DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Highly contemplating what you'd come out with if you used only blackberry? I found 1LB bags on sale for $2.50 each. At that price it might be worth it just to experiment and still put some back for using later.

And I BTW, I'm so jealous of people who have a dedicated space. I'm all cramped up in this apartment, but making do with what spaces I can squirrel stuff away in.

what do you mean what you would come up with.
if you use less fruit, it will be like a Beaujolais
if you use a lot of fruit it will be more like a Bordeaux.
Depends on how dry are wet, you want it.
All totaled I have done about 75 gallons of black berry wine in the dragon blood style.
Beaujolais, i use lemon.
The Bordeaux, I dont use lemon.
Either one is an excellent wine.

And for the record....My first wine was a blackberry and it was good.
I found daves dragon blood, made it and it was good.
I started with almost 500 lbs of black berries i had in the freezer.
Trying different recipes, etc...None was as good as a straight black berry made like dragon blood.
I have made so many variants i can not even count them.
I have none left in the freezer, I am getting ready for march are april harvest, where I will turn all of it into wine.. and port wine.
I hope to have at least 900 lbs this year........
half will go to blackberry dragon blood, and half to a port wine.
Next to grapes, blackberries are the best.

The blackberry DB version is also one of my favorates. Well, they're ALL good, but the blackberry is a good unto itself. If you haven't tried a batch, I (and James, I'm sure) strongly recommend it.

So many choices lol! So exact same recipe same amt of lemon etc?

That's the way I made it. Remember, the amount of fruit will dictate the level of flavor. After my first batch (six pounds of fruit), I made another using nine pounds. There was a noticeable difference. Both were good, just on a different level. When I make another, I will go with twelve pounds of fruit. Still economical, yet more flavorful.

Okay, consider me Talked into. As if I needed to be talked into! There is a limit of 6 on the berries so I got 6 today, will get 6 more tomorrow and the day after that... etc til I am either broke, out of storage space or they run out.

I've turned into a mad-woman!

carolyn you are too easy...LOL.....
do one and I will show you how to do a blackberry port that will knock your nickers off.

Easy peasy! Ya I was already thinking about that idea after reading your post! I'm going to have to go shopping for more fruit this weekend. Hmmm I wonder if I'll have to do 2 batches separately.

I have 3 gal triple berry DB cleared and added kmeta and sorbate. I want to stash it 4 a few months. I just found 2.5 lbs blueberries in the freezer. They were fresh and unprocessed local that I rinsed and froze. They have been frozen for months.

I want to age the wine in gal jugs with the blueberries. Do I have to do anything to them 1st? How much per gallon?
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I didn't see you on that page, Paul. Where you at? :c

Note to self...update wine list!

Last edited:
I have 3 gal triple berry DB cleared and added kmeta and sorbate. I want to stash it 4 a few months. I just found 2.5 lbs blueberries in the freezer. They were fresh and unprocessed local that I rinsed and froze. They have been frozen for months.

I want to age the wine in gal jugs with the blueberries. Do I have to do anything to them 1st? How much per gallon?
Thanks!

Microwave them to thaw them out. I used three pounds in six gallons when I did this. Turned out great! So, try about half a pound per gallon. Don't forget to add the juices, too!

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back