DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have about 8 gallons ready for super kleer.
Will one package be fine for this batch?
The package is 2-in-1. Kieselsol and Chotosan.

Go for it!

All four of my near standard recipe 6 gallon DB have cleared quickly and very thoroughly in about 2-3 days so I believe a standard dosage should work well on an eight gallon batch.

Matter of fact my standard DB has not needed a third racking before bottling. There is a bit of dusting two weeks after racking of the stabilizing, degassing and clearing phase but so long as I remember to put the tip on my racking cane I'm able to bottle without transferring any sediment. My DB has remained clear even after many months in the bottle.

Last edited:
I found another super Kleer package so I will play safe and use portion of both.

Just bottled and labeled gonna be giving away a bunch the next 2 day. Been a long day wrapping presents and bottling wine. Did get to us my new whole house filter. Gravity feed and it worked great

1419398244257.jpg

1419398260208.jpg

Has anyone seen this, looks like clump formation on the top.

Only happene de on the bigger vessel

ImageUploadedByWine Making1419423082.622678.jpg

Has anyone seen this, looks like clump formation on the top.

Only happene de on the bigger vessel

View attachment 19748

Mine clumps aren't that big but I pretty much have the same thing going on in my current batch that I used lots of plums in. I was thinking maybe pectin but I really have no idea. Mine formed after adding a second dose of Super Kleer because it wasn't clearing at all. I hope someone else can give us both an answer!

Just bottled and labeled gonna be giving away a bunch the next 2 day. Been a long day wrapping presents and bottling wine. Did get to us my new whole house filter. Gravity feed and it worked great

Maybe it is just the picture but this doesn't look anywhere near clear to me, I didn't look back to see but how old is this batch.

Did you use a strainer bag for your fruit? Looks like pulp or fruit particles to me. I have had that happen once with an orange wine I made. Should be ok

yes, I used nylon bags, I think this may have happened once in the past, don't recall.

I stirred a little bit on the top and most of it fell to the bottom, still some particles stuck on the side but I won't bother.

This may be an effect of the pectic, we'll see.

The other 2 jugs (one gallon and 1/2 gallon) didn't get this.

Maybe it is just the picture but this doesn't look anywhere near clear to me, I didn't look back to see but how old is this batch.

Started it in oct. The bottles are clear just not the glasses. The wine in the glasses was that last bit i had in the filter when i drained the last bit out. Not bad. A little tart, gonna cut back on lemon juice next batch. Hopefully it melows out some like everyone has been saying it will.

How did you like using the fast ferment for your DB? I see you have a filter on it for bottling. Does that take care of the fine lees I assume?I have one that I've been using for beer so far but would like to try it for my next batch of DB.

Last edited:
How did you like using the fast ferment for your DB? I see you have a filter on it for bottling. Does that take care of the fine lees I assume?I have one that I've been using for beer so far but would like to try it for my next batch of DB.

I like it. I started the must and fermentation in a brew bucket the after it stabilized i racked into the fast fermenter. I think it will really shine when doing all liquid batches of stuff with out fruit bags that you have to pull out and squeeze. The big thing i was worried about was gravity feeding the filter. It worked great plenty of flow when bottling.

Awesome, no need for a pump! I've been looking at the fast ferment, and I think I'll pick one up.

I was thinking the same thing! Thought maybe it was the counter top. If that's what filtering does to you, then why use it. I simple rack my and get really clear DB.

Mark:slp

Quick, but not easy question: How do you calcualte your ABV after you have sweetened it?

For example: start at 1.08, frement to 0.994, but sweeten to 1.02.

The on-line calualators only want beginning and end SG.

Thanks,

Mark:a1

Back sweetening does not change the ABV. Just punch in the beginning and ending SG.

Good job with the DB, Mark!

Quick, but not easy question: How do you calcualte your ABV after you have sweetened it?

Thanks,

Don't really know how to calculate it but it is not going to be a lot for 4-6 cups of sugar in a 6 gallon batch. How do I know that? Because when I add my 4 cups of sugar and stir in the wine level in my carboy increases but a little. I suspect 4 cups would change/decrees the % ABV something like .5 % if that much.

Oops! just read what Dave said. So much for my polish logic.

Thanks,

Mark, I have this gauge I use for back sweetening if it helps.
Dry <1.000
Med. Dry 1.000 -1.010
Med Sweet 1.010 - 1.020
Sweet 1.020 - 1.030
Dessert 1.030 - 1.040

Will

Latest posts

Back