DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I posted this question in the wrong forum earlier, so reposting it here where it should have. My first DB wine and I am using some wild alaska blueberries that I had in refrig instead of costco fruits. Following recipe exactly. Initial SG 1.080, temps 72-74. It got to 1.066 and stuck there. Some thoughts were low ph but I can’t measure it. Since then I timidly added one tsp of calcium carbonate which I had around. I also added one tsp of yeast nutrient. The ferment seems to have restarted. Now I wish I had only added one thing at a time! Overnight it went from 1.066 to 1.064. Any ideas of which addititive started it up again? It is probably not enough for 6 gal, so I’ll watch and see if it stalls again, then just add ONE of the ingredients.
In the meanwhile I’ll look for a inexpensive pH meter...Ideas? I have paper, but can’t read them with this dark wine.
Thanks.
Yah, I saw your post there, hopefully you’ll get some experienced help here. I’ve read lots, but not too much actual experience. If I had to guess, my guess would be pH. Lots (not all) of people have trouble fermenting Lemon. Did you use the “Real Lemon” brand? That would remove one variable. Blueberries also have high acidity (low pH), and maybe your Alaskan variety is even worse. I thought maybe bananas or raisins might be less acidic, but I really don’t know. I (our you) would have to research it a bit. You might try searching for problems fermenting Blueberry wine.
As for a pH meter, I started looking, but didn’t follow through. Make sure you read the specs. 0.1 accuracy is just barely enough since you’re dealing with a range of about 0.6 I believe. I know lots of people use them so you should get some good advice. What’s your budget?

Nice looking collection. Are the bottles on the left screw tops? That quantity should last for a while LOL...............................Dizzy
Yes, they’re Everclear bottles. The reason I figure the screw tops will be OK is that I don’t expect they’ll last for a while. Lol. They’re good enough for Everclear, my DB should be OK for 2 or 3 months! I did cork a few so I could see how it ages.

Nice looking collection. Are the bottles on the left screw tops? That quantity should last for a while LOL...............................Dizzy
I was a little unsure about posting the picture, thinking I might get lynched for not corking. But they’re kept cool in my garage, much easier to open, free, and reusable! To be honest I could probably leave the bottles open for the length of time they’ll be around! Lol

Yes, they’re Everclear bottles. The reason I figure the screw tops will be OK is that I don’t expect they’ll last for a while. Lol. They’re good enough for Everclear, my DB should be OK for 2 or 3 months! I did cork a few so I could see how it ages.
ebay of amazon you should get a PH meter for about $20 or so, plut get a couple three pouches of buffer solution, i use a 4.1% solution, since i'm looking for a PH of 3.1 to 3.8 more or less , but hoping for 3.4 to 3.6
Dawg

ebay of amazon you should get a PH meter for about $20 or so, plut get a couple three pouches of buffer solution, i use a 4.1% solution, since i'm looking for a PH of 3.1 to 3.8 more or less , but hoping for 3.4 to 3.6
Dawg
Maybe I need to look harder. For anything more accurate than 0.1 I was seeing more like $100.

I think I saw your recommendation of the MW102 not too long ago. That’s what started me looking because I could see it being an important tool now that I’m starting to get into fermenting my own fresh fruit. It’s about $200 Canadian including shipping. I think that’s when I stopped looking. Lol. But do you think the first link would be any good? I mean, I could afford $20, just thought maybe you get what you pay for, and that’s a huge difference in price.

I think I saw your recommendation of the MW102 not too long ago. That’s what started me looking because I could see it being an important tool now that I’m starting to get into fermenting my own fresh fruit. It’s about $200 Canadian including shipping. I think that’s when I stopped looking. Lol. But do you think the first link would be any good? I mean, I could afford $20, just thought maybe you get what you pay for, and that’s a huge difference in price.
fudge brother, $200 you could make wine in space, i reckon these that make fancy grape wines, whew, but a no pailet hack like me, 🐶 i'll stay on the porch.
Dawg

it keeps mine tasting good, just my 2 cents,,,
Dawg

Yah, I saw your post there, hopefully you’ll get some experienced help here. I’ve read lots, but not too much actual experience. If I had to guess, my guess would be pH. Lots (not all) of people have trouble fermenting Lemon. Did you use the “Real Lemon” brand? That would remove one variable. Blueberries also have high acidity (low pH), and maybe your Alaskan variety is even worse. I thought maybe bananas or raisins might be less acidic, but I really don’t know. I (our you) would have to research it a bit. You might try searching for problems fermenting Blueberry wine.
As for a pH meter, I started looking, but didn’t follow through. Make sure you read the specs. 0.1 accuracy is just barely enough since you’re dealing with a range of about 0.6 I believe. I know lots of people use them so you should get some good advice. What’s your budget?
I did use “real lemon”. I did my first skeeter pee earlier and had great results fermenting. A bit gassy though! Finally settled down. DB would have probably worked fine too, except the blueberries swap. Guess I need a pH measuring device. I gave up winemaking a decade or so ago due to lots of bad wines. I’m inspired by this forum that maybe i can make some great ones once in a while!

[/QUOTe

Thanks. I may try the cheaper one just to learn what they can do for me in winemaking. Never used one or paid attention to pH before.

I think I would certainly give that first one a shot. At that price, it's almost a no brainer. I would buy pure mixed up validation solution, it's just so easy to use.

Could be the CC, but I like the nutrient addition as well. Good choices, trust your gut!

My first-ever DB is winding down now (SG 1.006) and in reading the directions it says to let this finalize in the primary bucket, then rack. I would have thought I should rack it before it totally stabilized to get it under airlock sooner for protection. Am I reading this correctly?
By the way, after my ferment stalling at 1.066 and adding a bit of yeast nutrient and a bit of calcium carbonate it took off and has been going steadily since. That worked. Since then I have ordered a pH meter to help with future batches.

the directions it says to let this finalize in the primary bucket, then rack
Dragon Blood often ferments very quickly and usually not aged very long, so oxygen isn't as big of a concern. The author of the recipe @dangerdave says he ferments his 18 gallons dry in his primary Brute fermenter. Of course it doesn't hurt to rack it into a carboy at some point under 1.010, and I'm sure many do. Mine ferments slower (cold in Canada, haha), so I finish mine in glass. I don't worry much about oxidation because Dragon Blood doesn't last more than a month or two, heck most of mine don't even get corks, just stored upright in Everclear bottles with original screw caps, in my garage. I cork a few so I can taste them later, and give as gifts.

Thanks! If it is as good as I hear it is, mine will go quickly too. I think I will opt for moving it into glass in a few days and watch out for overflow. Have the AIO now so that will help with racking and degasssing.
My temps in Alaska are probably close to yours since I am. coastal.

Hi again Kc, I bottled a blood orange sangria today and tried an experiment of corking "screw top" wine bottles to see if they would work/break/explode? Oddly enough, they corked just fine which was an unexpectedly pleasant surprise since I do have many screw-top wine bottles........Just thought I would share.......................Dizzy

Thanks! If it is as good as I hear it is, mine will go quickly too. I think I will opt for moving it into glass in a few days and watch out for overflow. Have the AIO now so that will help with racking and degasssing.
My temps in Alaska are probably close to yours since I am. coastal.
I just bottled today with the AIO and it worked wonderfully. I am sure you will totally enjoy the AIO as I do! (I have a nephew in Thorne Bay, are you close?)............Dizzy

Latest posts

Back