen blue berries dollar store
8 * $1 12oz bags of frozen mixed berry (strawberry, raspberry, and blackberry)
= Yeah 2 extra pounds, but who's counting lol.

The Reallemon I was just happy to find at Food 4 Less.

My excitement for the first batch of Dragon's Blood (under $25) = Priceless...lol!

I paid 9 something for 25 LBS of sugar at Sam's Club.

4 * $1 10oz bags of frozen blue berries dollar store

8 * $1 12oz bags of frozen mixed berry (strawberry, raspberry, and blackberry)

= Yeah 2 extra pounds, but who's counting lol.

The Reallemon I was just happy to find at Food 4 Less.

My excitement for the first batch of Dragon's Blood (under $25) = Priceless...lol!

I don't get frozen fruit at my dollar stores :-( that's a good price. I pay $39 for a batch but I always use double fruit... Plus lemon juice. Yesterday I tried acid blend in mine... Just to see what the difference is. Oh and I always make between 6.5 to 7gals. Makes it worth my while.

Carolyn

I wanted to try Dragon Blood close to the orginal recipe on the first go.

It's not uncommon for me to walk in a dallor store and grab all the frozen berries they have. I even asked one to the managers to pre-order me cases. None of my dollar store fruit wines have finished yet, so there is no telling if it was worth the hassle of raiding multiple dollar stores to do one batch or wine. It's a pain when you need 32 bags of fruit and you only find 6 at a time. If they have it at all. That is part my Dragon's Blood appeal, normally make use 24 LBS of fruit to make 6 gallons. That and the fact it was created by a fellow Ohio firefighter is just a bonus.

Earlier this morning I pitched the yeast on my first batch of DB (which is also my first non-kit wine). Kitchen temp @ 68F daytime and 65F @ night so added brew belt last night. Must temp @ pitch was 74F and SG was 1.074. From past experience I'll be able to unplug the brew belt while fermentation is really cooking and plug back in during "secondary". I've also found that moving the belt up or down the bucket allows for a bit of temperature regulation.

I'm even more excited about making this DB than I was with my first kit wine. Think it has to do with starting more from scratch with DB than with a kit.

Last edited:
I wanted to try Dragon Blood close to the orginal recipe on the first go.

It's not uncommon for me to walk in a dallor store and grab all the frozen berries they have. I even asked one to the managers to pre-order me cases. None of my dollar store fruit wines have finished yet, so there is no telling if it was worth the hassle of raiding multiple dollar stores to do one batch or wine. It's a pain when you need 32 bags of fruit and you only find 6 at a time. If they have it at all. That is part my Dragon's Blood appeal, normally make use 24 LBS of fruit to make 6 gallons. That and the fact it was created by a fellow Ohio firefighter is just a bonus.

Not a challenge, just want to learn... Why so much fruit when the DB recipe calls for just 6 lbs of fruit?

Thanx...

Latest posts

Back