DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did hit like on your giant smoothie but I hope you don't take it the wrong way. I only do small batches and big barrel of DB fermenting away got me excited :)

Greg and I had a discussion about it, and we have it nicely worked out. :f

That is a very cool picture, though. Always learning, eh Greg?

Ok Dave, I have read a great deal of this thread and I am ready to make my first attempt at wine from fruit your dragons blood. Although I am going to go with half triple berry and half blueberry, the fruit is thawing as we speak. All of you on here have inspired this first attempt and I thank you.

I just want to say WOW! Yall make some fine food compared to me lol im from central fl. And a common meal looks nothing like that ( I wish it did).

dangerdave, thanks. I started it today. I put in 32ozs of lemon juice and 15ozs of lime. I did this because the berry mix I picked up had dark red cherrys and I thought some lime juice would go good with it. Will add the yeast to it tomorrow. Thanks for the great directions. I like detailed directions as I have a short term memory problem and I can just check things off as I go. One good thing since the short term memory thing I am keeping detailed notes. Which looks like a good thing in this wine making thing. Already looking forward to making some skeeter pee. LOL

Ok Dave, I have read a great deal of this thread and I am ready to make my first attempt at wine from fruit your dragons blood. Although I am going to go with half triple berry and half blueberry, the fruit is thawing as we speak. All of you on here have inspired this first attempt and I thank you.

Good luck! Your fruit variation sounds great.

DB was my first venture past kit wines. Glad I tried it. I've made 5 batches using the recipe, four of which were pretty much follow the recipe exactly and one where I made a peach variation largely base on the DB recipe. All 5 batches have been hits with family and friends.

Making a semi-double batch. About 6gal in total.
One with maybe 15lb of peaches with 2lbs of blueberry.
Pitched D47 last night,
PH ~3.16.
SG ~1.078

The other with 3lbs of strawberry and 3lbs of blueberry.
Pitched EC-1118 last night,
PH ~2.92.
SG ~1.078

I plan on mixing them at the end of fermentation. SG ~1.060 right now.

Would you guys adjust the PH on any of the 2 at this time or leave as is?
I used about 48oz of lemon juice combined for the 2 batches.

Hey Varis,

I notice you've got yet another new Avatar. I'm clueless as to what it is but at least it doesn't appear to be beating its head against the wall. :)

BTW, I'm also clueless about PH as it relates to wine making. All I know is that the DB recipe, without going to far astray, has been very kind to me. :dg

Would you guys adjust the PH on any of the 2 at this time or leave as is? I used about 48oz of lemon juice combined for the 2 batches.

My DB comes out right around pH 3, so if you mix the batches after fermentation, they should balance out nicely.

I bought a pH meter. Used it once to check my finished DB, and have yet to use it again. Taste is the real checker for me.

Thanks Dave.

My previous batch using only peaches, the PH was around 3.5 but only used 32oz of lemon juice.
This time I added 48oz of lemon juice, so that makes a difference to, plus the type of fruit.

I currently have another batch of plum and triple berry going. My first batch met with lots of great reviews so that was my motivation but, dang, plums are a huge pain in the backside! 10 days after moving to the secondary and adding SuperKleer, it is still a thick mess! I will be adding some pectic enzyme and re-dosing with SuperKleer to help move things along so this isn't a cry for help, just a vent and a cautionary note for those who may be planning to add plums to any Dragon Blood batches.

Hope everyone is ready for the holidays and that your celebrations are merry and bright...and helped along with a bottle or three of awesome wine! :xt

I currently have another batch of plum and triple berry going. My first batch met with lots of great reviews so that was my motivation but, dang, plums are a huge pain in the backside! 10 days after moving to the secondary and adding SuperKleer, it is still a thick mess! I will be adding some pectic enzyme and re-dosing with SuperKleer to help move things along so this isn't a cry for help, just a vent and a cautionary note for those who may be planning to add plums to any Dragon Blood batches.

Hope everyone is ready for the holidays and that your celebrations are merry and bright...and helped along with a bottle or three of awesome wine! :xt

Val, What kind of plums did you use, fresh, frozen, puree, etc.?

First batch of Dragon Blood in the bottles...

Greetings,

I bottled my first batch of Dragon Blood.

What a great recipe, thank you Dave.

I have another 6 gallons on it's first rack,

and ingredients for another batch that I plan to play with.

Merry Christmas...

Bottling Day  12-20-14 Resized 380.jpg

Dragon Blood Lable  12-20-14 Resized 380.jpg

Latest posts

Back